Stealing time???

union4life

If he shares a bulk stop with this guy and the guy gets credit for a stop yet picks up no pieces, it does effect him. Every piece the other guy doesn't pick up is another piece Upstate has to.
I have to disagree. I look at it like this. The driver that is taking credit for the stop but not picking up pieces may be "stealing" (I say "may" because it is only stealing if he is not going by the stop) but that is a UPS management issue only. We get paid to do a job. The driver that is complaining needs to understand that he gets paid to pick-up and deliver (service provider). The action is the same. The pay is the same. Mind your business and work at your trade.

Find the other driver after work and let them know your concerns. Let him know that he is stealing, you know he is stealing, and if the company finds out, he will be terminated. Don't help management take a brother's job. We are a family. I can pick a fight with my brother or sister but I'll be damned if I let anyone outside my family mess with my family members.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have to disagree. I look at it like this. The driver that is taking credit for the stop but not picking up pieces may be "stealing" (I say "may" because it is only stealing if he is not going by the stop) but that is a UPS management issue only. We get paid to do a job. The driver that is complaining needs to understand that he gets paid to pick-up and deliver (service provider). The action is the same. The pay is the same. Mind your business and work at your trade.

Find the other driver after work and let them know your concerns. Let him know that he is stealing, you know he is stealing, and if the company finds out, he will be terminated. Don't help management take a brother's job. We are a family. I can pick a fight with my brother or sister but I'll be damned if I let anyone outside my family mess with my family members.

Well said!!!

Unfortunately UpState is the proverbial red headed step child.
He's yet to find a place where he belongs.
He shuns the one entity, the union, where he is part of a brotherhood.
Instead he endears himself to management, who apparently didn't want him either (he's posted about putting in his letter several times).

menotyou

bella amicizia
Letters? I just thought they came and pestered you while you were loading.

"we would love for you to be our Preload/dispatch sup, as you have the right qualifications we are looking for. You are bright, articulate, hard working, punctual, conscientious, and have a positive attitude. You would make a great member of the team."

Over and over. It gets to where you could see the look on their faces when they would come down the belt.

Letters. Funny.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubbles, I have spoken to the other driver several times about this. Nothing has changed. The next logical step would be to advise mgt of the situation and let them take care of it. That will happen tomorrow morning.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

At times the union can be like a herd of wildebeast with no lions present. The weak don't get culled.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
For example if you request an 8 hour day, but the way the route is set up, It is impossible to take a full hour lunch.
If you took an hour lunch, it would knock you off of your schedule and would screw your pickups at the end of the day.
If the work that you have been dispatched does not allow for you to take a lunch, why should the company get a free hour of work on you? This is not a typical 9 to 5 job where you have set hours. As we know all types of things happen during the day that can affect your time. Misloads, construction..ETC All I am saying is that we should get paid for the hours that we actually worked.

You been drinking the brown cool-aid too long. If your contract says you get an hour lunch, You take an hour lunch. If you have not gotten all your bussiness deliveries off in time to take that hour lunch before starting your pickups, you call the center and let them know how many you will have missed for the day. After a few days of this, the route will amazingly be fixed!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Bubbles, I have spoken to the other driver several times about this. Nothing has changed. The next logical step would be to advise mgt of the situation and let them take care of it. That will happen tomorrow morning.

Around here a rat would get caught in a rat trap shortly!!

Re-Raise

In our center we only put in the time we take for lunch, whether it is 10 minutes or an hour. I would hate to have to sit for a full hour every day.

I take my lunch at home. I get the mail, read the paper, check the markets, heat up a sandwich and would still have 45 minutes to kill.

browned out

You been drinking the brown cool-aid too long. If your contract says you get an hour lunch, You take an hour lunch. If you have not gotten all your bussiness deliveries off in time to take that hour lunch before starting your pickups, you call the center and let them know how many you will have missed for the day. After a few days of this, the route will amazingly be fixed!!

Right, If all drivers in our center took lunch between 3rd and 6th hour; another 4 or 5 routes would be created. Make sure you beep your horn, grab hand rail, don't carry a long package on your shoulder, call out UPS at each stop, etc or get a warning notice and somehow UPS does not enforce lunch periods? I can't believe it, something to do with$$$$$$$$. Jokers

Packmule

That's why I'm glad we are a bonus center. Allows drivers to make their own decisions about what to do with break. Freedom. I like that.

C

chuchu

We were told that the lunch break is federally mandated. We were also told by Union members that some drivers in California were given too much work to take a half-hour lunch break so they brought a class action lawsuit against the company. After that, the big push was ON for us all to take our "federally mandated" lunch break if you work at least an 8 hr day.

Since the bonus was brought to mind, it is obvious to most all of us that stop-completing pickup stops when you don't actually stop and/or call and fudging pick-up pieces is verifiable fraud and stealing as plain as day. When the company catches people manipulating their time cards with bogus "stops" and lying about picking up packages they most likely wil be terminated with very little recourse.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
That's why I'm glad we are a bonus center. Allows drivers to make their own decisions about what to do with break. Freedom. I like that.
We're a bonus center as well. Bonus pays straight time "if" you make those magical numbers. I'll take my regular pay and not screw my brother next door by denying stops that could be added to another route that could be put in.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have a couple of drivers in my center who would have a rude awakening if UPS decided to cross-check delivery records against the break and lunch times entered in the DIAD. The sad reality is that this will never happen as they make their numbers look good.

One of these drivers and I share two bulk pickups. He is supposed to make a sweep through and I close them out. He hasn't been to either in at least a month yet still closes them out in the board as though he has. It is no secret that he calls pickups and uses the sign system. He had one pickup, which just happens to be next door to one of the shared bulk pickups and is on one of our major roads, that got tired of his phone calls. I asked my DPS to put that pickup on my area. The ironic part is that this driver will sometimes take his meal break there (it is an electronics store with a kickass big screen TV and theater chairs) yet he can't be bothered to make a sweep through the bulk pickup next door. I have asked repeatedly if this is falsification and been told yes but there has been no followup as, again, he makes their numbers look good.

As it has been highlighted above in red, you claimed to have already done that.
At what point will you acknowledge that you are a driver and not management?
Mind your business and stop trying to be something that you will never be.

DS

Fenderbender
I love my lunch.We have to take 50 min unpaid and 10 paid every day and I make sure I use the time wisely.
Today I had a nice chicken roti with doubles and rice...10 min catnap...and saved 10 for a coffee at 6:30pm.
Sometimes I use it at the dentist,lawyer, doctor...all on area.
To be honest,I hate getting home at 9:30 at night,but with no kids,and good wife,I just suck it up.

S

speeddemon

If you put a code 6 in your board, your hour will come out. If you enter a code 5 in the board, it will only take out what lunch you have entered. In our center, it is understood that you are to take your lunch unless other wise approved for a code 5. I think that is good policy. Most of the time, my body needs the 1 hour break to rest. Then there are days when I need to get home for activities with the family.

S

speeddemon

I think it should be up to the driver how much is taken. Lets say, you can take up to an hour a day, but you don't have to. As long as service problems aren't created or their safety isn't compromised. But that will never happen, because you will always have those that will take 1 hour and only show 30 mins. Pathetic. I say, fire them, and let us be the professionals you hired us to be. We can get the job done efficiently and get home to our families sooner.