stock price??

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
moreluck said:
Those fuel increases apparently were not passed on to the customer in a 'timely' manner and they are playing catch-up now. According to Scott Davis , "We'll catch up eventually"

Playing catch up, that's just what the Share holders want to hear.

Who screwed up the fuel plan? What are we going to do to see that it does'nt happen again?:mad:

Why hasn't the leadership of this great Company come forward to say what they're going to do to create shareholder value in the future instead giving us excuses as to why they did not make their numbers with Wallstreet?

And will they ever learn how to talk with Wallstreet???:bored:

Does Jim Casey need to come back and crack a whip?:closedeye

disneyworld

imported_p1000 said:
Today in our building they had I. E., B. D., H. R. and what any other useless MGNT. to ride with drivers to try to get more bussiness. Then at the end of the day they OJS us. They wunder why our stock sucks. What a waste of money.
No,you're wrong.They were riding with you to learn your route.

psstdrvr

We've got IE all over preload now because of the big shakeup getting rid of all those sups. They are supposed to be here thru peak. Its hysterical watching the fiil in sups running around like chickens with they're heads cut off. Its a absolute joke what this company calls progress. Union rep says DM is the next to go. Anyone know the telephone # to report unethical behavour? Number used to be posted but was removed throughout building. So many problems in the ELI Melville facility; corporate needs to really be informed ........

oakland

Driver makes a delivery attempt, EDD says 2 pkgs, driver finds 2 pkgs on shelf
and one pkg says that it's 2 of 2, the other one says 1 of 1, because it's not part of that shipment, it's for another city. Customer is standing at rear of car looking in with a puzzled look, then says "where is my other package, how many does that thingy say I have today?", driver says," it should be here but I can't find it right now, it may be on another truck(in another city), you might get it later today or maybe tomorrow". Customer says, "but I really need this now I can't do anything with just one pkg, I need them both". Driver then gives customer the center phone number and the tracking number to see if they will have any luck. 4 hours later driver gets a message saying, "where can Steve Shuttle meet you in 10 min he has a package for you?", driver gives a place to meet where he is going to pickup from in 10 min. Driver gets to meet point and sees pkg sitting with other pkgs ready to go out. Pickup customer tells driver that one of the pkgs isn't theirs and that someone dropped it off. Customer says, "let me ask you something, how come another driver dropped a package off here instead of delivering it to the place it goes to 4 doors down?" Driver says, "because they are not suppose to because they can only use their board for communication and not sheeting packages so it doesn't show up on a report as another route being on road". Customer says, "thats stupid", driver says, "yep". Driver takes off with pkgs to finish pickups and arrives at original delivery location to do their pickup and deliver their second pkg, which is at closing time. Customer says,"oh you found my other package!". Driver says ,"nope it was on another truck today but it was brought out to me". Customer says," why didn't they just deliver it here instead, that's stupid". Driver says,"yep". They were the lucky ones, they got their pkg on the same day, alot of people don't. As a company that is admired by many for its' TIGHT SHIP, if they are seeing this episode play out worldwide, what kind of effect do you think it will eventually have on the stock price? When people see drivers fumbling around in their cars looking for invisible packages, or finding their shipments going for scenic tours of other towns, maybe they will take their business or their money someware else

mrbill

Same here on the right coast.
Thats why they changed the saying "tight ship" to "WHAT CAN BROWN DO FOR YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

ups79

For montecarlo: monte for the year you have to agree that UPS earns more money. UPS-3.971 billion, FEDEX-1.783 billion. Who really cares who earns more per share. My wallet would be more concerned with how much total it has in it.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Here's an interesting article regarding stock prices. It even talks about UPS stock and the recent price drop:

Avoid Being Mr. Market: Financial News - Yahoo! Finance

moreluck

golden ticket member
Traveler....I especially liked.....

Think back to the thwackings 3M and United Parcel Service took earlier this month. Are either of these businesses really worth 15% or 20% less than they were at the beginning of the month? Has the stream of future cash flows and dividends diminished that greatly? Are customers fleeing to competitors, or simply expiring from the planet? Are these companies' assets materially impaired? Hardly. The actual value of the business is at the whip's handle--moving to and fro ever so slightly. The market price is the end of the whip--and that whip has stung the short-term crowd badly.

Never forget that the market price of a stock at any given moment is where the weakest current owners and the most indifferent group of buyers meet. I'm not the least bit concerned that 3M has been marked down from $84 to $69 in the past month. Mr. Market can't have my shares for less than $110. The good long-term investors--I heard many of them speak at this year's Morningstar Investment Conference--don't sell at a 20% loss, but they do go back and aggressively review their investment case. If the fundamentals are unchanged, they hold or buy more. If the business is not as strong as they expected--that is, if they made a mistake analyzing the business in the first place--then, and only then, will they sell.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Traveler,

Great article!!

My last post was made out of frustration and disappointment this helps to bring things into perspective. We all know UPS is a bargain under $70.:lol:

psstdrvr

Oakland, I can't agree more, yet UPS keeps pushing the PAS system and dumping more $$$$$$$ into it to correct the problems. Only good thing is we're getting so much o/t now. Sups can't do anything about it because they're all out delivering the late airs and off rtes. I've been driving 25 yrs and have never been so disgusted with managements inept attitude. Thank goodness I stayed driving. Talk about a sinking ship!!!!!

There's another article from the WSJ. Don't be so sure about that bargain. Pay close attention to the word "pitch". Doesn't look good.

tonyexpress said:
Traveler,

Great article!!

My last post was made out of frustration and disappointment this helps to bring things into perspective. We all know UPS is a bargain under $70.:lol:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
funwithups said:
There's another article from the WSJ. Don't be so sure about that bargain. Pay close attention to the word "pitch". Doesn't look good:
funwithups,

The UPS Store drama has been going on for a while. I believe that story was on Browncafe back when it first came out. There are a small percentage of franchisees unhappy with the switch to & pitch from UPS.:wink:

Remember, UPS bought MBE for a good price and the article says they're making money and working on their relationships with the unhappy franchisees.

If this was really something that "Doesn't look good" don't you think that the stock price would have already reflected that?

Look at all the complaining and whining that goes on within the threads on this board and you'd think people were in a hostile work environment with no hope. Time to SELL Right?:lol: Give peace, I mean PAS a chance..

When UPS does not meet Wallstreet's expectations and reports future earnings will be lower that's when you can run into a problem.I still believe UPS will be fine in the long term, but you never know for sure.:cool:

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
There is always going to be UPS store drama------not all Franchises are going to approve with the vision that UPS has-------I remember when US Office (American Office?) owned MBE prior to UPS--not all of the Franchises agreed with the Corportate Vision of MBE-------and when the mother ship (US Office Supply) was about to file chapter 11.......which would have left MBE owners flat on their.......faces---UPS came along and bailed them out and is now going in a different direction.

UPS is trying to control any new ASO---there won't be any, unless it is a chain.....Postal Annex.....Box Store---but there will be no more mom and pops to compete with the UPS Stores.I would also hope that UPS is always looking for partnerships with AT&T--Computer Companies--whomever to make the UPSS the only drop off locations------also, and it has been awhile--I remember a special rate to the public for shipping from a UPSS to a UPSS which would be lower than the published rate-----the intent is to get more foot traffic into the UPSS locations........and while they are there----copies--Private PO Box---Shipping supplies----more $$$ for the francisee

So much for the ongoing UPSS Drama!!

I am more concerned that the pressure is on FedEx to have a better quarter than UPS------they are ass-backward in how they report their quarters so it is hard to compare our Qtr earnings with theirs-----but they projest a rosey outlook that the rest of the year is going to meet anaylists expectations---and believe me they will do everything in their power to pull it off. FedEx passes off higher fuel costs to customers--but they can't pass them all off---so I will wait and see what they report----and all things being equal, if they do have a great quarter and meet or exceed Wall Street expectations, than, and only than, will I second guess UPS Corporate's vision.

UPS is still showing record profits--and not be up to WS's expectations--but it sure meets mine--and makes me feel confident in where the company is going!!

No, I don't really think the stock price refelects the suits. UPS is supposed to explain to their shareholders anything that may negatively impact shere price. They have two out of the three suits going to trial in late December/Early November. These suits are in appeals, so they can go no further. The three suits combined are estimated ti be worth well over a half a billion dollars. This affects eanings if UPS loses or settles. UPS had an opportunity in DE to fess up to it's shareholders this summer, but chose to be shifty when asked about these suits twice. They aren't going anywhere, and if UPS were to lose, the stock price would fall. Shareholders would be seriously upset, and investigations into Sarbanes-Oxley violations may take place, further driving down stock price.

The point is, if Wall Street doesn't know about the suits, how can it be make corrections on stock price?
tonyexpress said:
funwithups,

The UPS Store drama has been going on for a while. I believe that story was on Browncafe back when it first came out. There are a small percentage of franchisees unhappy with the switch to & pitch from UPS.:wink:

Remember, UPS bought MBE for a good price and the article says they're making money and working on their relationships with the unhappy franchisees.

If this was really something that "Doesn't look good" don't you think that the stock price would have already reflected that?

Look at all the complaining and whining that goes on within the threads on this board and you'd think people were in a hostile work environment with no hope. Time to SELL Right?:lol: Give peace, I mean PAS a chance..

When UPS does not meet Wallstreet's expectations and reports future earnings will be lower that's when you can run into a problem.I still believe UPS will be fine in the long term, but you never know for sure.:cool:

tieguy

Banned
over9five said:
Obviously, this is the damn drivers fault.

While I thank you for throwing yourself on the grenade we can blame this one on the spin doctors. The genius who keeps setting stretch goals for us to miss and our CFO who keeps making a good quarter sound like armagaeddon.

tieguy

Banned
wkmac said:
Very True Moreluck but they missed expectations based on what they had told the Street. They also revised 3Q expectations and warned of evidence of slower economic growth. Many headlines stated UPS as bellweather to larger economy and some reports pointed to UPS as to reason for early troubles on the market yesterday.

The street may have paniced but it did so as a result that UPS didn't make it because they weren't fully prepared for various events during 2Q so the obvious question would be, "what lay ahead that they've overlooked, haven't anticipated or done their homework on?" It's obvious they didn't do it during 2Q just on the fuel issue alone if you read the press reports of Scott Davis' statements.

the problem with that logic is you usually have to announce a catostrophic event to see the stock drop 8 to 10 bucks in a day. Missing earnings should never cause that big a drop.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Fun,

Big Corporations like UPS are always getting sued. Believe me the analysts on Wallstreet know about the law suits, just like the law suits that are pending regarding the contract workers at FDX.. In fact FDX lawsuits have been in the media lately and FDX stock just keeps on truckin..:cool: If either company has to settle because they were wrong, then that is just part of the cost of doing business. Whether the bottom line will be affected remains to be seen...

UPSdawg,

Bet I can do more pushups than you...:tongue_sm

You may be right (except about the push-ups). But think about it: If it's just a cost of business as you say, why risk an SEC violation by not coming clean?

Something like, you're right, there are three major lawsuits by our retail arm totalling more than a half a billion dollars, but we feel that these lawsuits are baseless and we'll crush these ma & pa's like ants...? Tomorrow, we're gong to send a letter to the shareholders.

Being forthcoming could avoid some major trouble later on. Also, you say that large corporations are always getting sued, but it doesn't always happen that UPS gets sued by a group with a gold shield on their stores. This could play out as a David vs Goliath story. How could UPS win that public opinion war? It's only a few months until two out of three of the cases go to trial, why not hedge?:confused:1
tonyexpress said:
Fun,

Big Corporations like UPS are always getting sued. Believe me the analysts on Wallstreet know about the law suits, just like the law suits that are pending regarding the contract workers at FDX.. In fact FDX lawsuits have been in the media lately and FDX stock just keeps on truckin..:cool: If either company has to settle because they were wrong, then that is just part of the cost of doing business. Whether the bottom line will be affected remains to be seen...

UPSdawg,

Bet I can do more pushups than you...:tongue_sm

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just sent a letter to Scott Davis at corporate. Here's what the letter says....

Dear Mr. Davis,

Just a suggestion when reporting earnings in the future.........

Report JUST the earnings !!

No comments, no asides, no reasons why this or that.

If you are asked a question just say, "No Comment". Just report the numbers !!

Thankyou,

Feel free to copy and send a letter too. Here's the address:

UPS Corporate Headquarters
attn: Scott Davis
55 Glenlake Parkway N.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30328