to Ground / HD contractors...

HomeDelivery

please don't follow in Fred S's footsteps & keep your supplemental temp drivers in the dark...

be upfront with them so they can plan past peak season & not string them along, only to dump them on Dec 24th

in this economy, those drivers looking for anything to stay above water will work hard for you & i don't want them to be left hanging without a job again after all the stuff they're going through.

i'll do my part to weed out the bad drivers from the good ones; once i refer you the good hard-working people, let them know if you're going to keep them full-time for the whole year or just until X-mas.

As always, i tell them that this is just a "stepping stone" until something better comes along... & to keep on plugging those resumes out there

have a good peak season!

HomeDelivery

well UPS can afford to pay for the background checks, Health/DOT and drug screens... a lowly contractor may want to be straight with people so they can keep them in their list as emergency backup drivers if needed.

If FedEx took the time to keep the good drivers in their system, because they already have jump through the hoops to attain the DOT card & 10-year work history check, it only makes economical sense to keep their status "active" & call upon those drivers to be terminal supplementals during spikes of package volume

now, 2 of the terminals see this as common sense & is doing just that...

i'm just putting the word out because this site has seen a spike of views over others & not to hold their breaths coming aboard Full Time.

makes sense to you?

HomeDelivery

If FedEx took the time to keep the good drivers in their system, because they already have jump through the hoops to attain the DOT card & 10-year work history check, it only makes economical sense to keep their status "active" & call upon those drivers to be terminal supplementals during spikes of package volume (like pro-flowers.com valentine's day shipments)

watch as management will read this post & adopt my thinking as "standard operating procedure" for the HD division nation-wide...

HomeDelivery

is this a good thing or a bad thing? Nevertheless, FedEx can't touch me because i'm not an employee... so i don't have a gag-order

i'm just gettin' the word out... i'm just sick & tired of it every peak season of how these temps are treated. Maybe because i'm in a state that is "at-will" employment???

Some of these temps do suck as many Express couriers has stated on these threads, & is shown the exit door as soon as volume dies out, but the exceptional ones deserve some fair treatment...

I have an open-door policy with the other temps & now i can refer them to this site to see how it is run.

i know of some good contractors out there & they can call upon me to cover for them in emergency situations in exchange for their past honesty with me. They pay me better rates than their own regular drivers.

some temps are very productive and can knock out 20 stops per on road hour... so it makes sense to go with a contractor and do a per-stop pay over per-hour pay, eventhough it's only until X-mas eve.

also, after Black Friday, most HD drivers under a contractor will work 6 days a week (Mon-Sat up to 70 hours) vs temp drivers of only working 5 days a week (Tues-Sat only 40 hours). Those productive drivers can almost double his weekly pay this way

now, those other contractors that practices the "dangling of the carrot" trick that previously hired me, i would never work for them from then on...

u guys exposed Express shenanigans a bit too late; i'm just trying to get a head start on the HD side

Last edited:

HomeDelivery

nope, i'm just exposing what goes on the Ground/HD side... i have fun doing my job & knows how to work the system

u guys exposed Express shenanigans a bit too late; i'm just trying to get a head start on the HD side

since i recall that you said the same to me,

you stay with your Express-threads

& i'll stay on the Ground-threads since you don't know what's going on with the green opco

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
Alright. Mr. 7, Home Delivery, which one of you wants to be moreluck and which wants to be Upstate? HD, your slightly know-it-all attitude might have Upstate's role seem a natural. 7...hmmm...sorry buddy. Put on the skirt and start skimming Weasel Zippers. moreluck you are.:happy-very:

HomeDelivery

i don't know squat... whatcha talking about? if i knew more, i'd also be into the Contractor business, but I don't want to sell out my fellow man

bbsam

Staff member
i don't know squat... whatcha talking about? if i knew more, i'd also be into the Contractor business, but I don't want to sell out my fellow man

You can't sell out your fellow man if he keeps showing up for what you pay. Besides, you're too much "by the book" to make it as a contractor.

HomeDelivery

sure & that's why FredEx is trying to push Express to our level...

I'll keep on doing things by the book & you keep on selling your workforce short

STFXG

Then why don't you go work for express? Or become a contractor and lead by example? It's not selling a workforce short. It's providing an opportunity to an able person willing to fill the position. If it wasn't acceptable no one would take the job.