Unclaimed Pension for Deceased Employee

goterpsgo

Looking for help in finding out of any sort of Unclaimed pension exists for my deceased father in law.

He passed away approx 7 yrs ago, even before I met my spouse . I recently found out that her mother did not contact UPS about any potential pension/retirement he may have left behind.

Does anyone have any advice on who I should contact to find out if any unclaimed benefit exists? Just trying to do the leg work for my mother in law :)

Thanks in advance

beentheredonethat

Was he a union employee or non union? If union, what local? When did he die (in relation to his age ie 45 years old? ) How many years did he have working for UPS (PT yrs, FT yrs). If non union, you will need to call Corporate UPS.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't quote me but I would guess if he had never actually drawn a pension and his wife never persude it when he died years ago I would say you are probably out of luck. JMO

beentheredonethat

I don't know 100% about pensions (for mgmt), but I do know that if I left before the minimum age of 55, then I would still be eligible for a pension but starting at "normal" retirement age of 65 and the amount would be greatly reduced. I believe (but definitely not positive) this would be true also for people who died before the age of 55. Their spouse would be eligible but they would have to wait tll 65 and it would be a reduced amount. Again.. lots more details needed by OP.

goterpsgo

Thanks for the information. I am attempting to get as much info about his work status...but we all know how tough it is to get anything out of a mother in law! I am guessing he was employed as a route driver for over 20 years. He passed away approx 8 years ago. He was born in 1951, so that would have made him approx 55-56 years of age at time of death. I have made a call to [FONT=georgia,times new roman,times]UPS/IBT PENSION[/FONT] toll free number, and left a message. No call back of course.

goterpsgo

Made the call today. They were able to locate his info and are sending paperwork out to my mother in law. They would not provide any specifics, as they could not verify who I was. Hopefully this is a great start in the right direction. Thanks for the contact info

rod

Retired 22 years
Made the call today. They were able to locate his info and are sending paperwork out to my mother in law. They would not provide any specifics, as they could not verify who I was. Hopefully this is a great start in the right direction. Thanks for the contact info

let us know how this all turns out----good luck

beentheredonethat

I agree with Rod, good luck and let us know hot it turns out. Granted money can't replace your father in law. But.. hopefully it can make finances a bit easier for your mother in law.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Just saw this, I'm local 639. She should be eligible for the maximum surviving spouse benefit that he could have selected had he retired before passing away. It's been awhile since I looked at the options but I believe that would be 50% of the full pension, might be as as high as 75% though. My own experience with the folks at the local is that they are pretty helpful, so best of luck.