UPS Chief Executive Gets Raise

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If any of your investments mirror the S&P 500 then you do own UPS stock as well as FEDEX stock. With dividends come consequences...taxes.

S&P 500 and Russell 2000. I guess I do own UPS stock.

Are there still tax consequences on dividends if you choose to reinvest them rather than take them as a check?

Yes, but everytime you buy & sell, there are fees and tax consequences......

Absolutely correct! But, let's say you buy 100 shares of UPS or Fedex stock and it goes up 1 dollar and then you sell. You just made $100.00 and will probably have tax consequences of let's say $25.00. So I'm sitting here with $75.00 more in my pocket then I had yesterday and will probably be able to buy it back in a few days at a lower price then I paid for it originally and start all over again, and again, and again. Some people like to sit on it and some people like to sell it over and over again. Please do not be loyal to any stock...you can always buy it back.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You don't have to pay taxes on anything in your 401k until you withdraw from it. Talk with your accountant.

These were two separate statements. The first was in reply to your question as to my 401k investments. The second one was in reply to those who own UPS stock outside of a 401k. Sorry for the confusion.

pretzel_man

I respect your posts but..........please define creating long-term wealth. UPS stock price at close of day: 11/08/1999 = $70.50 - 3/18/2011 = $71.60
One hundred and ten pennies in 11 1/2 years is not long term wealth.

I was not at all trying to say that shareowners have seen long term wealth. Not at all. Those "greedy" shareowners have seen almost zero growth and I believe this is the true problem. Everything else is symptoms of that problem.

What I was referring to is this.....

Of the $10M Davis gets (yes, its a lot), over $8M of it is in "Restricted stock awards".

We have seen people complain that 1/2 of their MIP is in restricted stock awards. Over 80% of his compensation is restricted....

So, if stock goes down, that 80% will shrink. If stock goes up, that 80% will be worth much more....

I was pointing out that he has a significant personal incentive to see stock grow....

menotyou

bella amicizia
I was not at all trying to say that shareowners have seen long term wealth. Not at all. Those "greedy" shareowners have seen almost zero growth and I believe this is the true problem. Everything else is symptoms of that problem.

What I was referring to is this.....

Of the $10M Davis gets (yes, its a lot), over $8M of it is in "Restricted stock awards".

We have seen people complain that 1/2 of their MIP is in restricted stock awards. Over 80% of his compensation is restricted....

So, if stock goes down, that 80% will shrink. If stock goes up, that 80% will be worth much more....

I was pointing out that he has a significant personal incentive to see stock grow....

Could that be part of the reason for the direction of the company? Numbers matter, people don't?

pretzel_man

Could that be part of the reason for the direction of the company? Numbers matter, people don't?

I have met Scott Davis many time. He is a very good man. Listen to things he says....

Numbers AND people matter. Its not one or the other.

Too many people find an EXAMPLE of something they don't like, or something wrong, or something improper and use that EXAMPLE to prove their point.

I don't play the EXAMPLE game.

Davis and other senior managers have to balance ALL constituents; houlry employees, management employees, customers, shareowners, communities, government..... Its not one constituent exclusive of all others.... Its a balance.

So, to answer your question.... Its not numbers instead of employees, but YES.... Numbers DO matter. Yes, Davis, Kuehn, Abney will definitely do things to bring shareowner value. Its in their best interest, and as a shareowner I hope it works....

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have met Scott Davis many time. He is a very good man. Listen to things he says....

Too many people find an EXAMPLE of something they don't like, or something wrong, or something improper and use that EXAMPLE to prove their point.

Davis and other senior managers have to balance ALL constituents; houlry employees, management employees, customers, shareowners, communities, government..... Its not one constituent exclusive of all others.... Its a balance.

So, to answer your question.... Its not numbers instead of employees, but YES.... Numbers DO matter. Yes, Davis, Kuehn, Abney will definitely do things to bring shareowner value. Its in their best interest, and as a shareowner I hope it works....

Thank you for your reply. I haven't ever met the man, so it is nice to hear that we do matter. Tell him I need a favor!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Just being a smartbutt. I completely understand that numbers matter, but it can't be the only thing. People who work for him need to matter to. I wish I could have a chance to have lunch with him, or just a drink. I think it would be interesting to chat with him. Seriously.
Enjoy your weekend, P-man. Make some french toast for those lovely grandkids of yours.

If people do matter, and they should, then the BC will serve as a broad example on how Scott has failed. Not only hourly but also management. You can not treat people the same way over and over and expect a different result. Scott and the rest need to read the BC to see how their decisions and policies affect the people that make them the money.

menotyou

bella amicizia

By the way, your rep power # is the same as the zip code for Rodman, NY. I knew this tidbit would make your day.:laughing:

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, the time frame is questionable....how long does it take to increase a dollar ?? Sometime it's a day and sometimes it's months.

You didn't include your commissions for buying & selling.

Also, what about your cost basis?? Lots of UPS stock owners have a low cost basis and would get crucified with the tax consequences when doing what your're describing.

Options would be a better way of going and you don't actually have to own any stock......profit margin is larger.

OK, the time frame is questionable....how long does it take to increase a dollar ?? Sometime it's a day and sometimes it's months.

You didn't include your commissions for buying & selling.

Also, what about your cost basis?? Lots of UPS stock owners have a low cost basis and would get crucified with the tax consequences when doing what your're describing.

Options would be a better way of going and you don't actually have to own any stock......profit margin is larger.

It all depends on when you get in and at what price. Take a look at ups or fedex (and others) on their high/low for the day (you would be suprised). I use Scottrade $7 to buy 1 share or 1000 (volume does not matter). Cost basis can be a real problem (damn capital gains) but, what are you supposed to do (you can't take it with you) so just sell it slowly each year and plan for those taxes. I'm just not an options kind of person although, like anything else, you can make money. How about those bull put spreads!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Numbers

Now you are playing the numbers game, just like everyone accuses UPS doing. mis-using numbers to support your point of view, regardless of the honesty behind the numbers.

The stock price went sky high right after the initial public offering sale, because of a lot of interest in owning UPS stock, and people trying to make a killing. What would be a better comparison would be to take the stock price 6-8 months after that, and then when you add for splits etc, the stock price now is doing very well. So he is creating wealth.

Then take the UPS driver. There are very few jobs in the private sector that pay as well as a UPS driver. You will find that Registered nurses are paid almost as well as drivers. In many cases, a lot less, by 30%. And they have a degree.

So for what you bring to the table, you are very well paid for what you do, in comparison to many other jobs that make far less.

So if you want to compare your job to Scotts job, and what people with similar jobs and backgrounds make, he is still a bargain, where as the ups driver, not so much a bargain.

This is not to say you are not worth what you are paid, it is just comparing apples to apples, and not apples to watermelon.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
It all depends on when you get in and at what price. Take a look at ups or fedex (and others) on their high/low for the day (you would be suprised). I use Scottrade $7 to buy 1 share or 1000 (volume does not matter). Cost basis can be a real problem (damn capital gains) but, what are you supposed to do (you can't take it with you) so just sell it slowly each year and plan for those taxes. I'm just not an options kind of person although, like anything else, you can make money. How about those bull put spreads!

Hubby has been doing options and puts and has played it well this year.....extra few thousand a month always helps.

Griff

Give it a rest. Scott Davis is the worst **************** to ever attain any sort of power in this company's history. He cares nothing about people in operations, it sticks out like a raging sore thumb. You are just suffering from the same ivory tower syndrome as the rest of the Atlanta corporate hellspawn.

Last edited by a moderator: