Switching to Fedex from Ups

Emberheart

Hello, I work the preload at Ups loading 4 package cars around 1000-1200 items. I was wondering if working at Fedex ground unloading or loading trailers is easier? I am a student not looking for a career...Ups pays me 11, Fedex starts at 13.30 but fedex doesnt seem to have tution assistance until I have been there 60 days. THANK YOU

It will be fine

Hello, I work the preload at Ups loading 4 package cars around 1000-1200 items. I was wondering if working at Fedex ground unloading or loading trailers is easier? I am a student not looking for a career...Ups pays me 11, Fedex starts at 13.30 but fedex doesnt seem to have tution assistance until I have been there 60 days. THANK YOU
The job is probably exactly the same. Is fedex pays more work there. I'm not sure when union dues/benefits kick in at ups but if your plan is short term there's no reason to pay those. You don't need any protections the union offers if you're a hard worker as a package handler at fedex.

dmac1

Ground is easier than UPS used to be. I worked one day as a temp loading/unloading during Christmas rush 20+ years ago, and they had overseers there with whips if you stopped to wipe the sweat off your brow.

MassWineGuy

The job is probably exactly the same. Is fedex pays more work there. I'm not sure when union dues/benefits kick in at ups but if your plan is short term there's no reason to pay those. You don't need any protections the union offers if you're a hard worker as a package handler at fedex.

I don't think he has a choice. The dues come out of the paycheck. Sticky, grabby, greedy hands of the Teamsters.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Fedex HD is easier than a Ground hub... you dont load the truck, just pile it on plastic pallets.

The drivers get to preload~ sort their own parcels into their own boxtrucks, stepvans, cargovans, rickshaw, etc

Emberheart

Fedex HD is easier than a Ground hub... you dont load the truck, just pile it on plastic pallets.

The drivers get to preload~ sort their own parcels into their own boxtrucks, stepvans, cargovans, rickshaw, etc
The hub near me has a Preload and Sunrise shift is one for loading trucks and one unloading trailers?

MAKAVELI

I don't think he has a choice. The dues come out of the paycheck. Sticky, grabby, greedy hands of the Teamsters.
It has nothing to do with having a choice or greedy teamsters. If one does not want to be in a union and pay dues then simply don't work for a company that is union.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not an option unless he is in a RTW state.

BTW, I do agree that there should be some way for college kids who are only working here while in school and have no plan to stay beyond graduation to receive a higher wage in lieu of receiving benefits and to receive a dues waiver.

dmac1

Not an option unless he is in a RTW state.

BTW, I do agree that there should be some way for college kids who are only working here while in school and have no plan to stay beyond graduation to receive a higher wage in lieu of receiving benefits and to receive a dues waiver.

And if he takes the waiver, he gets paid the same as a non-union worker at fedex.

bacha29

It has nothing to do with having a choice or greedy teamsters. If one does not want to be in a union and pay dues then simply don't work for a company that is union.
An excellent point. Countless time I have encountered people who while working in a union shop have expressed their contempt for the union concept but are the first people standing in line with their hands out wanting all of the pay and benefits the union was able to get for them.

MassWineGuy

I think unions are great in principal. I'd join one if I could. Anyone who appreciates the 40-hour work week owes that to unions.

But... if you have dues and initiation fees taken from your check but get no benefits or protection from the contract, then the IBT is definitely performing legalized theft. Some seasonal jobs, where the person has little chance of getting hired permanently, pay terribly to start with.

These folks should not be forced to pay a $500 initiation fee and dues. At least that's what they lifted from me in the Boston area.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Except that may I have a problem with that particular union and want a different union to represent me in the workplace. Unions set the rules that there will be one, and only one, union representing a class of employees in a workplace. Therefore you're stuck with bad representation or no job.

If they were genuinely concerned about the worker to the extent that they say they are, they'd drop the exclusivity.