The religion of peace strikes again...

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Read newfie's posts. He, like I, dwell in the "here and now", not what happened hundreds upon hundreds of years ago.

I'm sorry your scope is so limited.
Why did you ask me to list a verse from the bible for you then?
You realize the bible was written hundreds upon hundreds of years ago right?

Or maybe you're just deflecting.

bbsam

Staff member
Read newfie's posts. He, like I, dwell in the "here and now", not what happened hundreds upon hundreds of years ago.

I'm sorry your scope is so limited.
Incorrect. The crusades were sanctioned by the Catholic church and thus a legitimate and desired brutality of the Christian faith. However, that is not how history now views these events. So it is difficult to not accept that Christianity (or a warped reading of it) is not just as violent if not more so than Islam and those who twist it to their own selfish, hateful and shameful acts.

wayfair

swollen member
Incorrect. The crusades were sanctioned by the Catholic church and thus a legitimate and desired brutality of the Christian faith. However, that is not how history now views these events. So it is difficult to not accept that Christianity (or a warped reading of it) is not just as violent if not more so than Islam and those who twist it to their own selfish, hateful and shameful acts.

it's 2016

newfie

And?

In 2016 do we condemn Christianity as barbaric? Time means nothing in our interpretations of action. Neither the Bible nor the Koran have changed muche since the Crusades.

you're right you don't get it. I think i'll live a lot longer dodging 16th century catholics then you will dodging modern day islamists.

Dr.Brownz

It's not called jihad in the bible, it's called herem.

I find it hilarious that people like you spend so much time and effort bashing other religions instead of looking inward and learning a little bit more about your own.

All religions teach hate for others. They all need to go away. Especially the culture of radical islam, or what passes as right wing muslims in muslim countries.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
All religions teach hate for others. They all need to go away. Especially the culture of radical islam, or what passes as right wing muslims in muslim countries.
There are some modern day religions that don't, but...
People use religion to teach hate, no doubt about that. I'm not sure we'd be any better off without religion though. Most people need something to fear, or something to expect in return for being good, no matter how irrational it is.

Dr.Brownz

i'm curioius , how many church services have you been to where they preached hate for others?

Its insinuated throughout the entire culture that non believers have bad qualities. Been to many church services where non believers are mocked and or called names. Its still hate and really its just a tactic to try to unify the cult and get more donations because the people running these religious organizations do it for the money.

Dr.Brownz

People use religion to teach hate, no doubt about that. I'm not sure we'd be any better off without religion though. Most people need something to fear, or something to expect in return for being good, no matter how irrational it is.

How did religious beliefs make the world better? What made the world better was people establishing systems that lead to the creation of wealth and thus increased the overall standard of living.

When you don't have anything to believe in, you have no reason to try to better yourself. I guess we will all know the truth one day.

Sportello

When you don't have anything to believe in, you have no reason to try to better yourself. I guess we will all know the truth one day.
What if I believe in myself, and the people around me, but don't accept The Lord Jesus as my one, true savior?

If religion is your reason for bettering yourself, you're gonna have a bad afterlife.