Threatened with termination for refusing to help after a 10.5 day

The OP made every attempt to do his part but was thwarted by management.

"Every attempt to do his part" ?

I went back and reread the OPs post. Based off that post, it implies he mentioned his closing as he was told to go back out. Any house I've closed on I've known weeks in advance. Every attempt on his part would have been to arrange for the day as soon as he knew.

oldngray

nowhere special
"Every attempt to do his part" ?

I went back and reread the OPs post. Based off that post, it implies he mentioned his closing as he was told to go back out. Any house I've closed on I've known weeks in advance. Every attempt on his part would have been to arrange for the day as soon as he knew.

Closing date can change at last minute. When I tried to close on my house I scheduled the day off and went to finish the paperwork. There was a problem with the seller and a quit claim deed so couldn't close that day and had to reschedule a couple of days later.

oldngray

nowhere special
Usually if you are back at the building you can refuse to go back out again. Or at least its that way where I worked.

Closing date can change at last minute. When I tried to close on my house I scheduled the day off and went to finish the paperwork. There was a problem with the seller and a quit claim deed so couldn't close that day and had to reschedule a couple of days later.

And I'm sure you informed management as soon as you could.

It's a lot easier to win a battle with management when you know you've got all your "i's "dotted and "t's" crossed.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why in the world would you burn a day for an 8 pm appointment?

Because, depending on his start time (I'm basing this on a start time of 8:30) a 10.5 day would have the driver leaving the hub at 8PM. If he was instructed to help beyond that time, he'll punch out after 8 and miss the appointment.

If his start time is AFTER 8:30 then it just makes my case even stronger.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
On Monday June 16 I was threatened with termination for refusing to go help a driver after I had done 200 stops .. I was sent a msg in my board at 630 pm to go help on a route even though I had 20+ left of my own and a misroute to run , and a ton of pick up pieces .... On returning to the building I was told that if didn't go back out to help I would be terminated by my supervisor and then again by my manager over a phone call . I told them I couldn't as I'm in the process of trying to sell my house and had papers to sign with my realtor , but I went back out anyway in fear of losing my job . I rescheduled my appt for today and the same thing happened , I told them I could bring in another guys pick up pieces and if possible take a few stops ( which I was unable to do ) I was greeted by my manager and told I had not followed orders and would be pulled in the office in the morning . My shop steward has filed for harassment against me . I should add that I'm a scratch/bonus driver and show up everyday to work and help out ALOT .

We call this PM dispatching. In our center if you leave the building with what is in your car then it is yours for the duration. If work needs to be shifted then it happens in the AM. PM dispatching is a big NO NO though on certain occasions it has been known to happen if a driver has an emergency situation and has to leave work. Good policy

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Realtors are available on weekends.

That is not the issue. The issue is that he got done 10.5+ and HAD to go and help. As a driver, you shouldn't HAVE to take a day off or call out to make an appointment, especially when it is scheduled for late enough in the day.

If I schedule something after 8PM and I miss it, then I'm going to call out the next day (maybe 2) and then when I come back I'll drop the anchor and make you pay.

That is not the issue. The issue is that he got done 10.5+ and HAD to go and help.
As he was DIRECTED.

As a driver, you shouldn't HAVE to take a day off or call out to make an appointment, especially when it is scheduled for late enough in the day.
Shouldn't HAVE to but in todays UPS environment he DOES HAVE to.

If I schedule something after 8PM and I miss it, then I'm going to call out the next day (maybe 2) and then when I come back I'll drop the anchor and make you pay.
Do what ya gotta do.