THE REALITY OF THE U.P.S. CONTRACT

Anonymous 12

Non active member
image.jpg

Irishman Collins

Since, no one seems to have anyting to say but comments about the Irish heritage. I am moving on to another topic for another day. I have to say though. I am a bit disappointed in this site. I expected a better exchange of opinions and ideas. Oh, and one more thing. I am not T.D.U., never have and most likely never will. I disagree with our current administration at the I.B.T. and the leaders in Ohio. We need change in a bad way and if you don't see that just wait until your health care becomes " Unsustainable", it shouldn't take to long with the A.C.A. and the lack of protection from it for Taft Hartley non profit health plans. Goodnight all! I am off to grab some green jello! Lol!

Sent using BrownCafe App

L

Lizzzow

Since, no one seems to have anyting to say but comments about the Irish heritage. I am moving on to another topic for another day. I have to say though. I am a bit disappointed in this site. I expected a better exchange of opinions and ideas. Oh, and one more thing. I am not T.D.U., never have and most likely never will. I disagree with our current administration at the I.B.T. and the leaders in Ohio. We need change in a bad way and if you don't see that just wait until your health care becomes " Unsustainable", it shouldn't take to long with the A.C.A. and the lack of protection from it for Taft Hartley non profit health plans. Goodnight all! I am off to grab some green jello! Lol!

Sent using BrownCafe App

*yawn* just go to bed, get some sleep, wake up and go do your job. It is what it is. Why stress and worry over things? Good luck with that, let me know how that goes for you.

O/C

Sent using BrownCafe App

I still have to go back to what the company paid into our health and welfare coverages last year. Mine stated close to 20,000 dollars, that is again just for health benefits, pension not included. That is roughly 9.50 per hour for a 40 hour week. Just what kind of health insurance in the private market could you buy with that kind of annual contributions, and it goes up every contract year per Article 34 master.

Why during the contract negotiations did the company want us to pay out of pocket to supplement that already negotiated monetary contribution?

Are the projected insurance rates going to be that out of control?

Something is just not right here, the whole story please.

Irishman Collins

I guess it would all depend on who you believe about the negotiations over health care. In my opinion the company did propose that we pay a portion of our health insurance. It is what happened after that I question. First of all the company was recording record profits at the time of negotiations. So do you really think they would have fought the Union that hard on continuing to keep things the way they were in each respective area? The company would of never let us walk out on health care issues. They were profiting record numbers. Why would they? The Union used this proposal as a way to bring in more participants into their Taft Hartley non profit plan. In which they understood that without additional participants to this health plan the plan would begin to have monetary issues. Also coupled with the Affordable Care Act and the lack of legislation to protect Taft Hartley plans from the Affordable Care Act. The Union saw the writing on the wall and realized they had to have these additional participants to keep the plan solvent, all the while hoping for legislation to pass to protect their plan. In addition it is my belief that the company saw the desperation the Union had to get these new participants and took full advantage of this. Hence, the reason this contract is full of concessions and give backs. This is only my opinion of course but it seems to be
more transparent as you see the lack of Union support for areas that are screaming over this change in their health care. Riders or Supplements can address health care but they refuse to do so. In the Ohio Rider this point is proven by giving local 348 continued autonomy in regards to health care. So, will your cost go up? Hell yes, and the days of enjoying excellent pay and benefits will diminish as we start to pay for our insurance, co-pays and deductibles.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

upschuck

I guess it would all depend on who you believe about the negotiations over health care.
The one who tries to fire us, or the one who fights for us. Tough decision.
In my opinion the company did propose that we pay a portion of our health insurance.
Not an opinion. Did you want to pay $90/week ?
First of all the company was recording record profits at the time of negotiations. So do you really think they would have fought the Union that hard on continuing to keep things the way they were in each respective area? The company would of never let us walk out on health care issues. They were profiting record numbers. Why would they?
Who is UPS most worried about...their stockholders. They need to continually make higher and higher profits now that the economy is picking up. HC is something that was the biggest unknown in cost for them, so they were either going to charge high premiums, which management get to pay, or switch to a very good alternative and no premiums. Easy choice.
The Union used this proposal as a way to bring in more participants into their Taft Hartley non profit plan. In which they understood that without additional participants to this health plan the plan would begin to have monetary issues.
The HC plan is strong now, and should get stronger with the new participants. This is evidenced by increasing benefits to existing members.
The Union saw the writing on the wall and realized they had to have these additional participants to keep the plan solvent, all the while hoping for legislation to pass to protect their plan. In addition it is my belief that the company saw the desperation the Union had to get these new participants and took full advantage of this.
Goes back to the first part of your post
Hence, the reason this contract is full of concessions and give backs. This is only my opinion of course but it seems to more transparent as you see the lack of Union support for areas that are screaming over this change in their health care.
Full of concession is a little excessive, don't you think. Negotiations is a give and take, not just a take, take, take.

My h&w and pension is run and controlled by nw administrators. Ups pays nw administrators directly. Nw administrators pays the insurance company (which was changed in 3/2013). Assuming they got a better deal. Every state that uses them has a little different coverage and sometimes different insurance companies. My pension, I believe, is similar. Ups pays nw administrators and they pay western conference pension fund. I do know for sure that anytime you need info on your pension you must contact them and your retirement application goes through them.

Irishman Collins

Upschuck, I am still waiting on your, or anyone's response to any new legislation protecting us from the Affordable Care Act? In addition, what should I be all giddy about when it comes to this give and take negotiations, you refer to? You are right though the union gave and the company took.

Sent using BrownCafe App

upschuck

Upschuck, I am still waiting on your, or anyone's response to any new legislation protecting us from the Affordable Care Act? In addition, what should I be all giddy about when it comes to this give and take negotiations, you refer to? You are right though the union gave and the company took.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yah, and you would have it under the UPS plan, right, that is why you were going to pay $90/week for it, something I am not willing to do.

Obviously you don't know about negotiations. Did we get a perfect contract? No, but that is not going to happen in a million years. Did UPS get a perfect contract? No, that won't happen either. I am a realist, I see a bigger picture.