This Day in History......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 15, 1867
On this day in 1867, the first stock ticker is unveiled in New York City. The advent of the ticker ultimately revolutionized the stock market by making up-to-the-minute prices available to investors around the country

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 16, 1973
On this day in 1973, President Richard Nixon declares that America’s energy requirements have outpaced its production capacity and urges Congress to pass Senate Bill 1081, which would authorize the construction of a pipeline to access oil from the North Slope of Alaska.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 18, 1978
On this day in 1978, Peoples Temple founder Jim Jones leads hundreds of his followers in a mass murder-suicide at their agricultural commune in a remote part of the South American nation of Guyana. Many of Jones’ followers willingly ingested a poison-laced punch while others were forced to do so at gunpoint. The final death toll at Jonestown that day was 909; a third of those who perished were children.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Nov. 18, 1978
On this day in 1978, Peoples Temple founder Jim Jones leads hundreds of his followers in a mass murder-suicide at their agricultural commune in a remote part of the South American nation of Guyana. Many of Jones’ followers willingly ingested a poison-laced punch while others were forced to do so at gunpoint. The final death toll at Jonestown that day was 909; a third of those who perished were children.
...and people have been referring to KoolAid ever since.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I just watched a special on cults and they told the story again. I couldn't remember the congressmen's name that was killed.....it was Ryan.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 19, 1863
On November 19, 1863, at the dedication of a military cemetery at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln delivers one of the most memorable speeches in American history. In just 272 words, Lincoln brilliantly and movingly reminded a war-weary public why the Union had to fight, and win, the Civil War.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 20, 1947
In a lavish wedding ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, Princess Elizabeth marries her distant cousin, Philip Mountbatten, a dashing former prince of Greece and Denmark who renounced his titles in order to marry the English princess.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 21, 1877

The American inventor announces his invention of the phonograph, a way to record and play back sound.

Edison stumbled on one of his great inventions–the phonograph–while working on a way to record telephone communication at his laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey. His work led him to experiment with a stylus on a tinfoil cylinder, which, to his surprise, played back the short song he had recorded, “MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB”. Public demonstrations of the phonograph made the Yankee inventor world famous, and he was dubbed the “Wizard of Menlo Park.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Nov. 22, 1963
John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th president of the United States, is assassinated while traveling through Dallas, Texas, in an open-top convertible.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's one of those events where most people, who were living at the time, know exactly where they were. I was in sophomore typing class.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was barely out of diapers. I remember seeing it on TV and my mom was so upset but I couldn't really understand what was going on.