Telematics

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
We have it as well, and I also buckle up before starting. I've found it shaves a considerable amount of "idle time" off. Which at one time was flavor of the month for us. I think a lot of folks are apprehensive about tattlematics, but its not all that bad. As long you doing what you were supposed to be doing all along, you really have nothing to worry about. Honestly, the worst part about it is the piles of papers they want you to sign everyday.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
They are beginning to install it here.

What gets me is the camera. We are such losers (they practice such poor judgement in hiring/training/keeping us) that a camera in the cab is gonna record me rather than the goobers on the road???!!!!!!!! What am I supposed to be doing wrong? Air surfing?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They are beginning to install it here.

What gets me is the camera. We are such losers (they practice such poor judgement in hiring/training/keeping us) that a camera in the cab is gonna record me rather than the goobers on the road???!!!!!!!! What am I supposed to be doing wrong? Air surfing?

Camera in the cab???

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Camera in the cab???

I don't believe that they are doing that across the board, but a driver in my center has a new 1300 with all the bells and whistles and it has a new rearview camera display, and next to it is a small camera. He said once he noticed it he put tape over it and if MGMT complains then he will know that they are, in fact watching it.

Any of the routes that I run where the trucks are equipped with telematics don't have cameras, unless they are hidden.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Camera in the cab???

I've heard one driver say he has one already. I've heard rumor that they will eventually become standard equipment, as well as assertions that it will likely not happen.

I'm sorry, but if it does happen it will be high time for the customer to know what the man thinks of us, how untrustworthy we really are.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I've heard one driver say he has one already. I've heard rumor that they will eventually become standard equipment, as well as assertions that it will likely not happen.

I'm sorry, but if it does happen it will be high time for the customer to know what the man thinks of us, how untrustworthy we really are.

I don't think they will sit and watch you but if you have an accident they can look back and see what you were up to at the time of impact.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Sleeve,

You are sort of right and mostly wrong. The 3/40 methods used for decades trained us to do exactly what you stated, however, with telematics this is no longer the proceedure.

NOW, with telematics, you must place the diad into the holder upon entering the truck, sit, latch the belt, place foot on brake THEN start the car. You can not have the car running AT ALL while belting or looking at the diad. You cannot have the diad in your hands while the ignition is in the ON position whether or not the engine is running. NO longer can you have one hand on the belt and one hand on the key.

When doing pickups, you must stop the car, turn the car off completely, pull the brake, lock in gear and then take the diad out of the holder and close out the stop even if the business owner is standing there waving you off because he doesnt have anything to pick up. NO longer can you close ANY stops while the car is in motion or the key in the ON position.

This will slow you down as you do this proceedure. There is a warning letter waiting for you if you record while IDLING or MOVING.

The company is even asking us (while on an obsevation ride) to shut the car off at intersections during red lights. No joke. One of the dumbest things ever.

There are ERR's involved with the system relating to selt belt violations, recording while idling and starting the car. There is a 6 second information delay from the moment you turn the key until it the information hits the ECU monitoring the truck. UPS has changed the device that records twice now, and this one appears to be working a little bit better.

The information is so sensitive, on cold days, if you simply have the ignition key to ON just to get the heater going, you will be spoken to for idling even if the engine is off! Same with the fan on hot days.

Either way, its by the book no matter how much longer it takes. This is the first thing UPS finds out when they go live with telematics and everyone gets on the program. Days get extended and hours increase. By the book is by the book, and UPS found a way to extend our days without us having to contribute anything in the process other than doing what we are told.

Peace.

I am a chronic offender when it comes to recording while idling or moving. I show up on the report almost daily. I could care less. Every once in a while that report becomes the "flavor of the week" again and a sup will come and nag me about it. Then the week will be over and there will be a different flavor for me to not give a damn about. I have never been issued a warning letter because the report by itself cannot be used for discipline. Which is good, since we have drivers who showed up on the report for supposedly driving 2 miles in reverse at 45 MPH, or for recording while driving at 80MPH....neither of which is physically possible in a package car.

I also used to get nagged at about excessive idle time in the AM. I told them that my idle time would be a lot less if they would either (a) park my route inside the building or (b) buy me an ice scraper and a squeegee with an extension handle so that I could get the ice and condensation off of my windshield in the winter or (c) use the forklift to drag my car over to the south side of the building so that I could sit there and make $45 an hour on OT waiting for the sun to melt the ice. None of these things ever happened, so I just idle and run the defroster until the windshield is clear and deal with their whining.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
I don't think they will sit and watch you but if you have an accident they can look back and see what you were up to at the time of impact.

That oughta work out real well for them, especially if the driver is picking his nose or otherwise slightly distracted during an accident that isn't his fault. The other person's attorney should love that.