The Solution - Productivity, Morale, Income

rod

Retired 22 years
We probably lose money on this route but you have to have these routes to cover every address.

Seriously has anyone EVER been told that their route makes money? We all know that most routes do but to listen to the otherside everyone is a slug and no routes are profitable.:happy2: I never once in 30 years had any management come up to me and say "dang you sure made us a pile of loot yesterday".

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Seriously has anyone EVER been told that their route makes money? We all know that most routes do but to listen to the otherside everyone is a slug and no routes are profitable.:happy2: I never once in 30 years had any management come up to me and say "dang you sure made us a pile of loot yesterday".

^
^
^
haha....rotflmao...good one rod.....so funny because its so true.

Leftinbuilding

I was told one time, that the whole northern half of Calif was a money loser. Too rural etc.... Really makes your bust-your-butt efforts seem futile.

As to the premise of the OP, a good percentage of drivers would starve under your system. "Productivity" is not their priority. They were looking for a job, not work, when they applied.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
...As to the premise of the OP, a good percentage of drivers would starve under your system. "Productivity" is not their priority. They were looking for a job, not work, when they applied.

Money in another words. Some formula that takes mileage, stops, everything into consideration.

Anyway, it was a thread to inspire thought, not anger...

"Lighten up, Francis"

Leftinbuilding

Money in another words. Some formula that takes mileage, stops, everything into consideration.

Anyway, it was a thread to inspire thought, not anger...

"Lighten up, Francis"

No anger here, LOL. My point is, a few drivers would potentially do very well. The rest don't have the work ethic to have pay based on production. Granted, over time these would probably be weeded out.

some1else

Banned
Ask the FedEx ground contractor on your route how this kind of system is working for them.....
the one i talk to is a sub-subcontractor. someone owns 4 trucks/ routes and has 4 drivers (the owner covers) to run them. fed-ex pays him w/e the rate is and the sub-sub gets 750 a week. he does about 75% the work of the ups route in the same area but stays out as long with his pu. doesnt seem too bad but he probable is exaggerating his pay, and his situation is about as good as it gets for them...

leastbest

LeastBest
No anger here, LOL. My point is, a few drivers would potentially do very well. The rest don't have the work ethic to have pay based on production. Granted, over time these would probably be weeded out.

I have never met a driver who didn't have a good work ethic.

Many have been beaten down to where they don't care any more. The job is incredibly physical and that isn't taken into account as the driver ages. Much could be done to accommodate the older drivers. Instead of working with them management uses the old standbys.

I'm curious how one could ascribe a poor work ethic to someone unless you actually rode with them. The racing forms give a false portrait of their day.

Leftinbuilding

I have never met a driver who didn't have a good work ethic.

Many have been beaten down to where they don't care any more. The job is incredibly physical and that isn't taken into account as the driver ages. Much could be done to accommodate the older drivers. Instead of working with them management uses the old standbys.

I'm curious how one could ascribe a poor work ethic to someone unless you actually rode with them. The racing forms give a false portrait of their day.

LOL That line, combined with your user name, makes me wonder if you know what a good work ethic is. No offense intended. Just find that an incredible statement.

leastbest

LeastBest
LOL That line, combined with your user name, makes me wonder if you know what a good work ethic is. No offense intended. Just find that an incredible statement.

My name wasn't chosen by me. It was given to me

How would you define a poor work ethic? I've done my job for thirty-four years.

chopstic

This would be a great idea... To actually recognize hard work, to make money based on merit. I wish the union would allow UPS to recognize the quality of the work and not just the quantity(seniority).

Leftinbuilding

My name wasn't chosen by me. It was given to me

How would you define a poor work ethic? I've done my job for thirty-four years.

This defines a good work ethic. Taken from Retailrecruiters.com.

Work Ethic
Work ethic is a set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence. It is also a belief in moral benefit of work and its ability to enhance character. Having a good work ethic can take you a long way in your career.
There are examples of work ethic traits that employers consider important:
  • Attendance: Arrives on time and gives advance notice of absence.
  • Character: Displays loyalty, honesty, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, initiative, self-discipline, and self-responsibility.
  • Attitude: Demonstrates a positive attitude.
  • Productivity: Good work habits result in a good work product.
  • Teamwork: Respects others; is a team worker and is cooperative.
  • Organizational Skills: Manifests skill in personal management, time management, flexibility and the ability to deal with change.
  • Communication: Have appropriate verbal and nonverbal skills.
  • Cooperation: Have leadership skills; maintains appropriate relationships with supervisors and peers.
  • Respect: Treats everyone with respect.
  • Appearance: Displays appropriate dress, grooming, hygiene and etiquette

And you have never seen a driver who was lacking in any of these areas?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This defines a good work ethic. Taken from Retailrecruiters.com.

Work Ethic
Work ethic is a set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence. It is also a belief in moral benefit of work and its ability to enhance character. Having a good work ethic can take you a long way in your career.

There are examples of work ethic traits that employers consider important:
  • Character: Displays loyalty, honesty, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, initiative, self-discipline, and self-responsibility.
  • Organizational Skills: Manifests skill in personal management, time management, flexibility and the ability to deal with change.
  • Cooperation: Have leadership skills; maintains appropriate relationships with supervisors and peers.
And you have never seen a driver who was lacking in any of these areas?

LIB, are you sure this list is correct? I don't see length of service anywhere on the list.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

LOL - these mean less than nothing in a Union Shop. See UpStates Post above.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

LOL - these mean less than nothing in a Union Shop. See UpStates Post above.

This is NOT what I said. What I said was:

Work ethic and length of service have nothing to do with one another, perhaps more so in a union environment.

I happen to agree with LIBs definition of the term "work ethic". I strongly disagree with least best when he equated work ethic and length of service. Punching a time clock for 34 years is hardly an indicator of a strong work ethic.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This is NOT what I said. What I said was:

Work ethic and length of service have nothing to do with one another, perhaps more so in a union environment.

I happen to agree with LIBs definition of the term "work ethic". I strongly disagree with least best when he equated work ethic and length of service. Punching a time clock for 34 years is hardly an indicator of a strong work ethic.
But a driver punching the clock in his 34th year of service will not be as productive as a driver in his 4th year!

leastbest

LeastBest
People do far more than just 'punch a clock' for 34 for years.

They work their asses off during peaks, work through bad weather and deal with customers, dogs and management. They handle thousands upon thousands of packages.

A work ethic is Hard Work and Diligence.

That is what has been done. Denigrating those who make UPS profitable is foolish. I worked with fine people over the years. They all have worked hard and deserve respect and our thanks.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was told one time, that the whole northern half of Calif was a money loser. Too rural etc.... Really makes your bust-your-butt efforts seem futile.

Curious as to how long ago that was.

Technology enables UPS to price each shipper more accurately than 10 years ago and especially 15.
We now have the delivery information on every shipment by a shipper and the cost by address. These are all crunched to come up with a true cost ... unless shipper changes their characteristics.

Leftinbuilding

Curious as to how long ago that was.

Technology enables UPS to price each shipper more accurately than 10 years ago and especially 15.
We now have the delivery information on every shipment by a shipper and the cost by address. These are all crunched to come up with a true cost ... unless shipper changes their characteristics.

Hoax, that was probably 25-30 years ago. Long time, but no one has ever stated otherwise in the interim.