Teamsters.... Drag on some hubs?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition. From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about. Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid. Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease. Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....

Don't worry about the grievance, keep doing what your doing.

I laugh at them when they give me those type of grievance's, they get thrown out with the rest of them at the end of the month.

Welcome to dealing with the protected employees, let it go when you leave the building.

You will be surprised how much you will be respected for standing up to them.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Preventing an injury means you are working safe, using load stands, using the 8 keys, etc. This in no way means you have to move at a PPH of 400. That is ridiculously slow. Really, there is no excuse unless they have an injury, that speed of just ridiculous.

You will always have a couple like that. Deal with it.

Most of the employees when told to pick up the pace, give me a thumbs up and a smile. Fairness.

Sounds like you're doing your job then. Quit complaining.

I'm not gonna sit on my ass and watch them move at absurd speeds.

You're a PT sup. Nothing you can do about it.

Also, rarely am I treated with respect by these older union guys.

They never will. Corporate treats us better than their PT sups. You are the bottom of the barrel. Deal with it.

I rarely have the time to read the contract.

You better start reading it, or just go whining to your boss everyday about how slow a few employees are moving.

Dr.Brownz

I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition. From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about. Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid. Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease. Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....

Real talk: youve been brainwashed by ups to think that way; you will stop pushing people to work harder when one gets injured and your center manager or dm comes down on you wanting to know why there are so many injuries in your sup group; they are going to work slower if you harrass them too so id trt a different strategy

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr.Brownz

Don't worry about the grievance, keep doing what your doing.

I laugh at them when they give me those type of grievance's, they get thrown out with the rest of them at the end of the month.

Welcome to dealing with the protected employees, let it go when you leave the building.

You will be surprised how much you will be respected for standing up to them.

Yeah a certain sup and later center manager from my region was fired because of a history of 5 years of harrassment grievances; those are all cataloged somewhere, even if they were thrown out at panel

rod

Retired 22 years
Chill out dude. You're going to have ulcers before you grow chest hair. It's only a job. The company still makes tons of money even with a few slackers. I guarantee you one day you will become a slacker too.

tourists24

UPS's numbers don't constitute a fair days work for fair days pay. Learn who your guys are and truly try and figure what that is. OR, just continue to use the metric fed numbers and start disciplining them.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I have been at UPS for just under an year. I have worked my behind off and love the workout of the job. Recently, I went into the supervisor position on my unload belt due to the job being a resume builder, better pay for a short while, and to help me pay for a new vehicle, and to pay my tuition. From the beginning I figured there would be a few lazy people..... I didn't expect half the belt to be lazy..... And I surely didn't expect almost every one of them to be long time union members. As soon as I started running my belt (I knew everyone on the belt and was well liked) I noticed a few guys whose PPH was around 400-550..... Wow... A tomato can unload faster. As soon as I got on their case all I got was a blank stare and a shrug. After break some union rep comes up and tells me to stop antagonizing the employees, what a shocker. He started coming up with half assed justifications as to why they were going slow, a 62 year old man on my belt unloads at around 800-1000 PPH. There is no excuse unless they have a serious injury..... Of which none do that I know about. Now, I know I may seem like an ass. But I have a job to do just as they do, but why is it that I can't tell someone to try harder when they haven't even broken a sweat without some :censored2: union rep threatening me with a grievance? Why is it that the Union defends these people? One guy hit an employee on another belt and after a while the Union got him his job back after he cried about having three kids..... Probably should've thought about that before he hit a 17 year old kid. Why on earth does the Union support lazy slobs and fighters? At the moment, the Union members on my belt make my job incredibly difficult as they tell the newer guys to slow down and not worry about me getting on their case which spreads around like a disease. Perhaps the Union should consider allowing members who will actually do the work within a reasonable speed given their physical condition. I say this as there is a body builder on the sort isle that sorts at around 170 PPH.....[/QUOTE

Your first mistake was going into supervision. Second is thinking we care about your numbers. You have to realize we have no pph requirement. Not to mention you haven't been there long enough to earn you stripes with the old timers either. Are contract says an honest days work for an honest days pay.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Nope, I was never a union member and as I am rather new to the job, have only completed a portion of my training. Also, as I am a full time student, I rarely have the time to read the contract. Justify it though, why is it acceptable for Steve and Bob (figurative people) to get on their phones or move out of their trailers to talk to other employees? Then a steward comes rushing to defend them when I get on their case and tell them to get back to work, all while being respectful.
Wow I can't believe it......a new supervisor who has done the job for a short time who thinks he knows everything and doesn't read the contract his bosses negotiated.......where do they find these guys

10 point

Seriously? You think a PPH of 400 is acceptable? Hell no, I've spent seven years of my life in a construction company and never once did I think it was acceptable to slow down just because I had seniority. Also..... It's my job to make the belt productive.... I'm not gonna sit on my ass and watch them move at absurd speeds.
Save the world ex-brother.

10 point

Wow I can't believe it......a new supervisor who has done the job for a short time who thinks he knows everything and doesn't read the contract his bosses negotiated.......where do they find these guys
The pt management doesn't want to do hourly work until they become management.
Then their false sence of superiority creates the friction they never saw coming.

Box Ox

Maybe the real problem is that hard work at UPS only gets you more work. And the job is already hard enough. Play management's numbers game and you'll be ridden hard until your body is broken. You're only a piece of meat on the belt and a number in the system. And you'll simply be replaced by a less expensive meat number if you leave.

Management pointing fingers at union members over their stupid numbers is a self-created problem.

clean hairy

Nope, I was never a union member and as I am rather new to the job, have only completed a portion of my training. Also, as I am a full time student, I rarely have the time to read the contract. Justify it though, why is it acceptable for Steve and Bob (figurative people) to get on their phones or move out of their trailers to talk to other employees? Then a steward comes rushing to defend them when I get on their case and tell them to get back to work, all while being respectful.
Did anyone else pick up on this?
States they were an hourly for around a year and never joined the union.
So, this person who had no interest in the Union, now wants Union Employees to give him help with doing his job?
Why is he here asking, when he should be asking his bosses how to do his job?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't justify my wisdom. I was on the other side of the fence as well and like anyone else had off days.... Not months. It is also my job to tell them to pick up the pace. I am never rude to the employees and treat them fairly. If I do yell, it because I don't have the time to hop I to their trailer. I am in no way antagonizing employees of I tell them to hurry. Most of the employees when told to pick up the pace, give me a thumbs up and a smile. Fairness.
It isn't your job to tell other people to pick up the pace. And if you do this, you will likely see the opposite reaction, since you have no say in the matter and everyone knows it.

It is HR's responsibility to recruit people to perform the job, and FT management's job to weed out the ones who "don't cut it" within the trial period. You don't have any authority.