Supervisor walks on belt

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Times have changed ... I remember back in the early 70's riding the belts as a p/t hourly after a sort to look for stuck packages.

pemanager

Lock Out / Tag out is to isolate potential energy sources for servicing / maintenance of equipment. Conveyor securing is the program associated with walking on belts. Its goal is fall prevention, not preventing people from being caught in pinch points (that is what guarding is for.) The official conveyor securing program does allow for walking on slow moving (can't recall the exact speed off the top of my head) belts, like the metro gathering belts at boxlines, under 4' elevation from the floor.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Obviously it's an excuse but at least it's the truth. I took a SUP job in the morning (pre-load) for the money and soon I will be at engineering school. That was the plan all along I just wasn't making enough money. The belt is about a little less than waist high. It was a belt that you don't walk on no questions asked. I did it though. This belt is 17 bay doors long and I had sent my splitter home and the guy working that door because we were down in the back. Our hub (Spartanburg SC) is losing money from what I hear and they are pinching pennies everywhere. i.e. understaffed. But at the same time we work a little harder and we get it done. I like my job, my employees like me (believe it or not) I was an hourly for 3 years and was almost going to drive in the next year but I told them flat out I want to go to locomotive engineering school and that I have no want to be a driver. Despite the good money they make. I'm really not worried about money, i've just never been fired or suspended from a job and im not really upset about it. Im PISSED. Believe you me I wont do that again if they have me back. Thanks for the replies guys even though I have a feeling this is mostly drivers and hourlies. I still wake up in the middle of the night with a vision of my security lady standing over me hollaring at me in a wicked witch voice saying.........LOooooAD STRAPS!!!..........ARrrrrROWS!!!...................WALllllllLSssss!! if that makes you feel any better.

So, what your saying is, first chance you get to send everyone home and finish up the hourlies work yourself you take it? Not only did you break a safety rule you violated the contract? Sups working pays double time to the grievant you know. Not a smart way to try to save money!! My center manager bought my family a big steak dinner last week!! Tasty!! I love the free money checks, best kind!! Not so much for the center manager!!

22.34life

I don't recall during any training or Keter audit being told that it was OK to walk on certain belts but not OK to walk on others.

The fact that he was not injured, while fortunate, is irrelevant.

(Yes I have walked on a moving belt.)

people walk on metro unload belts all the time it is not against the rules,they are moving belts.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
How high off the floor was the belt? It is permissible to get on a moving belt if it is less than a few feet off the floor. If necessary you can walk on "gathering" belts for example.

If the belt was only a foot or so higher than that, you could argue that your offense wasn't all that bad, and the suspension was an overreaction, and possibly didn't follow the progressive discipline proceedures.

It's also worth noting in hindsight that you were not, in fact, injured.

You can walk on the belts that are by the cages when they are moving. They are very slow moving and near the floor. Thats the only exception I think.

its true, we are allowed to walk on the belts in front of the boxline while they are moving. These are the belts that take the pickups from the package cars back into the primary. Happens all the time during peak when the night sort is running and we start early. Most preloaders turn it off anyway as it goes the opposite direction of the boxline on one side and makes it difficult to load. I'm not sure the rationale behind it, all I know is that it is allowed.

people walk on metro unload belts all the time it is not against the rules,they are moving belts.

And yes, you can walk on them while they are moving.

JonFrum

I don't recall during any training or Keter audit being told that it was OK to walk on certain belts but not OK to walk on others.

The fact that he was not injured, while fortunate, is irrelevant.

(Yes I have walked on a moving belt.)

What have you been smoking?
You guys don't believe me?????

I'm crushed. Crushed, I tell you!!!

Would you believe me if I said I "walk on water?"

I'm a carwasher. The floor is wet.

Sometimes I combine walking on water and walking on a moving belt, like when the belt is wet, and my shoes are too.

bluehdmc

I really don't understand being able to walk on any belt! Even "slow-moving" ones.

Let your shoelace get caught in the "seam" where they use staples to knit the belt together and pull you down to the end of the belt!

You might get away with walking on the belt 100 times, but that 101st time something happens that can cripple you for life.

I hope you get your job back though.

Last edited: