Upper management creating special form

clean hairy

Yes the trucks are equipped with them from the factory, there has been a campaign on removing them but no we are not given adequate time to find and remove them all. Also I have not seen a campaign for the newer trucks which are still being built with these installed.
Removing factory installed parts?
Is that such a good idea?

dragracer66

They had us do that campaign like 8 years ago. They wanted us to sign something also I told them no need, you gave us the info at PCM plus they read us the reason why off the automotive web page. Same reason some thermal event that happened some place. They never say where.....

10 point

Basically I am just curious as to whether this is something management can get away with or not and to get any input/opinions on this. I'll try to keep this short. Tonight we had a PCM and there was some information given to us stating that the DM has decided that due to a recent thermal event in another state but still within his district that we as mechanics would soon be required to sign a form along with our FT Sup and Fleet Manager that states that every vehicle in our fleet is free of metal "P clamps."

According to the DM, this form would have some kind of commitment of some sort but that after this is signed we would be terminated if there was a thermal event and the vehicle was found to have these clamps regardless if these clamps were the cause. The vehicle that had the "thermal event" was equipped with these clamps but it was determined that they were not the cause of the fire. I have contacted my shop steward about it but have not heard back from him just yet. I'm wondering if anyone else can provide some insight?
Red tag em all and pmi one a day if that gets it done..

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Will the plastic ones be better at holding cracked and bent frames together?
We laugh but I had a mechanic apologize to
Me once for this.

For weeks I wrote up the same issue. Supposedly everything checked out ok. Except it didn't. About a month later they said sorry we didn't think to look for a crack in the frame.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
Yeah they are just looking to blame us as usual. I would think this issue could be resolved with the manufacturer if they were truly worried about it but that probably makes too much sense.
Don't you know that every single thing wrong at UPS is the fault of hourlies? Amazon is buying aircraft,do you know why? Teamsters. The West Coast is experiencing bad weather,do you know why? Teamsters.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
So the steward says it's nothing to worry about they've been doing things like this for years. I dunno if kind of got the feeling he just didn't want to deal with it.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I haven't heard anything about a letter. I thought the P clamps werent suppose to be on main power wires-starter wires and alternator wires. Either way Im not signing anything.

Some of the "thermal events" or fire (the word the entire world uses) causes they come up with are nuts. There was one a few weeks or months ago, that UPS said was from transmission oil boiling over and catching fire. How the hell does tranny fluid boil over out of the dipstick? Allisons have temp sensors and limp modes/fallback modes. Ive never seen that. Fu$king nerds!

As far as P clamps go. Every heavy truck maker uses them with no problems. But some how Super UPS decides they know better then the OEM Engineers. You know, because after working 30 years at UPS, you are now at the top of the world and know everything. Some of the ideas management comes up with blows my mind. After they retire from UPS, the CIA should hire them for counter terrorism.

10 out of 100,000 trucks catch on fire, and they can solve the problem with removing the P clamps. I made those numbers up, but you know what Im saying.
We all collectively shook our heads on that transmission power point thing over here too. With all those p clamps removed from the Freightliners, I never saw ONE with any issues. IMHO the zip ties will make it worse. Never mind all the old clapped out stuff we got forced on us that has already had them for 20 years of service and only just now show any wear. How can I be busted on that stuff where it should technically already be gone on somebody else's watch?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Did you sign the safety pledge now in light of recent accidents? I asked my supervisor if this was to be used against us if an accident still happens to one of us.

Gear

Parts on Order
Did you sign the safety pledge now in light of recent accidents? I asked my supervisor if this was to be used against us if an accident still happens to one of us.

Your post is the first time I heard of the safety pledge. "Safety pledge", who thinks of this? LOL

I did hear about a mech who was carrying a laptop into a PC, slipped on the first step and got hurt. We were told not to carry anything while stepping into or out of a PC. Because we need 3 points of contact. I assume this is only meant for mechs. I would like to see the drivers' faces if they were told not to carry anything on or off the PC.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your post is the first time I heard of the safety pledge. "Safety pledge", who thinks of this? LOL

I did hear about a mech who was carrying a laptop into a PC, slipped on the first step and got hurt. We were told not to carry anything while stepping into or out of a PC. Because we need 3 points of contact. I assume this is only meant for mechs. I would like to see the drivers' faces if they were told not to carry anything on or off the PC.

We are still required to maintain 3 points of contact while carrying a package.