Teamsters Applaud Treasury Decision to Deny CSPF Cuts, Protect Retiree Pensions

An
Until 2014 the cuts that were being proposed weren't legal unless you are saying they should have cut future accrued benefits even further. Although its all water under the bridge at this point.
Anything would have helped a little . It's like saying my mortgage is a $1000 a month and I only have $500 to pay on it. .. so crew it,i won't pay anything.

They are honestly past the point of no return .

If they would have done something a few years ago,even a few small cuts, Lessing the future liabilities,then asking the government for a low interest loan so they could invest some of the money in the market.

It's a crying shame.
They couldn't legally do it until the omnibus passed in the wee hours of the night on December 30th 2014. They maybe could have cut the pensions of the members buy how would you get them to vote to decrease their own pension fund? I think if Jesus came down and told the members to cut their own pensions they wouldn't do it.

They couldn't legally do it until the omnibus passed in the wee hours of the night on December 30th 2014. They maybe could have cut the pensions of the members buy how would you get them to vote to decrease their own pension fund? I think if Jesus came down and told the members to cut their own pensions they wouldn't do it.
I understand . Si now they are just going to ignore it and having nothing for the future?

I guess the good old days of worrying about the future generations are gone ?
Yes I think they are. There are no easy ways out of this and legally the fund wansnt allowed to be cut till 12/30/14 and we saw how that worked out. I guess this leaves the active participants and I'm doubting you can't get a majority of them to agree to reduce it now that it's legal as of 12/30/14. Just imagine being the guy proposing to reduce the memberships pension. I can tell you this I'd be physically scared to propose to reduce a mans money. Men get real touchy about their money.

If there was a time machine maybe someone could go back and ask Ron Carey to not increase the pension across the board equally because now we know it wasn't equally. The guy was a good union man but he based his reelection on increasing a monthly pension for everyone across the board and now we know how that works out.

Yes I think they are. There are no easy ways out of this and legally the fund wansnt allowed to be cut till 12/30/14 and we saw how that worked out. I guess this leaves the active participants and I'm doubting you can't get a majority of them to agree to reduce it now that it's legal as of 12/30/14. Just imagine being the guy proposing to reduce the memberships pension. I can tell you this I'd be physically scared to propose to reduce a mans money. Men get real touchy about their money.
No choices here.

No choices here.
Jack up that 401k and work a little longer. Instead of leaving a bunch of cash to your loved ones someday make sure you survive. This has always been the Republicans wish for the union man. They cut our jugular any chance they gets and bleed us out slow. Then they convince guys like @brett636 that they are a republican that like unions.

It's a vicious circle.

Jack up that 401k and work a little longer. Instead of leaving a bunch of cash to your loved ones someday make sure you survive. This has always been the Republicans wish for the union man. They cut our jugular any chance they gets and bleed us out slow. Then they convince guys like @brett636 that they are a republican that like unions.

It's a vicious circle.
Its too late for the. retirees. . I was planning on putting my future raises in the 401k but I won't be getting muck of a raise. I get 18¢ in August

brett636

I just got a letter in the mail listing the funding percentage of my pension at 84.81%. That is local 710, and over the last 3 years the pension funding level has steadily increased. While I am thankful for this I still like to base my retirement plans based on no pension at all. If it is still there when I hang it up in 25 years I can treat it as a bonus and invest it, use it to fund my travels, etc. I just don't want to have to rely on it to live incase something like this occurs.

10 point

If there was a time machine maybe someone could go back and ask Ron Carey to not increase the pension across the board equally because now we know it wasn't equally. The guy was a good union man but he based his reelection on increasing a monthly pension for everyone across the board and now we know how that works out.
We have members with the same attitude right now. The ones that will let the plan go belly up and ride the wave until then and the same type of disloyal ones sitting on a strike line that would've slit the union's throat by crossing the line to get another $1000/month if RC had not matched the offer in 97.

Quit blaming the GP back then and put the blame where it goes....on weak union "meesters" who care nothing about the longevity of the fund (knowing it was already in trouble in 97 prior to the strike) but saw the pot of gold increase and would've bailed ship if RC didn't raise it to match the company's offer.

Also, is there no blame put on the company who purposefully backed RC into the corner knowing full well the ship would sink? Really?

Check and checkmate.

The outcry that would've been raised in 97 for not matching the increase would've been parallel to the one that's happening now as the train is rounding the bend. The same company that this sitting GP let off the hook in 2008 who was responsible for the perfect storm that's been brewing for the last 19 years is innocent in all of this???
Give us a break.