The compassion of others..do they know she makes 100k???????

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Unions protect bad workers and encourage a bad work ethic. Union workers are rewarded for seniority not merit. It’s a bad system to work in if you are the type of person that likes to compete based on skill.
But it's still unfair to generalize union workers as awful.

I do agree that unions protect bad workers but I disagree that it encourages bad work ethic. I regard myself as a person with strong work ethic. Working at UPS or in a non union shop ain't gonna change that. And we're not trying to compete, we're trying to earn money and go home. I actually prefer the seniority system, rather than having some possibly biased guy arbitrarily decide who gets the better job.

It will be fine

But it's still unfair to generalize union workers as awful.

I do agree that unions protect bad workers but I disagree that it encourages bad work ethic. I regard myself as a person with strong work ethic. Working at UPS or in a non union shop ain't gonna change that. And we're not trying to compete, we're trying to earn money and go home. I actually prefer the seniority system, rather than having some possibly biased guy arbitrarily decide who gets the better job.
Exactly, you don’t see work as a competition and enjoy a system based on how long people show up to work. I find a system like that a disaster and would despise working in it. Workers that like unions are not workers I would want to work alongside.

MAKAVELI

Exactly, you don’t see work as a competition and enjoy a system based on how long people show up to work. I find a system like that a disaster and would despise working in it. Workers that like unions are not workers I would want to work alongside.
UPS has been around for 100 + years. Yep a disaster. Lol

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Why should work be a competition? If everyone who passed the 30 day probation demonstrates they can do the job then what's the need for any further competition?

So what's the story, on one hand we got people saying FedEx ground drivers wouldn't put up with the 'strenuous' demands that UPS management places on it's drivers. Then on the other hand we have you saying that the drivers (union workers) are terrible, slow, and unmotivated. Well which is it?

35years

Gravy route
The first national teamster contract was in 1979. A disastrous system can survive for a while that doesn’t mean it’s optimal.
Um...
You do realize UPS wasn't always nationwide (1975), therefore a national contract would have been impossible prior to UPS being nationwide.

Jim Casey brought the Teamsters into the company in 1916...104 years is "a while"?

Nice try though.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Um...
You do realize UPS wasn't always nationwide (1975), therefore a national contract would have been impossible prior to UPS being nationwide.

Jim Casey brought the Teamsters into the company in 1916...104 years is "a while"?

Nice try though.
As usual, Itsy’s brain fog prevents her from being factual.

It will be fine

Um...

Nice try though.
They organized city by city and region. Casey didn’t wave a wand in 1916 and unionize the entire workforce. You can pretend the company always had all its workers represented by a union but you would be wrong. It doesn’t change the fact that unions protect bad workers.

It will be fine

Why should work be a competition? If everyone who passed the 30 day probation demonstrates they can do the job then what's the need for any further competition?

So what's the story, on one hand we got people saying FedEx ground drivers wouldn't put up with the 'strenuous' demands that UPS management places on it's drivers. Then on the other hand we have you saying that the drivers (union workers) are terrible, slow, and unmotivated. Well which is it?
You got it. UPS drivers have to accept mediocrity in their position. To do well financially you have to just show up for an entry level job for a long time. Drive to further your station and position is not allowed. You must submit to the will of the union. Many drivers at Ground wouldn’t like that type of work environment. To do well and advance and make more money you have to be more productive at Ground. There’s no reward for being more productive at UPS, that’s the biggest flaw in a union workforce.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You got it. UPS drivers have to accept mediocrity in their position. To do well financially you have to just show up for an entry level job for a long time. Drive to further your station and position is not allowed. You must submit to the will of the union. Many drivers at Ground wouldn’t like that type of work environment. To do well and advance and make more money you have to be more productive at Ground. There’s no reward for being more productive at UPS, that’s the biggest flaw in a union workforce.
But the fly in your ointment is that being productive at Ground doesn’t bear the same fruit that collective bargaining does. Therefore, from the employees POV, your system is a failure.
The beneficiary of your system is you.

It will be fine

But the fly in your ointment is that being productive at Ground doesn’t bear the same fruit that collective bargaining does. Therefore, from the employees POV, your system is a failure.
The beneficiary of your system is you.
Me and the consumer that receives services for a lower price. The union makes UPS less competitive which is why they’ve steadily lost market share for decades.

zeev

UPS picked up Amazon and gained huge market share leaving Ground with Walmart Target Best Buy . Customer where is my package, oh it’s sitting on a trailer at one of the hubs.

MAKAVELI

Me and the consumer that receives services for a lower price. The union makes UPS less competitive which is why they’ve steadily lost market share for decades.
I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx rates are in line with each other. They don't vary much for the average consumer. Individual large accounts may get steep discounts for volume but UPS does this as well. Fedex Ground has gained market share mainly due to increase in demand and because of the brand Express built for the Corporation.

It will be fine

I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx rates are in line with each other. They don't vary much for the average consumer. Individual large accounts may get steep discounts for volume but UPS does this as well. Fedex Ground has gained market share mainly due to increase in demand and because of the brand Express built for the Corporation.
UPS had a massive head start to own the small package delivery market. Their union didn’t allow the corporation to react quickly enough to capitalize on the increasing demand. They’ve been losing market share for decades, that’s not a good thing for a business regardless of why you believe that’s happening.

MAKAVELI

UPS had a massive head start to own the small package delivery market. Their union didn’t allow the corporation to react quickly enough to capitalize on the increasing demand. They’ve been losing market share for decades, that’s not a good thing for a business regardless of why you believe that’s happening.
It's called competition. In an industry that's exploding in growth, it's impossible to avoid it. It's not what I believe, it's reality. Demand is too high for any one company to dominate the market. I'd expect a "business man" to understand that concept.

It will be fine

It's called competition. In an industry that's exploding in growth, it's impossible to avoid it. It's not what I believe, it's reality. Demand is too high for any one company to dominate the market. I'd expect a "business man" to understand that concept.
UPS could have dominated the market. They weren’t able to. Plenty of companies dominate sectors with high demand even with competition. See Google, Amazon etc. UPS allowed a competitor to take half the market and continues to lose ground every year.

It will be fine

What skill are you talking about competing for as a delivery driver?
It’s not a high skill job but there are skills required. Safe driving, organization, time management etc. The highest compensated drivers at Ground are the ones that excel in those areas. A driver that can do work in 5 hours that others take 8 will make more money by the hour at Ground. The opposite is true with union workers.