This Day in History......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 11, 1986
Following up on their successful November 1985 summit meeting in Geneva, President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev meet in Reykjavik, Iceland, to continue discussions about curbing their intermediate missile arsenals in Europe. Just when it appeared that agreement might be reached, the talks fell apart amid accusations and recriminations, and U.S.-Soviet relations took a giant step backwards.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct.12, 1492
After sailing across the Atlantic Ocean, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus sights a Bahamian island, believing he has reached East Asia. His expedition went ashore the same day and claimed the land for Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain, who sponsored his attempt to find a western ocean route to China, India, and the fabled gold and spice islands of Asia.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 13, 1792
The cornerstone is laid for a presidential residence in the newly designated capital city of Washington. In 1800, President John Adams became the first president to reside in the executive mansion, which soon became known as the “White House” because its white-gray Virginia freestone contrasted strikingly with the red brick of nearby buildings.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Oct. 13, 1792
The cornerstone is laid for a presidential residence in the newly designated capital city of Washington. In 1800, President John Adams became the first president to reside in the executive mansion, which soon became known as the “White House” because its white-gray Virginia freestone contrasted strikingly with the red brick of nearby buildings.
It was a brothal in the 1990's !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct 15, 1989
During a game against his old team, the Edmonton Oilers, Canadian ice hockey great Wayne Gretzky breaks Gordie Howe’s National Hockey League career scoring record of 1,850 points.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
image.png
on this date in 1988 , I watched college football , had a slick red mustang gt , played softball , cards, then passed out at a strip club in Boston enjoying my last day of freedom with my brothers, cousins and best buds !! This all came crashing to an end the following afternoon at Sacred Hearts parish , when some guy with a robe forced me to say "I Do "
Thank God the last of the Chinese food came up at 9 am as her 250 lb 6' tall cousin was banging on my door !!!
I miss the softball , I miss the mustang and a few of those guys and not so much the mullet , but she's a keepah!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
View attachment 100570 on this date in 1988 , I watched college football , had a slick red mustang gt , played softball , cards, then passed out at a strip club in Boston enjoying my last day of freedom with my brothers, cousins and best buds !! This all came crashing to an end the following afternoon at Sacred Hearts parish , when some guy with a robe forced me to say "I Do "
Thank God the last of the Chinese food came up at 9 am as her 250 lb 6' tall cousin was banging on my door !!!
I miss the softball , I miss the mustang and a few of those guys and not so much the mullet , but she's a keepah!!
Happy Anniversary!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 17, 1931
On this day in 1931, gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in prison for tax evasion and fined $80,000, signaling the downfall of one of the most notorious criminals of the 1920s and 1930s.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 18, 1867
On this day in 1867, the U.S. formally takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory from Russia for $7.2 million, or less than two cents an acre. The Alaska purchase comprised 586,412 square miles, about twice the size of Texas, and was championed by William Henry Seward, the enthusiasticly expansionist secretary of state under President Andrew Johnson.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 19, 1781
Hopelessly trapped at Yorktown, Virginia, British General Lord Cornwallis surrenders 8,000 British soldiers and seamen to a larger Franco-American force, effectively bringing an end to the American Revolution

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 20, 1947
On October 20, 1947, the notorious Red Scare kicks into high gear in Washington, as a Congressional committee begins investigating Communist influence in one of the world’s richest and most glamorous communities: Hollywood.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 21, 1959
On this day in 1959, on New York City’s Fifth Avenue, thousands of people line up outside a bizarrely shaped white concrete building that resembled a giant upside-down cupcake. It was opening day at the new Guggenheim Museum, home to one of the world’s top collections of contemporary art.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 22, 1962
In a televised speech of extraordinary gravity, President John friend. Kennedy announces that U.S. spy planes have discovered Soviet missile bases in Cuba. These missile sites—under construction but nearing completion—housed medium-range missiles capable of striking a number of major cities in the United States, including Washington, D.C.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 23, 42
Marcus Junius Brutus, a leading conspirator in the assassination of Julius Caesar, commits suicide after his defeat at the second battle of Philippi.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 24, 1901
On this day in 1901, a 63-year-old schoolteacher named Annie Edson Taylor becomes the first person to take the plunge over Niagara Falls in a barrel

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 25, 1853
On this day in 1853, Paiute Indians attack U.S. Army Captain John W. Gunnison and his party of 37 soldiers and railroad surveyors near Sevier Lake, Utah. Gunnison and seven other men were killed, but the survey party continued with its work and eventually reported its findings to the United States Congress.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 26, 1881
On this day in 1881, the Earp brothers face off against the Clanton-McLaury gang in a legendary shootout at the OK Corral in Tombstone, Arizona.