STUCK

I committed the cardinal sin of backing after the stop in a turn out type driveway due to some jacktard parking right in front of me and ended up in a drainage ditch. I was about 5 seconds away from calling the Hub when 2 redneck hillbillies pulled up and offered to pull me out. They did and I offered to buy them each a 6 pack, but they declined and went on their way. Thank god for people like that.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had a driver actually stuff his 2-wheeler under his duals when he got stuck. In case you are interested an aluminum 2-wheeler is no match for a P 800.

wornoutupser

In my bldg ECD gets you a warning letter!
If I think there's even a remote possibility of me getting stuck I don't go down that road/driveway, that's what ecd is for. When I was on a more rural route there a few times where I brought well over half the route back.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In my bldg ECD gets you a warning letter!
If I think there's even a remote possibility of me getting stuck I don't go down that road/driveway, that's what ecd is for. When I was on a more rural route there a few times where I brought well over half the route back.

A warning letter is a piece of paper with ink on it in the shape of words.

A suspension or termination that used such a warning letter as part of the progressive discipline process that the company is required to follow per the contract would NOT be upheld at panel.

If they dont want you to record the stops as ECD, then record them as Missed instead. You get paid the same either way.

I deliver to a steep, hilly rural area with roads that gain 1200 feet of elevation in 3 miles. When it snows, only the main roads get plowed, and then only intermittently. I can and freqeuently do chain up, but even chains have their limits and if I feel it is unsafe I will NOT attempt the delivery. On a really bad day I might EC 10 stops, and no one says a word to me about it. If they ever did, I would simply ask them to demonstrate how the hell they expect me to get the vehicle up there. I am confident that they would decline to do so.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You see the videos on YOUTUBE. You know the ones. Somebody filming the UPS guy stuck in the snow in a driveway or street all the while making snarky comments about the idiot driver.

Well how do you handle it? You know UPS's policy. No help from unauthorized partys. Call a tow truck. Now they want the drivers to pay the tow bill. $500.

They say "put your chains on". They say "it's simple. Don't get stuck".

It is not that simple when dealing with 1 foot of new snow or blizzard conditions.
It is simple. It's called emergency conditions and you move on to a road where you don't get stuck.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I just kinda figure if I'm going to have a manager that's going to play the game of warning letters, I'll just shrug my shoulders, take a picture of the street and go about my day. It's going to be a condition of my employment apparently and I'll proceed to message each and every street I feel uncomfortable with and let them make a decision. My job is to be safe.

AKCoverMan

Fortunately here in The Last Frontier apparently our local and management have an understanding that the occasional towing call is a part of doing business here in the winter. Despite my best efforts to make good choices I have had to get towed out of snow four times over past six years and had assistance from customers getting unstuck a few times as well. As long as no damage, not an accident. And never been asked to pay for a tow, we always sign the invoice and the tow company bills UPS.

I think this is a good policy. One of the times I remember in particular I was trying to ease my way down a slick street during freezing rain conditions. I was running in and old P-500 no power anything one wheel drive wonder with chains on. I lost traction and begin sliding down the till toward a T intersection with no view of oncoming traffic. Rather than slide into the intersection and possibly hit cross traffic I used what little control I had to nurse the P-500 into the snow berm on the right hand side of the street and come to a stop. Called the center they called for a tow.

Tow truck got stuck as well trying to get to me, had to winch off of trees to get himself and then me back on the road again. Finally got down the hill and slowly back out to the main road; unchained and drove back to the center and sheeted remaining 30ish stops ECD. Once unstuck I had ODSd the center with my intention to do this..and there was no argument. Never heard another word about it. In that instance I think getting stuck was the best choice I could have made and it would be silly to charge me with an accident for avoiding a possible tier 3 accident with potential for serious injuries at the bottom of that hill.

Big Babooba

I was once told by a feeder driver that during a bad snowstorm, feeders are routinely towed into and out of the Waterbury, Connecticut hub. It is located at the bottom of a hill. They supposedly have tow trucks waiting for the feeders to arrive. Any truth to this?

bluehdmc

I was once told by a feeder driver that during a bad snowstorm, feeders are routinely towed into and out of the Waterbury, Connecticut hub. It is located at the bottom of a hill. They supposedly have tow trucks waiting for the feeders to arrive. Any truth to this?

I was told that myself. We used to have a run that went there, it was up for bid and I considered bidding on it but didn't because of the steep hill out of the building. Later I was talking to a feeder driver from there, that's basically what he told me. A guy with a three axle tow truck hooks up to a tractor-trailer and pulls it up the hill out of there. It's really crazy, you drive up one hill and can see the building through the trees, go to a light make a right, make another right, then down a steep cul-de-sac to the driveway downhill.