This Year the PURPLE PROMISE DID NOT HAPPEN

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Duh. That happens every year in this industry and retail as well. What is your point?
No point. Just an honest observation.
I know a lot of UPS'ers get put on "stand by" even if they have 5+ yrs. of driving under them.

barnyard

KTM rider
It would seem like Fed Ex is looking at the trucking industry as a whole and saying, "Heck, we could do that."

Way back when, trucking was a regulated industry. It paid very well and was very hard to get into.

Then some geniuses decided that trucking needed to be deregulated and it was. Thanks to deregulation, rates were cut and they were cut at the expense of driver pay. In real dollars, OTR drivers have lost money since the late 80's. In 1988, I used to haul hay for some local farmers. I was paid $2/loaded mile. Fast forward to 2012 and I can have the same hay hauled for darn near the same money including FSC and someone would tell me they were well paid for that.

Fred is a smart student of history. He knows there is always someone around that will do it cheaper. As long as he pays just a little bit more than what a retail mallrat makes, he will have people standing in line to drive. There is nothing anyone can do about it because he has made it legislatively impossible for the people he is hurting the most, to do anything about it.

You can say it will not work all day long, but Schneider National, Werner Enterprises, Swift and a host of others are managing to make money in spite of 100-125% driver turnover. That kind of turnover is going to make it easier for UPS to pick up some accounts, but there will always be shippers that care about price over everything. It would appear that is who Fred wants to appeal to.

It is a sucky truth, but there you go.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It would seem like Fed Ex is looking at the trucking industry as a whole and saying, "Heck, we could do that."

Way back when, trucking was a regulated industry. It paid very well and was very hard to get into.

Then some geniuses decided that trucking needed to be deregulated and it was. Thanks to deregulation, rates were cut and they were cut at the expense of driver pay. In real dollars, OTR drivers have lost money since the late 80's. In 1988, I used to haul hay for some local farmers. I was paid $2/loaded mile. Fast forward to 2012 and I can have the same hay hauled for darn near the same money including FSC and someone would tell me they were well paid for that.

Fred is a smart student of history. He knows there is always someone around that will do it cheaper. As long as he pays just a little bit more than what a retail mallrat makes, he will have people standing in line to drive. There is nothing anyone can do about it because he has made it legislatively impossible for the people he is hurting the most, to do anything about it.

You can say it will not work all day long, but Schneider National, Werner Enterprises, Swift and a host of others are managing to make money in spite of 100-125% driver turnover. That kind of turnover is going to make it easier for UPS to pick up some accounts, but there will always be shippers that care about price over everything. It would appear that is who Fred wants to appeal to.

It is a sucky truth, but there you go.

Hey, you right!! I drive beeg reeg just like back home in Buttphukistan. Back home I get only 30 dreknars a month but heer I make BIG money drive for FedEx Ground. I work many hours for free and not use log book like supposed to but it all OK if not get caught. To save time, me and Hregnish cut big hole in bottom of traktor so we can take big dump or pee and not stop!!

HomeDelivery

And now, all those extra drivers are looking for a job. Awesome.

including me... i'm finally gonna wise up and get paid by the hour from now on; not work for free

to load/sort my vehicle,
do a pre-trip inspection/ post-trip inspection,
stock supplies for the package vehicle,
fuel up & drive to the service area
dead head back to the terminal

if a temp agency can pay me hourly + OT over 40 hours / week, why not a contractor?

i thought they have the power to negotiate their contracts to actually start paying their employees a fair wage...

some drivers did fairly well when they were loaded with over 250+ stops per day for the past 2 months, but peak is done

i'll still probably hang around with 1-2 contractors that paid me well in the past, but i'm done bending over for no pay for doing the other parts of the job for free...

barnyard

KTM rider
i'll still probably hang around with 1-2 contractors that paid me well in the past, but i'm done bending over for no pay for doing the other parts of the job for free...

There is always someone that will do that work for free. The only way that will change is if employees either quit doing unpaid work or documenting it and going to their state Department of Labor and see if the state will back them up.

barnyard

KTM rider
Hey, you right!! I drive beeg reeg just like back home in Buttphukistan. Back home I get only 30 dreknars a month but heer I make BIG money drive for FedEx Ground. I work many hours for free and not use log book like supposed to but it all OK if not get caught. To save time, me and Hregnish cut big hole in bottom of traktor so we can take big dump or pee and not stop!!

The thing is, the big companies convinced Congress that OTR driving is a training option for people laid off from other industries. That means that a laid off employee can use Federal retraining money to get CDL training.

Look at how wages and work conditions have changed at any deregulated industry and you will see the future of Fed Ex. Fred is looking to eventually shed pensions as well as slashing payroll.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The thing is, the big companies convinced Congress that OTR driving is a training option for people laid off from other industries. That means that a laid off employee can use Federal retraining money to get CDL training.

Look at how wages and work conditions have changed at any deregulated industry and you will see the future of Fed Ex. Fred is looking to eventually shed pensions as well as slashing payroll.

Agreed. I see all benefits eventually going away.

bbsam

Staff member
I know you are bitter, and I know you are trying to be funny, but when you do this you only come off as an elitist ass. Quite surprising as well considering how quick you were to defend a gentleman out west with a thick Russian accent who was fired by a Ground contractor. Yet here you are insulting, degrading, and bigoted. Why?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I know you are bitter, and I know you are trying to be funny, but when you do this you only come off as an elitist ass. Quite surprising as well considering how quick you were to defend a gentleman out west with a thick Russian accent who was fired by a Ground contractor. Yet here you are insulting, degrading, and bigoted. Why?

Actually, you come-off as an elitist ass when you keep trumpeting how great Ground is...when it isn't. Just because you've got a fat wallet these days everything is good...for you. I was trying to be funny here, and that's why I used a fictional country with fictional names. Fiction..get it?

A lot of Ground employees are immigrants that get taken advantage of by the Ground scam. Lots of Russians, Hispanics, and other folks who were not born here and thinking driving for indendured servitude wages are a "good" deal. It's only good for you and Fred, not them.

So, get down off your Green Ground horsie before I kick you off it again.

STFXG

How are they being taken advantage of? They are all legal immigrants. They get paid at least minimum wage. They are covered under workers compensation. And they have the option to leave... Just like you do.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How are they being taken advantage of? They are all legal immigrants. They get paid at least minimum wage. They are covered under workers compensation. And they have the option to leave... Just like you do.

Rationalize it any way you want...Ground is a scam. It takes advantage of a poor economy, and the bottom-rung of workers who have limited choices. I'm glad you can go to sleep at night with a clear green conscience.