The Power of Part-Timers

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
this is what I was referring to. you had customers that did not get their packages. if you lose them for these reasons then you definitely will not create any full time jobs and you may end up losing part time jobs. Don't get me wrong as a ups person I enjoy seeing these types of service disconnects at your company. I'm just surprised you guys don't realize the cost of letting those packages sit?

The cost doesn't matter. There's a mentality among some that they should do everything they can to stick it to "the man." In this case, Fred S. The only people it hurts are those who do it and their immediate co-workers when they get new goals or new rules for the workplace to rectify the problem of packages not getting delivered. Guess what they do next? Complain about the new policies and use them as further justification to act immature again!

In a previous life, I worked at for a company and some at our branch adopted the same mentality to send a message to the evil corporate bosses. In the end, most of the work was transferred to another faciility and most of the employees were laid off. Worked out really well, obviously.

59 Dano

We had late freight today, and when several part-timers were "asked" to stay late...they all refused. Good for them. The freight just sat there, and because 2 of our managers were already doing routes, it probably never hit the streets. Wouldn't it be great if more part-timers would stand their ground and follow the policies that keep them down to the letter?

And then we'd have part-timers who turn down additional hours while they complain about a lack of money.

Here's the deal. If you are PT, they cannot require you to stay beyond your scheduled hours...no matter what. The plane or CTV can be 3 hours late...it's not your problem..it's theirs. And unless you stand your ground and leave them hanging, nothing is going to change. If you want to be PT, that's fine, but if you really want to be FT, they need to get the message that you're not playing their game, and nothing drives the point home like Code 01's, service failures, and managers having to do routes.

Because the best way to demonstrate your work ehtic and dedication is to walk away in circumstances where your help might really be needed.

If you don't want the additional hours, then don't work them. It's your right not to. If you want to stick it to 'the man' in that way, that's your business and you have every right to do so. Later on, when there's something that comes up that could go either way and the manager has to make a judgement call, or your manager could make a difference in a decision by putting in a good word for you to a senior or MD, don't get your hopes up.

Take whichever path you want, but be willing to live with the results.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The cost doesn't matter. There's a mentality among some that they should do everything they can to stick it to "the man." In this case, Fred S. The only people it hurts are those who do it and their immediate co-workers when they get new goals or new rules for the workplace to rectify the problem of packages not getting delivered. Guess what they do next? Complain about the new policies and use them as further justification to act immature again!

In a previous life, I worked at for a company and some at our branch adopted the same mentality to send a message to the evil corporate bosses. In the end, most of the work was transferred to another faciility and most of the employees were laid off. Worked out really well, obviously.

Hey, you're back!! Did they let you out early? Your comparison really doesn't make any sense because the structure of FedEx doesn't really lend itself to a wholesale restructuring. Good try.

Fighting back against Fred S isn't "immature"...it's a necessity. As much as you love him, it's high time that Mr Smith be brought into line and forced to reconsider some of his positions. You might not mind the takeaways and all of the oppressive and illegal policies (like the injury policy, for example), but a lot of excellent employees have been hurt by them, and not just in the pocketbook.

59 Dano

Your comparison really doesn't make any sense because the structure of FedEx doesn't really lend itself to a wholesale restructuring. Good try.

I wasn't talking about wholesale restructuring. I was talking about getting rid of people who couldn't be counted on. As you and I both know, work is sometimes moved from one location to another at FDX, which is how it was resolved at a former workplace.

Fighting back against Fred S isn't "immature"...it's a necessity. As much as you love him, it's high time that Mr Smith be brought into line and forced to reconsider some of his positions. You might not mind the takeaways and all of the oppressive and illegal policies (like the injury policy, for example), but a lot of excellent employees have been hurt by them, and not just in the pocketbook.

I never said I loved the guy, so stop making that claim toward anyone who isn't as much of a malcontent as you. You keep fighting, though! Lemme know when you accomplish something.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wasn't talking about wholesale restructuring. I was talking about getting rid of people who couldn't be counted on. As you and I both know, work is sometimes moved from one location to another at FDX, which is how it was resolved at a former workplace.

We will be signing union cards within a year. I would call that an accomplishment, and if I've changed even one person's perspective through this site, it will all be worth it. You say you don't love Smith, so why continue to take his crap? I'm guessing you're OK with everything they do to us?

Here's a question. At FedEx Freight, they top-out in 4 years, yet they are also non-union. What do you suppose is the motivation to make their top-out times roughly a quarter of the 20 years it takes over at Express? Same company, different division. You let me know when you figure it out. Hint: It has something to do with our labor classification status.

vantexan

And then we'd have part-timers who turn down additional hours while they complain about a lack of money.

Because the best way to demonstrate your work ehtic and dedication is to walk away in circumstances where your help might really be needed.

If you don't want the additional hours, then don't work them. It's your right not to. If you want to stick it to 'the man' in that way, that's your business and you have every right to do so. Later on, when there's something that comes up that could go either way and the manager has to make a judgement call, or your manager could make a difference in a decision by putting in a good word for you to a senior or MD, don't get your hopes up.

Take whichever path you want, but be willing to live with the results.

Back in the early 90's I remember working about 40 Saturdays one year. I was getting burned out, decided to not volunteer for a Saturday. Mgr asked me to work it anyways and I turned it down. He decided to not let me work any more Saturdays. Eventually transferred. Fact is that once you start down the path to doing extra you'll be taken for granted, expected to do more than others. And the only real reward for doing extra is the extra pay. Doesn't guarantee anything extra for raises.

vantexan

We will be signing union cards within a year. I would call that an accomplishment, and if I've changed even one person's perspective through this site, it will all be worth it. You say you don't love Smith, so why continue to take his crap? I'm guessing you're OK with everything they do to us?

Here's a question. At FedEx Freight, they top-out in 4 years, yet they are also non-union. What do you suppose is the motivation to make their top-out times roughly a quarter of the 20 years it takes over at Express? Same company, different division. You let me know when you figure it out. Hint: It has something to do with our labor classification status.

Might have more to do with competition for Class A CDL drivers amongst trucking companies. FedEx wouldn't be competitive and keep drivers if they did the same thing to them that they do to couriers. Same reason couriers put up with the bad pay. How does our job translate into a better paying position elsewhere? Without a union we have little hope of improving our situation.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Might have more to do with competition for Class A CDL drivers amongst trucking companies. FedEx wouldn't be competitive and keep drivers if they did the same thing to them that they do to couriers. Same reason couriers put up with the bad pay. How does our job translate into a better paying position elsewhere? Without a union we have little hope of improving our situation.

I doubt it has anything to do with Class A status. It has everything to do with the fact that FedEx Freight is under the NLRA, and drivers would have already organized if FedEx had jacked them around the way they do Express.

vantexan

I doubt it has anything to do with Class A status. It has everything to do with the fact that FedEx Freight is under the NLRA, and drivers would have already organized if FedEx had jacked them around the way they do Express.

I like your explanation better than mine. Would certainly explain why they are given so much more than we are. And sadly they are fighting for the right to continue to exploit us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I like your explanation better than mine. Would certainly explain why they are given so much more than we are. And sadly they are fighting for the right to continue to exploit us.

This is why FedEx doesn't want you to know how the other divisions get paid. If couriers knew that FedEx Freight and LTL drivers had 4-year topouts and a much better starting wage, they'd be furious, and rightfully so. Your average courier works a lot harder than an RTD, Freight or LTL driver, and the Class A isn't that tough to obtain. More double-speak and lies from the best in the business. If either Freight or LTL were under the RLA, they'd be getting screwed just like we are. The lack of ethics in this company truly astound me.

FedEx2000

All you have to do is ask the next Freight driver you see......it's not exactly top secret. Unless they are weird about it and don't want to tell you for some reason.....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All you have to do is ask the next Freight driver you see......it's not exactly top secret. Unless they are weird about it and don't want to tell you for some reason.....

The drivers are happy to tell you. Are you going to announce it at your next AM meeting or answer honestly if someone asks you about it? Probably not, unless you want a call from your MD.

FedEx2000

I honestly have no knowledge of the Freight payscale other than what has been posted on here......so no, I wouldn't address it in a meeting without knowing more. And no one has ever asked.