Suspension & Termination Fund

Inthegame

The point of paying dues to a labor union was to protect you from unwarranted discipline. Now the union has accepted the fact that they cannot protect you from unwarranted discipline and want you to pay more money.
Then don't join. You get the protection pal, but UPS gets to play the game to. And they screw over people all the time and drag out the proceedings.
This resistance proves the adage "No good deed goes unpunished".

brett636

My building has a similar fund that is managed by some of the drivers where if you are fired and made to sit out for awhile they provide a small supplemental income for something like 6 weeks. I'm not apart of it considering I've never been fired(I know it could happen), and that I maintain enough in savings to get me through a few months if necessary. I can't say this sounds like a good deal considering one payment of $400 isn't going to change your life significantly, and if you think it does you have bigger financial problems than worried about getting fired. With that said I have known a few drivers who were off for a matter of weeks at the most and were nearly driven to bankruptcy because they had no savings. I would encourage everyone from part-time to full-time to not be that person, and be prepared for a loss of income for a short time frame.

upschuck

My building has a similar fund that is managed by some of the drivers where if you are fired and made to sit out for awhile they provide a small supplemental income for something like 6 weeks. I'm not apart of it considering I've never been fired(I know it could happen), and that I maintain enough in savings to get me through a few months if necessary. I can't say this sounds like a good deal considering one payment of $400 isn't going to change your life significantly, and if you think it does you have bigger financial problems than worried about getting fired. With that said I have known a few drivers who were off for a matter of weeks at the most and were nearly driven to bankruptcy because they had no savings. I would encourage everyone from part-time to full-time to not be that person, and be prepared for a loss of income for a short time frame.
$400/week

upschuck

If you don't think this is a good deal, then don't do it. Nobody is forced to take it. I like the out of the box thinking of new ideas.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
While your skepticism is understandable, this wasn't dreamed up on the back of a bar napkin, it's a local with leadership thinking outside the box to address the unfortunate position in which too many members find themselves. The initiation fee is $25. The number of participants must be 100 to receive the max amount or the benefit is reduced proportionate to participants. There's a 30 day waiting period to build assets. Participants get a max refund of $1800 (minus usage) at retirement. Again it's strictly voluntary with no dues money outlaid.

Sounds great ask them to forward the plan to my Local and maybe this will catch on.

wage EARNER

My point is, the teamsters should be doing more to stop management from unwarranted discipline and dragging out the grievance process. After a few unwarranted disciplines, the local should take strike action against UPS. THAT IS THE POWER AND PURPOSE OF A LABOR UNION! A one day strike, a three day strike, a five day strike. When district and regional managers realize they are losing money because of some d-bag manager, the problem will be corrected.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
My point is, the teamsters should be doing more to stop management from unwarranted discipline and dragging out the grievance process. After a few unwarranted disciplines, the local should take strike action against UPS. THAT IS THE POWER AND PURPOSE OF A LABOR UNION! A one day strike, a three day strike, a five day strike. When district and regional managers realize they are losing money because of some d-bag manager, the problem will be corrected.

Bonus points on spirit but you get negative marks on contract and labor law knowledge.

Every local in the country, barring locals 705 and 710, is bound by a no-strike clause both in the NMA and their supplements. Ordinarily, we can only strike outside of a contract expiring if the company refuses to pay pension/health & welfare contributions as per the contract, pay wages as per the contract (ie. withholding a raise), or if the company refuses to comply with a majority decision of the National Grievance Committee (which will never happen, the company would simply deadlock if it felt they would not/could not/preferred not to comply with a ruling and then it would go to arbitration to be dragged out).

This is a direct result of the National Labor Relations Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLRA) that came into being under the Roosevelt administration. While the NLRA created the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) to formalize union organizing, it also set the precedent of restricting job actions and pushed contract negotiations to include no strike clauses. The Taft Hartley Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taft_Hartley), which was passed in the late 1940's, further restricted the right of a union to strike (ie. made secondary boycotts illegal) and also allowed the President of the US to order strikers back to work. Taft Hartley also allows employers to sue a union for damages imposed by an "illegal" strike -- ie. if your local went on strike over a deadlocked grievance/termination, UPS could take them to court for the alleged cost of the resulting service failures. That could potentially bankrupt a smaller local.

All of that being said, an illegal strike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat_strike_action) is only illegal if you lose. Ron Carey proved that point in ~1996 in the one day strike over UPS arbitrarily changing the weight limits on packages to 150 lbs. However, per the contract and current US labor law, shop stewards can be specifically singled out for greater discipline than their fellow union members for initiating/leading any sort of unauthorized work action. Also, you have to ask yourself this: would a majority of the drivers in your center walk out over one of their brothers being terminated (never mind the reason) if it wasn't guaranteed they would be able to ever return to their jobs?

wage EARNER

PiedmontSteward, your points are valid. I was aware of the NMA forbidding such strike but not aware such language goes back to the 30s. I was speaking in general terms of labor unions. Most labor unions came about, not just because of wages but the poor working conditions and the harassment by management. Labor unions have given a pass to management to abuse their employees, thus forfeiting the power and purpose of a labor union. I've sat in on many grievance hearings as a steward and used the 'open door'(closed mind) policy as well as called the hotline. It is all a cat and mouse game played by both management and the union.

Offering a suspension and termination fund would most likely encourage a manager to take out an employee even quicker and keep them out even longer. It's a concession.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

hmmm....we would be losing money but management would still get a paycheck, while you would not. Did you think your response all the way through?

scisector9

Pardon my ignorance but can you not file for unemployment while fighting to get your job back or is that state and situation dependant?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Spicybrother

Is it through LECMPA? Their coverage options are far superior to what you mentioned.
I use LECMPA for my "fired insurance." I pay 62.50 a month and get coverage the next day that I am taken out of service or fired. It pays 150.00 per day, seven days a week or 1050.00 a week. They pay for up to 8 months, or to you reach a conclusion at the "dead lock" panel if it goes that far. Also, 50k of life insurance is included with the policy. When you retire, they give you some "pocket change," something like $500 or something.