The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I am enjoying seeing those in my center who have never taken a lunch being FORCED to now. The subject has been brought up at every PCM this past week,and y/day some of the Favourite Sons were issued Documented Talk With forms over lunch violations and told not only MUST they take the 30 min break before the 8th hour , the time spent driving from breaking trace to lunch cannot be counted( i.e if it takes 2 min to get there and 2 to get back 34 min must be taken)

I have heard more than one whinging about having to work later,or ......and I cant make this up ......." I cant make my numbers now!'

management is irked not only having to spend time dealing with this,but watching the precious Production numbers falling as well.

Peak will be VERY interesting this year,as we have been instructed that if one takes ones lunch from 1200-1300 one MUST,in no uncertain terms take another 30 min break after 2100 as 8 hours will have elapsed from the end of the last break. I will be interested to see how management will deal with this challenge

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The company will be fine, UPS is very good at adjusting to changes and making money. The runners will sort it out as well, either by picking up the pace even more to make up for that "lost" half hour or by coming in a half hour earlier and working for free on the front end.

cino321

Haven't heard about this around here, although I think it's great. We have an hour unpaid break in our contract, but I think that UPS is now enforcing time spent driving to and from breaking trace is awesome. They were trying to fire people for stealing time for doing the same exact thing not too long ago.

oldngray

nowhere special
If people would just follow the rules about break time which they should have already been doing according to the contract it would not be an issue. UPS loved those people who always skipped lunches and let them get away with not dispatching enough routes. It will a painful adjustment for a few and instead of them trying to find ways to get around the rules, they should just work as instructed and take those breaks they are required to take. I also think its funny because many people have told them for a long time they should have been taking that break time but they didn't listen, so now that bad karma is coming back to bite them on the butt.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I am enjoying seeing those in my center who have never taken a lunch being FORCED to now. The subject has been brought up at every PCM this past week,and y/day some of the Favourite Sons were issued Documented Talk With forms over lunch violations and told not only MUST they take the 30 min break before the 8th hour , the time spent driving from breaking trace to lunch cannot be counted( i.e if it takes 2 min to get there and 2 to get back 34 min must be taken)

I have heard more than one whinging about having to work later,or ......and I cant make this up ......." I cant make my numbers now!'

management is irked not only having to spend time dealing with this,but watching the precious Production numbers falling as well.

Peak will be VERY interesting this year,as we have been instructed that if one takes ones lunch from 1200-1300 one MUST,in no uncertain terms take another 30 min break after 2100 as 8 hours will have elapsed from the end of the last break. I will be interested to see how management will deal with this challenge

Sounds like they might actually have to bid some routes and/or more peak season driving slots.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Watch them, so called take break, then afterwards, do 15 stops in 5 minutes, all stop complete from the same location! "Rabbits" are so scared they always find ways around taking their breaks and working off the clock.

I wonder if one could put in a grievance for the company allowing workers to work off the clock? So easy with the DIAD and telematics to check.

barnyard

KTM rider
It has forced me to rethink when I take break. I am covering a route that starts in town, does a bunch of rural, then comes back to town. I used to take break at the end of the day on this route, just because it was inconvenient to find a place to stop that also had a bathroom. Now, when I am done with my in-town stuff, I break trace, eat lunch, read the paper and have a nice break.

I like it.

Management here has said that they will start disciplining drivers starting next week if they are not taking a 30 min lunch. They also said if it continues to be a problem the decision will come from above to lock all the diads for 30 min a day.

The company will be fine, UPS is very good at adjusting to changes and making money. The runners will sort it out as well, either by picking up the pace even more to make up for that "lost" half hour or by coming in a half hour earlier and working for free on the front end.

if you are saying the first half hour would be their lunch that will not work. they will work 8 hours after which will require another 30 minute break. i also don't see how the runner gunners can save even more time, they already run, cut corners, come in 30 minutes early to sort their truck, there is no more time to save.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I think we will see a further increase of accidents and injuries as drivers will eschew working safely,by the methods and not driving posted speed limits

barnyard

KTM rider
I have found though, that when I ate anywhere between 2:30 and 4p, I would get home and be fine with a later supper (7:30ish). Now, eating between 11:30 and 12:30, when I get home, I am STARVING.

over9five

Staff member
It simply amazes me that anyone would fight this. How can anyone have so little pride and self respect to work for free?
​Doesn't happen in Feeders.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
It simply amazes me that anyone would fight this. How can anyone have so little pride and self respect to work for free?
​Doesn't happen in Feeders.
There are some drivers in my center who either play softball or coach little league andwant to be off as early as possible and will use any means to be there

some simply dont want to work past 1730-1800 and will use any means to be off by that time

some are terrified of management and will do what they can to scratch

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
if you are saying the first half hour would be their lunch that will not work. they will work 8 hours after which will require another 30 minute break. i also don't see how the runner gunners can save even more time, they already run, cut corners, come in 30 minutes early to sort their truck, there is no more time to save.
I'm saying they will come in a half hour early and work off the clock to make up for the half hour lunch they get "forced" to take. As far as saving even more time don't underestimate the hard core runners, necessity is the mother of invention.

over9five

Staff member
I'm saying they will come in a half hour early and work off the clock to make up for the half hour lunch they get "forced" to take. As far as saving even more time don't underestimate the hard core runners, necessity is the mother of invention.

If there's any kind of a steward there, this could be stopped immediately. File for that time! It is managements responsibility to keep people from working before their start time. Once they start paying every day for that time, they'll put a stop to it.

oldngray

nowhere special
It is only a matter of time before some of them get caught working off the clock or falsifying records or working unsafely. Until that happens UPS might turn a blind eye but as soon as something happens UPS will just say they told the runners they had to take a full lunch. And the runners will discover how much gratitude UPS will have for them then.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have one guy that used to record 30 minutes driving to his area that was 10 minutes away and then record the second 30 minutes driving back in. Its driving him crazy, just like the guy who used to run and skip his whole lunch everyday. Both of them won't be clocking out at 5PM anymore. We did have a tier 3 accident yesterday, I don't know if it involved one of our rabbits trying to make up time.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Over, IF one truly loves what they do, they may be willing to work for free, or if it is important. For many who don't have the big picture, skipping their lunch is more important than being seen on a report, which could cost them their job, or at least they think it will.

Before they resort to locking out boards, they will make sure drivers are following methods and working efficiently. I was someone who regularly skipped his lunch, and thought there was absolutely NO WAY the route could be done regularly with me taking a full hour lunch and 10 minute break. After several rides I've come to see differently. Not only am I able to take lunches, but whereas before if I had a bad day and was asked I'd say something along the lines of, "Was just one of those days,", I am now aware of what may delay my day. There is a lot of fat to be cut from a lot of drivers' days, and provided the ride is not part of an OJS-and it doesn't have to be-they'll be thankful for it in the end.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If there's any kind of a steward there, this could be stopped immediately. File for that time! It is managements responsibility to keep people from working before their start time. Once they start paying every day for that time, they'll put a stop to it.
It's an issue that we've had for years and yes it gets filed on. Keep in mind that stuff like this is a little trickier to handle in a RTW state.

oldngray

nowhere special
Over, IF one truly loves what they do, they may be willing to work for free, or if it is important. For many who don't have the big picture, skipping their lunch is more important than being seen on a report, which could cost them their job, or at least they think it will.

Before they resort to locking out boards, they will make sure drivers are following methods and working efficiently. I was someone who regularly skipped his lunch, and thought there was absolutely NO WAY the route could be done regularly with me taking a full hour lunch and 10 minute break. After several rides I've come to see differently. Not only am I able to take lunches, but whereas before if I had a bad day and was asked I'd say something along the lines of, "Was just one of those days,", I am now aware of what may delay my day. There is a lot of fat to be cut from a lot of drivers' days, and provided the ride is not part of an OJS-and it doesn't have to be-they'll be thankful for it in the end.

On most routes there is little to no fat that could be cut. Your route must have been an exception. And most delays or problems on a route is due to dispatch and mostly from cutting out routes and throwing the work on other routes with no concern of how badly it messes up the numbers or whether it will even be possible to get all of the business delivered.