UPS has not dropped the 30/60/90 requirement for employees 3/28/13

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I say no two-tiered wage or health insurance. We break our back for this company. This is not negotiable in my mind. Why we are still talking with UPS now is beyond belief.
Hall should show some guts and say, "Negotiations will continue when 30/60/90 is off the table."
How hard is that? Are we so afraid of UPS?

Inthegame

Hall should show some guts and say, "Negotiations will continue when 30/60/90 is off the table."

And this from someone who can't negotiate a cell phone contract. hall has more guts in his pinky than you'll ever have. Are you even an alternate Steward?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Could always make NEW HIRE employees pay for their insurance if they want it for 2-3 yrs. Then after that they get it at no cost. This will allow teamster to provide a great insurance plan like the way we have now without raising co pays .......etc.

That's the most retarded thing I've ever read. Do you understand that back when I was part time (2009) I started at 8.50 an hour with no benefits for 5 months and had to pay a $550.00 initiation fee? You now want those poor new part timers to give even more? You're being ridiculous and selfish.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I say no two-tiered wage or health insurance. We break our back for this company. This is not negotiable in my mind. Why we are still talking with UPS now is beyond belief.

That would result in an impasse being declared which is bad for workers. It can in some circumstances result in lockout and government intervention.

packageguy

let this all pan out. it is rumors, when there is something on table we can all talk about it. that is i am saying.. they are still talking which is a good thing...

Butters243

UPS has left the "paying for medical" on the table to get teamsters to talk about this, and not talk about harrassment. I read that on makeupsdeliver.org.

realbrown1

And this from someone who can't negotiate a cell phone contract. hall has more guts in his pinky than you'll ever have. Are you even an alternate Steward?
I was just quoting what hall said at the rally I attendend in February. What has changed in hall life since then to change his mind?

realbrown1

That would result in an impasse being declared which is bad for workers. It can in some circumstances result in lockout and government intervention.

Risk the impasse. Stike in August. Shut those mfers down if this is the way they want to treat us.

realbrown1

let this all pan out. it is rumors, when there is something on table we can all talk about it. that is i am saying.. they are still talking which is a good thing...
Sorry but it's not rumors. It's off of the teamster.org website. Think about this, it's already April (a few hours away) and our contract ends in July and UPS still wants concessions from it workers. Hell no.

DOK

From what I gather, and cannot find much info on, is that those that will be affected by 30/60/90 are only those in the ups health plan. I can't see how this applies to those presently in the union health plan. Ups gives the teamsters a set amount per month, lets say $1200, for the teamsters to supply the insurance.

realbrown1

From what I gather, and cannot find much info on, is that those that will be affected by 30/60/90 are only those in the ups health plan. I can't see how this applies to those presently in the union health plan. Ups gives the teamsters a set amount per month, lets say $1200, for the teamsters to supply the insurance.
The teamster press release said that UPS has proposed that the union take over administering our health coverage, but on the amended press release it said that the 30/60/90 payments was still on the table.
I take that to mean that UPS wants the teamsters to run our health care and wants us to pay 30/60/90.
It really doesn't make alot of sense to me. I think something does not feel right about this.

DOK

I agree something doesn't seem right as our supplement is said to have a handshake agreement and that is where the dollar figures for healthcare and pension contributions are hammered out.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The teamster press release said that UPS has proposed that the union take over administering our health coverage, but on the amended press release it said that the 30/60/90 payments was still on the table.
I take that to mean that UPS wants the teamsters to run our health care and wants us to pay 30/60/90.
It really doesn't make alot of sense to me. I think something does not feel right about this.

As I pointed out in the "other" insurance thread, the first press release by the Teamsters was INACCURATE in reporting. UPS did not withdraw its request for employees to pay for health coverage, and instead, merely ACCEPTED the UNIONS proposal to take over the health care plans to union plans.

THIS WAS THE TEAMSTERS IDEA and NOT the company's.

This is a fundamental difference.

hall and brother Hoffa both said they wouldnt stand for the company's proposal and were willing to strike over it, however, they both found a way to "Weasal" health care into the unions hands.

I dont want nor would I support placing our health care into the hands of the teamsters, as we would lose all control over the plans, and instead, leaving it up to the executive board to make decisions in the future about members paying for coverage.

(changing gears)

Someone mentioned Union dues, and yes, they are currently set at 2 1/2 times the hourly rate of our members, but I believe its TIME to place a CAP on those dues as the dues we pay now are outrageous for the services provided.

"Capping" the dues at 65 dollars for fulltime, and 25 dollars for part time is PLENTY enough money for the teamsters to work with. We as full timers will end up near 93 dollars a month in dues alone at the end of this current contract.

Dues has been a touchy subject over the years, but the monthly rates are TOO HIGH.

IF "WE" have to take cuts in pay ( by raises that dont reflect inflation ) then the UNION should be the first to pony up to the members.

This trade off would both suit the members, the company and negotiations.

Peace

TOS

local705

I just read the pcm release on upsers.com. Here are my thoughts... the company is starting their propaganda about customers leaving us for the competitor. As it was stated above, time will put the pressure on them to pull it off the table. I'm just putting some money aside just in case and not reading too much into whats being said. I also read on this website that some management were selling their stock now knowing if we strike they'll be able to buy it back cheaper. I know a couple of guys in my center that have stock and they can't sell it right now. This would also be true for the top managers with the company. Letting one sell their shares and not the other would have them in hot water with the SEC.

P700slave

What no one has mentioned is the fact that UPS is even trying to get this. If UPS thinks this attempt will not severely strain its employee-employer relationship, they are sadly mistaken. Whether is passes or not, the long term damage is done. Way to go UPS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What no one has mentioned is the fact that UPS is even trying to get this. If UPS thinks this attempt will not severely strain its employee-employer relationship, they are sadly mistaken. Whether is passes or not, the long term damage is done. Way to go UPS.

Geez,
Been living under a rock the last 15 years?

The 1997 strike was when the long-term damage was done.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I just read the pcm release on upsers.com. Here are my thoughts... the company is starting their propaganda about customers leaving us for the competitor. As it was stated above, time will put the pressure on them to pull it off the table. I'm just putting some money aside just in case and not reading too much into whats being said. I also read on this website that some management were selling their stock now knowing if we strike they'll be able to buy it back cheaper. I know a couple of guys in my center that have stock and they can't sell it right now. This would also be true for the top managers with the company. Letting one sell their shares and not the other would have them in hot water with the SEC.

Actually this is a derivative of SEC regulations until the area of Insider Information.

Anyone who cannot trade is in the trading window established under the guidance of the SEC.
They are considered to have relevant information that would give them insight to the financial records, production numbers, new initiatives, etc.

wkmac

Geez,
Been living under a rock the last 15 years?

The 1997 strike was when the long-term damage was done.

True and now it appears Glenlake is doing the same to it's baseline management team too.

As to the 30/60/90 proposal, it's going to be there in one form or another. When the federal healthcare plan (some call ObamaCare) went into effect, this required employee insurance plans to now cover employee children to age 26 regardless of school status and to my own surprise even if they did not live at home. For the last couple of years UPS has been carrying that cost and it didn't take a rocket scientist IMO to see this coming on the next contract. Thus here we are. UPS "may" take it off the table but only to shift it elsewhere buried in the details. It might even come in the form of more production demands or far deeper latitude with Telematics information.

If given a choice of having out front and in the open where I can see it verses where I can't and thus you never know when it will hit you, I'd rather have it out in the open. If the union can do something about this, so be it, good job but after 32 years of watching these circus performances, I'm just not convinced they will and to much other stuff got buried by the details and at the end of the day was still there anyway.

jmo

grinandbearit

If thats the case bend over boys and gals. Your insurance isnt going to be as good as it used to be unless your willing to pay for it. I hope everyone realizes this. X amount of $ can only go so far. So your telling me union employees who have been with UPS 10+ yrs should suffer so NEW HIRES get insurance right away when hired?

Oh you mean like the gov taxing the rich, middle class to give to the poor and federal and state employees! Hmmmm hows that working out.

Last edited: