Today is Memorial Day- On my soapbox...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just because people plan get togethers because of the extra day off does not mean they don't know the meaning of the day.
We aren't sitting shiva, we are thanking those that made our freedom possible!!

The vast majority of Americans do not know the true meaning of the day, often confusing it w/Veteran's Day.

moreluck

golden ticket member
th

wkmac

Sometime during the day I always enjoy a good war film to watch. One of my favorites starring James Garner and Julie Andrews is the 1964' film "The Americanization of Emily" which both Andrews and Garner have called their all time favorite film. Well worth the watch if you like great film, good war films and of course great acting.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sometime during the day I always enjoy a good war film to watch. One of my favorites starring James Garner and Julie Andrews is the 1964' film "The Americanization of Emily" which both Andrews and Garner have called their all time favorite film. Well worth the watch if you like great film, good war films and of course great acting.

Garner's speech near the end is a classic.

wkmac

In memorial to SP4 Richard Hamilton Bridges, killed 4/17/67', Pleiku Province, South Vietnam.

Richard lived across from my grandparents and was good friends with my uncles. When they were playing sandlot football, I was way too small so I sat watching on the side. Richard came over, threw me up on his big shoulders, handed me the ball and off for the score we went with me laughing and yelling all the way. Now over 50 years later from that day, I never forgot it. And I got mad as hell when I learned that the Gulf of Tonkin was a lie and never happened.

RIP Richard as I still sit upon your shoulders.

SP4 Richard Hamilton Bridges

trickpony1

American Legion typically wear distinct uniforms.
It would be difficult to miss.
Was there a 21 gun salute?

Thanks for being there.

Bad wars, good warriors.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The vast majority of Americans do not know the true meaning of the day, often confusing it w/Veteran's Day.

This made me curious. FWIW, I asked the three teenagers in my car today what the meaning of each holiday was. All three knew the difference. Granted, they're in the advanced classes. All hope is not lost.

wkmac

The best way to honor our fallen soldiers is to fight the very people who manipulate the conditions that create more fallen soldiers.