United Parcel Service Process And Career Path

BHolliday2011

I am about to become a UPS Part Time Package Handler at the Chicago Area Consolidation Hub and had finished an Interview and had finished the Tour and Process and called UPS to schedule a start date and the UPS woman mentioned I am number nine in line to be scheduled a start date and had been interested as to what this would mean and the amount of time I need to wait until I am scheduled a start date and also I am curious as to what the classroom training and one on one training would be like such as if someone could provide me information about it such as what is needed of me and what I would experience?

Also I am interested to become a UPS Tractor Trailer Driver and am curious as to whether UPS would provide on the job training or would I need to obtain a CDL without UPS and obtain one on my own expense and time?

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
UPS will train you for your CDL. But, if I'm not mistaken, those positions are bid by seniority. I don't think you can be hired "off the street" for feeders.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Training? That's funny. UPS expects you to get your CDL, if that is what you want.

This is not the case in my center--we currently have three pkg car drivers in the process of getting their CDL's.

Back to the OP--there is a member here who calls himself cachsux. He would be your best bet for information. Thanks for spelling out CACH as I had no idea what the letters stood for.

menotyou

bella amicizia
This is not the case in my center--we currently have three pkg car drivers in the process of getting their CDL's.

Back to the OP--there is a member here who calls himself cachsux. He would be your best bet for information. Thanks for spelling out CACH as I had no idea what the letters stood for.

Our center manager is wayyy to cheap.

I am about to become a UPS Part Time Package Handler at the Chicago Area Consolidation Hub and had finished an Interview and had finished the Tour and Process and called UPS to schedule a start date and the UPS woman mentioned I am number nine in line to be scheduled a start date and had been interested as to what this would mean and the amount of time I need to wait until I am scheduled a start date and also I am curious as to what the classroom training and one on one training would be like such as if someone could provide me information about it such as what is needed of me and what I would experience?

#9 on the list? I couldn`t begin to tell you what that means. But there are over 5000 workers there so I can`t see you having a big wait. There must be a need for you somewhere in the building.

What`s needed of you? A heartbeat, the ability to show up for work on time, and at least a semi-serious attempt at doing your job.

What will you experience? Some pretty tough work. If you`re lucky you`ll get a decent sup who`ll treat you like a human being. Ask your coworkers at your break who your union steward is. Until you make seniority and enter the union it won`t apply to you but the sooner you know and understand the contract you`ll work under the better.

Also I am interested to become a UPS Tractor Trailer Driver and am curious as to whether UPS would provide on the job training or would I need to obtain a CDL without UPS and obtain one on my own expense and time?

When and if you get enough time with the company that you have the seniority to go feeder they will train you and get you your CDL. Getting one yourself before then on your own dime will not get you the job any faster. However, talk to H.R. and get your name on the list to go full time as a package driver which is the stepping stone to get to feeder and you never know. While that list is by seniority also the number of people ahead of you who want to go full time, can pass the tests, and do the job, might not be as large as it could be. You might luck out and go sooner than you think. Get your name on that list asap.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I always wondered what CACH was. I'm guessing that is a picture of it. 5000 employees? Holy! I think we have 60 total, including management. What goes on there? Do you deliver out of there, too?

I always wondered what CACH was. I'm guessing that is a picture of it. 5000 employees? Holy! I think we have 60 total, including management. What goes on there? Do you deliver out of there, too?

5000 is a guesstimate,between that and 6000. CACH is strictly,as the name implys, a consolidation hub between the surrounding central IL hubs and nearby states to create outgoing loads to the country, distribute incoming loads to the IL hubs, and act as a distribution point for loads passing through that don`t actually go through the sort process.

It`s a feeder only building, 351- 705 and 250-710 drivers are based out of there.

menotyou

bella amicizia
5000 is a guesstimate,between that and 6000. CACH is strictly,as the name implys, a consolidation hub between the surrounding central IL hubs and nearby states to create outgoing loads to the country, distribute incoming loads to the IL hubs, and act as a distribution point for loads passing through that don`t actually go through the sort process.

It`s a feeder only building, 351- 705 and 250-710 drivers are based out of there.

Wow. That's huge. I've tracked my own stuff and wondered what it was doing in IL. Now, I know. I thought Syracuse was big. My center would probably fit in your locker room!:wink2:

Wow. That's huge. I've tracked my own stuff and wondered what it was doing in IL. Now, I know. I thought Syracuse was big. My center would probably fit in your locker room!:wink2:

The ctr that takes care of my hometown is smaller than the wash tunnel for our trucks.