The Concept of Constructive Dissatisfaction

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
HEY MR Fedx your alway asking questions sum times you seem like a ups supervisor. digging and probing instead of getting right to the point. you know the answers to most of the things you ask.why dont you go to feddx cafe oh yea theres not one because your not a UNION company. so you come on this site to hide under the coat of brown . I still think your a supervisor for wich company you work for im not sure just get real have a good day night what ever.:surprised:
rocket man, please read the Brown Cafe terms of service, personal attacks are not welcome here:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-site. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion forum about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

rocket man

CHERYL IM NOT A FIGHTER IT WAS A OPINION .much like you have more than most .if you read what i wrote i said have a good day i dont have or want to have the wright to tell who comes on bc . the more you stick up for this person i get more positive he or she is not a fed xer. butt its a super for brown. so what hub are yoU two from andS how the rest of the people on this some more integrity violations like a good super would. and DONT SEND ME NO MORE PRIVATE MESSAGES . HAVE A GOOD DAY.

browniehound

Tie, please stick around and post as you used to. We need your perspective here. We actually need more posters like you in this forum as I agree with you that there are too many people who come here to say how much they hate their boss

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey Rocket Man. I'm happy to report I'm an hourly wage slave just like you and have no ties to FedEx or UPS management. If you've ever read any of my other posts you'll see I'm a strong advocate for unionization, which isn't exactly the FedEx corporate position. In fact, if they knew who I was, my firing would be quickly arranged by the talking heads down in Memphis.
So before you stick your entire leg into your mouth, why don't you actually read some of the stuff I've written about FedEx and get a clue.
By the way, spelling classes are available at your local high school.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey, Rocket Man. First, turn-off the Jerry Springer Show. Next,if your Pinto will start, follow the trail of cigarette butts and beer cans from your single-wide to the exit of your mobile home park. Turn either left or right and drive until you see a large building with a flagpole in front of it. Sometimes a yellow and black school bus will be parked outside. Turn-off your car, go inside, and tell them you have a room temperature IQ. They'll know what to do next. You're welcome...

UPS Lifer

Hey, Rocket Man. First, turn-off the Jerry Springer Show. Next,if your Pinto will start, follow the trail of cigarette butts and beer cans from your single-wide to the exit of your mobile home park. Turn either left or right and drive until you see a large building with a flagpole in front of it. Sometimes a yellow and black school bus will be parked outside. Turn-off your car, go inside, and tell them you have a room temperature IQ. They'll know what to do next. You're welcome...

MrFedEx - Have you ever heard of the old saying "that is a little like the pot calling the kettle black!". Look at Cheryl's post about 5 up from here and you took it to a whole different level as a flame.

If you didn't know this person and you were sitting inside Cheryl's house as an invited guest how would you think the person would take what you just said if they were looking you in the eye? Come on .... As a guest in someone else's house is this appropriate conduct?????

You are representing FedEx when you come onto this board and you should act accordingly. This type of behavior only makes the other guy look more credible when they say "Why are we allowing FedEx folks on this site???"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Point taken...sorry. I guess I just get tired of being flamed for simply being on this site. Now I'm accused of being a UPS management plant that spies for Brown. Truth be told, I couldn't be a manager for either FedEx or UPS, because I have no tolerance for their mindset or behavior. I just don't have it in me to write someone up for some sort of petty methods violation when they run like a dog every day. I could really give a crap whether or not someone holds their key a certain way, or puts their documents in a crate facing-in per FedEx Best Practices, or any of that other Tayloristic BS. I save that sort of stuff for when I get a checkride, and the rest of the time I do what works, probably just like most UPS drivers.
If you want to accuse me of something, at least have the courtesy to read some of my other posts before you start calling me something I'm not(a manager).

tieguy

Banned
Point taken...sorry. I guess I just get tired of being flamed for simply being on this site. Now I'm accused of being a UPS management plant that spies for Brown. Truth be told, I couldn't be a manager for either FedEx or UPS, because I have no tolerance for their mindset or behavior. I just don't have it in me to write someone up for some sort of petty methods violation when they run like a dog every day. I could really give a crap whether or not someone holds their key a certain way, or puts their documents in a crate facing-in per FedEx Best Practices, or any of that other Tayloristic BS. I save that sort of stuff for when I get a checkride, and the rest of the time I do what works, probably just like most UPS drivers.

I would imagine you would support management implementing petty methods if it involved getting you paid properly?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Badgering people about methods is often petty. If I don't hold my key properly when exiting my vehicle, or spend an extra 3 seconds when doing package selection, that's petty. Maybe the address isn't clearly written, or it's obscured by a routing sticker. If a manager gets in my face over it, that's BS. I'll more than make-up the difference on the road and my stops per hour figures will back it up. If I don't honk my horn and back over someone at my station, that's not petty. Getting paid is not the same as Taylorism and you know it. You're a manager, so I'm assuming you're familiar with the terminology.

UPS Lifer

I know you think there are a lot of petty things that supervisors look for and I know most drivers feel that way but if everyone did that (lost 3 seconds) at every stop every day ...the time adds up to a tremendous amount of hours.
3 sec a stop at 120 stops a day = 6 min x 200 work days a year = 20 hours. Multiply that by 50,000 drivers and you have 100,000 hours a year. Picking up the pennies off the floor means the difference of having the money to bail out the central states fund or not. It means being able to give a better raise or not. It means being able to keep the rates down to compete with FedEx OOPS!!!

This is why UPS has been around for 100 years and will continue to be there, when these young drivers retire to pay for their pension!!!!!

nice formula there Lifer. I think I have seen it before. The problem with formulas is that all the unknowns have to be plugged in. Here's some other unknowns.
The number of useless diad messages received each day. At times up to 6 or 7
Call the center ASAP. three times per week

The number of times you have to spend 5 minutes looking for the 3rd of three misloaded package in a day. sometimes as bad as 4 times a day.

The number of times you have to back track because you couldn't find that package even after looking for it for 5 minutes. 2-3 times per day

15-20 minute PCMs EVERYDAY

stretching exercises after the 15-20 minute PCM +5 additional minutes
(don't blow smoke that the stretching prevents injuries, by the time a driver reaches his first stop he is cold again.)

UP$= penny wise dollar foolish. And those are just a few things I could think of, off the top of my bald head.

tieguy

Banned
Badgering people about methods is often petty. If I don't hold my key properly when exiting my vehicle, or spend an extra 3 seconds when doing package selection, that's petty. .

Ever watch someone fumble for their keys? Forget which pocket they put them in? Organized routine makes you much more efficent. Our fanatisicm with methods is why we are so much more efficent. :happy-very:

Now we have fdx people telling us why ups management is screwed up. interesting exercise. :happy-very:

TNL having other issues that you can not control should not be an excuse to be inefficent on things you can control.:happy-very:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Routines are great, and so is efficiency. What I object to is taking it to ridiculous extremes. If I fumble my keys on a checkride, I don't expect to be written-up for it. Taylor left out tolerance for human error, a major mistake in my opinion. You cannot engineer a human being to operate like a machine....there is no such thing as a real-life Jason Bourne.
Let's say FedEx starts Taylorizing trips to the toilet...is that reasonable?
1. Approach the toilet looking left..right..left for cross traffic.
2. Knock twice on the stall door to check for occupancy.
3. Approach toilet at a brisk walk...do not run.
4. Pre-trip toilet for cracks,leakage, or damage.
5. Using both hands, pull protective gasket from holder and place on seat.
6. With left hand, undo belt buckle, and drop pants with right hand.
7. Make a brisk 180 degree turn.
8. Sit-down rapidly and begin evacuation process.You have 45 seconds to complete this operation.
9. Approximately 15 seconds into evacuation begin the Pre-Wipe Process (PWP) and take exactly 4 squares of paper from the dispenser.
10. Bend forward at 45 degrees and pre-position hand. Begin Actual Wipe Process (AWP) at 40 seconds.
11. Arise briskly from seat and bring up pants, reversing steps 6 and 7.
12. Open stall door, looking left..right..left for cross-traffic. Leave yourself a space cushion.
13. Exit restroom using left hand to push door and right hand to turn knob if so equipped.
Ridiculous, isn't it? And so is Taylorism...if taken to extremes. Both FedEx and UPS methods are extreme.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
What is the record for replies to a post. I keep expecting this post to start dropping down the list, but its not. Will it break 300 without getting off off off topic? There is at least 3 dfferent topics going.:st_patrick::clubbing::its_all_good: :soapbox::blahblah::offtopic::tt2::taz::punk:

tieguy

Banned
Routines are great, and so is efficiency. What I object to is taking it to ridiculous extremes. If I fumble my keys on a checkride, I don't expect to be written-up for it. Taylor left out tolerance for human error, a major mistake in my opinion. You cannot engineer a human being to operate like a machine....there is no such thing as a

Somehow this discussion has migrated from petty methods to engineering and potty training. You previously objected to petty methods training. You identified how you carry your keys as one example. If I teach you how to carry your keys each time then you don't fumble for them and waste time and you don't lose them and miss time and service on those packages. Taking this argument to engineering robots and potty training is an illogical next step.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Actually, TieGuy can write me up twice. Once for failure to fill-out the Toilet Inspection Report (TIR) and a second time for not making sure the paper was properly oriented on the dispenser. It's amazing how managers don't understand what it feels like to have petty rules crammed down your throat every day. For the most part, we are delivery professionals, and we know how to do the job far better than any manager ever could. I think it's actually anti-productive for managers to be rule enforcers rather than leaders. I have a lot more respect for someone who actually knows what they are doing as opposed to a manager who can quote(and enforce) policy verbatim.

tieguy

Banned
Actually, TieGuy can write me up twice. Once for failure to fill-out the Toilet Inspection Report (TIR) and a second time for not making sure the paper was properly oriented on the dispenser. It's amazing how managers don't understand what it feels like to have petty rules crammed down your throat every day. For the most part, we are delivery professionals, and we know how to do the job far better than any manager ever could. I think it's actually anti-productive for managers to be rule enforcers rather than leaders. I have a lot more respect for someone who actually knows what they are doing as opposed to a manager who can quote(and enforce) policy verbatim.

I don't think you get it. you drive for fdx so I really hope you do use sloppy methods. By the way this manager has delivered a heck of a lot more packages in any given day using these same petty methods then you will ever be able to do. Maybe your managers have never delivered but most of ours know the business. I can't believe Cheryl sees any value in having you here on this site other then your showing that you are not as disciplined and committed as UPS drivers.