supervisor working and sends me home...

Now that it peak has wrapped up and the focus of management has returned to production numbers. my full time super has been doing nothing but trying to cut hours. Today at the end of the day there were pakages all over the box line that needed to be loaded onto trucks and my immediate supe told me I had to go home I preceeded to ask him who is going to finish up? And he responded "I'll have a driver load it" which I knew was bs. So I punched out and then went back and walked the box line and who is in a truck loaing freight? You got it the supervisor. Now I am going to file a grivence in the am my question is when they are trying to send people home how exactly does that processe work?

Lol @ dave. The way im guessing it ia suposed to work is top guys get the option to to home then if they still need People to leave it goes from the bottom of the list?

PT Car Washer

Present and available. If the OP stopped to wash his hands and on the way out and saw the Sup doing his job he has a good case. PT sups have a 5.5 hour guarantee and hourlies have a 3.5 hour guaranty. What do you thing they do for 2 hours.

RolloTony Brown Town

I say file. If not for the money, for the principle. Be careful though. When you file, management tends to target those employees to discourage that behavior. Now, management isn't supposed to that, but its also difficult to disprove. Good luck!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I say file. If not for the money, for the principle. Be careful though. When you file, management tends to target those employees to discourage that behavior. Now, management isn't supposed to that, but its also difficult to disprove. Good luck!

What the hell are you talking about ... we were taught to target filers in UPS Management school.
That's crazy talk there!

Rainman

Its all good.
Now that it peak has wrapped up and the focus of management has returned to production numbers. my full time super has been doing nothing but trying to cut hours. Today at the end of the day there were pakages all over the box line that needed to be loaded onto trucks and my immediate supe told me I had to go home I preceeded to ask him who is going to finish up? And he responded "I'll have a driver load it" which I knew was bs. So I punched out and then went back and walked the box line and who is in a truck loaing freight? You got it the supervisor. Now I am going to file a grivence in the am my question is when they are trying to send people home how exactly does that processe work?
Always file if you think you're getting shafted. The worst thing they can do is tell you that you are wrong. If you file, they may target you, but if you don't then they will continue to take your money and opportunities. And laugh about it behind your back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Come on dave. A lot of time I think you may get a lot of flack. But this post just shows you deserve it all and more. Wow.

I'm not sure what the term management uses is----I hope Dragon reads this and helps me out----but I do know that once you punch out you are supposed to leave the building and not return to your work area.

I'm not sure what the term management uses is----I hope Dragon reads this and helps me out----but I do know that once you punch out you are supposed to leave the building and not return to your work area.

Stand around for 2 hours observing the sup working? No.
But you don't have to run to the exit like its a fire drill either.

The OP has two choices.
File if you believe your wronged, regardless of what they may do.
Fear what they MIGHT do, don't file, and let them continue to wrong you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree 100% that the sups should not be working.

I would also bet that 100% of the sups who are working would rather not be but are working as directed.

I just wanted the OP to be careful.

upsgrunt

Does this include looking through send agains, and clerk packages?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Dave is actually right here. If a rank-and-file member is staying after work, off the clock, to observe supervisors working and they refuse to leave, they can be disciplined. However, trying to chase off a steward who is off the clock and investigating a grievance could lead to labor charges.

That being said.. if you're told to punch out and think a supervisor is finishing up, maybe you go take a dump and wash up every day after your sort after punching out. Maybe you're also a forgetful guy and always leave your work gloves, time card, lunch bag, water bottle, etc. by the time clock and have to rush back 15 minutes after you've punched out to grab it. We have a fast-paced job where it's easy to forget things sometimes.. and if you see a supervisor doing work you're qualified to perform, you're just being a good employee by offering to stick around and do it.

In order to get paid, you need to have pretty accurate times of when a supervisor starts/stop working and you'll also need witnesses. For example: "I saw Dip:censored2: McJackass (preload FT supervisor) begin loading package cars on 1/23/14 at 5:15 AM and he finished at 7:00 AM. Joe Union and John Union witnessed this." In order to make a point, I would always ask the supervisor performing bargaining unit work if they wanted me to do that instead. If they refuse, put in the grievance: "Grievant was available and qualified to perform such work but was directed to go home instead." Nail them every time for it -- even if you don't get paid (much), you'll make your point.