UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

S

speeddemon

Its funny how when the drivers say the company doesnt give a rats ass about us, no on will listen. But when they start laying off TSG employees and such, its all true? Your preaching to the choir. Welcome to our world.

tieguy

Banned
Anyone working anywhere hopefully has enough sense to realize that companies add and eliminate jobs as they see fit.UPS has done quite a bit less eliminating then many other comparable companies. At this point though it appears that UPS is making a sincere effort to move TSG people in my district into other jobs. Why would they try to move people into other jobs if they do not at least care some about our people?

Now one trickpony this is probably what you would call a suger coated post. To rebut it though I think you should :

a) tell me why we should keep 400 jobs if we don't believe we need them.

b) rebut the effort the company is making to move affected tsg employees into other jobs.

c) tell me why you think UPS is as bad as the gm , fords , Ibm's who often have job purges of 10, 20 30,0000 or more in one swoop.

Once you make this rebuttal then this message board is no longer a lollipop board. It then becomes a board where you actually have to stand on your two feet and make convincing arguments for or against your opinion about this company.

tieguy

Banned
speeddemon said:
Its funny how when the drivers say the company doesnt give a rats ass about us, no on will listen. But when they start laying off TSG employees and such, its all true? Your preaching to the choir. Welcome to our world.

I'm a little confused Speed demon? How many drivers at UPS have you seen get laid off permanently?

A

Anonymous Coward

1-888-ups-tech said:
All eight of our help desks are being outsourced to a company in Las Vegas. When you call you will get someone that probably won't speak English and will not know that much about a UPS Center. Heck, they probably will have never set foot in a UPS Building. Good move Mike Eskew. You talk about how technology is the key to the company's success, but you will send technicians with 10+ years of UPS experience packing. Good luck. FedEX stock is about $30 higher than UPS now and I can see that gap getting larger.

The Las vegas center is actually a UPS facility with UPSers doing the job.

trickpony1

Tie,
I knew I could count on you.

A) these 400 jobs that you speak of......I guess the wind changed directions one morning and the Gods decided that the TSG people would be the next sacrifical lamb. Who will perform this work when the TSG are gone?......oops, I forgot....there are plenty of reliable people in Malaysia, Sri Lanka and India who are more than qualified. Think of the money the company will save. So much for loyalty.

B) If the company is making an effort to move TSG into other jobs then it is a token effort designed to appease the public and the unemployment commission because the previous TSG apparently affected by this said the company is not moving any TSG anywhere. I based my opinion upon their statement, just like you base your opinion upon info you receive.

C) the ibm's, ford's and gm's that you speak of all produce a product subject to the public whims. The majority of the aforementioned have all farmed out their production jobs to the fine people overseas as well as foreign manufacturers (automakers) undercutting their American rivals. Our company provides a service. The TSG was/is indirectly a part of that service......they just don't wear a brown uniform, drive a shiny brown vehicle and smile alot.

At what point will the Gods decide that the company has too many managerial people? Think of the money the company could save by getting rid of some of the worthless managers that are nothing more than figureheads or tokens for the Gods to sacrifice when something really big goes wrong.

Before you critique my feeder driving skill, loyalty, production etc. please be aware that I am a darned good feeder driver and have never been talked to about my production. The company wishes they had 80 more just like me.

Your turn.......

trick,
a) The wind didn't change directions. Technology changed the rules. There is not a need for as many people to do the work. UPS either pays people to be unproductive or lays them off. Nothing has been farmed out to another country - that argument is weak.
b) Why would any company worry about appeasing the unemployment commision? You pay your taxes and fees and our government does the rest. UPS does not have the authority to grant or deny unemployment.
c) Isn't the service UPS provides subject to public whims? If it wasn't, how would non-union FedEx and foreign owned DHL be undercutting UPS?

The company has reviewed management staffing and offered packages to reduce management ranks in the past. I am sure you are a fine employee, but why must you attack all management as worthless? Without the management team you wouldn't have a scheduled run, volume to move or a paycheck each week.

tieguy

Banned
A) these 400 jobs that you speak of......I guess the wind changed directions one morning and the Gods decided that the TSG people would be the next sacrifical lamb. Who will perform this work when the TSG are gone?......oops, I forgot....there are plenty of reliable people in Malaysia, Sri Lanka and India who are more than qualified. Think of the money the company will save. So much for loyalty.

See here's the point I give you actual information on what is going on in the real world that I see and you make something up about our using Sri Lanka. Factually your information is closer to make believe lollipops then mine.

B) If the company is making an effort to move TSG into other jobs then it is a token effort designed to appease the public and the unemployment commission because the previous TSG apparently affected by this said the company is not moving any TSG anywhere. I based my opinion upon their statement, just like you base your opinion upon info you receive.

I base my opinion on actual TSG employees that have already been moved into real jobs. You are basing your information on an anonymous poster who so far has posted highly inaccurate information that makes me wonder if he actually paid attention. Again my information is based on real things I am seeing while yours is based on lollipops.

C) the ibm's, ford's and gm's that you speak of all produce a product subject to the public whims. The majority of the aforementioned have all farmed out their production jobs to the fine people overseas as well as foreign manufacturers (automakers) undercutting their American rivals. Our company provides a service. The TSG was/is indirectly a part of that service......they just don't wear a brown uniform, drive a shiny brown vehicle and smile alot.

You're kidding right? This country has gone through numerous recessions. When the whim of the public is to not buy big things its usually not buying smaller things, both affect the business you and I are in and it ain't public relations. Do your really work for UPS?

At what point will the Gods decide that the company has too many managerial people? Think of the money the company could save by getting rid of some of the worthless managers that are nothing more than figureheads or tokens for the Gods to sacrifice when something really big goes wrong.

I would imagine your boss is on the list if he does not get rid of your cancer soon.

Before you critique my feeder driving skill, loyalty, production etc. please be aware that I am a darned good feeder driver and have never been talked to about my production. The company wishes they had 80 more just like me.

Your attitude sucks. You live off of anonymous posted fantasy because it suits your hate fantasy. I don't believe you can be a good feeder driver with such a crappy attitude.

tieguy

Banned
Anonymous Coward said:
The Las vegas center is actually a UPS facility with UPSers doing the job.

Trick pony another point to enhance my point about highly innacurate information being posted on this issue. Las vegas is ups and the last time I checked they do speak english in Las Vegas. Don't let yourself be a sucker to this type of misinformation just because you want to hate ups so much.

trickpony1

I don't hate the company and, in fact, the feeder management team we have now is the best it's ever been. I'm afraid it won't last as the higher up people will decide that we can't be happy and productive also.

Sometime ago a poster mentioned that the company doesn't hire angry, hateful and bitter people....they become that way after having been here a while. What a thought!

For your better understanding try this:
go to the local animal shelter and find a cute, lovable, energetic puppy. Develop a completely random schedule in which you beat, kick or otherwise abuse the puppy for no reason and, sometimes, for reason. You are in complete control of that puppy. The puppy is captive, it can't leave or it will lose it's retirement. Never reward the puppy because you know the puppy can always do better.
As the puppy matures you may see that it shys away from not only you but others that resemble you (I believe it's called "association"). Occasionally take the puppy out and leave it by the side of the highway, almost as if it was being laid-off or it's job was eliminated, if not for real but just to teach it a lesson. Perhaps this simple analogy will help you understand the situation that you will never find yourself in as you are protected by the system that perpetuates itself.

I don't know if the name Winston Churchill rings a bell with you but he supposedly said, to the effect, "those who forget the past are destined to repeat it". So apparently it's not just my twisted mind.

Your turn........

tieguy

Banned
Not true the company does hire people some who are more likely to believe the company is out to screw them over every chance they get.Some who want to believe all the negativity they can to feed their own insecurities or their own negative outlook on life.

Over

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
trickpony1 said:
go to the local animal shelter and find a cute, lovable, energetic puppy. Develop a completely random schedule in which you beat, kick or otherwise abuse the puppy for no reason and, sometimes, for reason. You are in complete control of that puppy. The puppy is captive, it can't leave or it will lose it's retirement. Never reward the puppy because you know the puppy can always do better.
As the puppy matures you may see that it shys away from not only you but others that resemble you (I believe it's called "association"). Occasionally take the puppy out and leave it by the side of the highway, almost as if it was being laid-off or it's job was eliminated, if not for real but just to teach it a lesson. Perhaps this simple analogy will help you understand the situation that you will never find yourself in as you are protected by the system that perpetuates itself.

Well said Trick!:yes:

greyghost88

I have been a TSG supervisor for 13 years now and I am totally shocked at what we are doing. I supervise 14 Technicians that cover 15 centers, a gateway, and a hub, and each Technician had plenty of work to do everyday during normal operating conditions and in my area I will be forced to reduce my staff by either 1 full time or 2 part time Techs. We were told to reduce our workforce by 7 in my district.

I will have 3 centers that will go live on PAS this year and even if I just lose 1 tech it will be difficult to implement and support in an efficient manner. Of course I have no idea what will happen when the next hurricane comes rolling in. I rely on the Technicians to help with securing the computers before evacuating.

I do not agree with the rationale given from the corporate memo..we are becoming more automated so therefore we need to reduce our technical workforce... Who is responsible for supporting and implementing all of the automated systems? Every time we implement PAS we are adding no less than 15 computers that someone will be required to support.

I think that this is a bad decision, but it just goes to show our current mindset.

I have always told my techs that we are just like pilots, you don't realize how important they are until something goes wrong.

Of course, when PMT hit we all new something was about to happen.

tieguy

Banned
I don't hate the company and, in fact, the feeder management team we have now is the best it's ever been. I'm afraid it won't last as the higher up people will decide that we can't be happy and productive also.

Trick you really need to reevaluate. Your posts drip with hate.

Sometime ago a poster mentioned that the company doesn't hire angry, hateful and bitter people....they become that way after having been here a while. What a thought!

I don't know if the name Winston Churchill rings a bell with you but he supposedly said, to the effect, "those who forget the past are destined to repeat it". So apparently it's not just my twisted mind.

Really? You are comparing abusing an animal to a job where you make 27 bucks an hour probably get six or more weeks of time paid off each year? Excellent benefits , excellent retirement? Trick k buddy I don't know any other way to tell you this but you are screwed up mentally. Go out and do some charity work. You are part of the privileged few that has a job as good as yours. To somehow try to compare this job to abusing an animal shows me you have some type of predisposition for hating the company. Your company didn't abuse you they put you up in a penthouse and fed you steak your whole life.

UPSBOI

You don't want to know!
tieguy said:
Really? You are comparing abusing an animal to a job where you make 27 bucks an hour probably get six or more weeks of time paid off each year? Excellent benefits , excellent retirement? Trick k buddy I don't know any other way to tell you this but you are screwed up mentally. Go out and do some charity work. You are part of the privileged few that has a job as good as yours. To somehow try to compare this job to abusing an animal shows me you have some type of predisposition for hating the company. Your company didn't abuse you they put you up in a penthouse and fed you steak your whole life.

Tie why aren't you still driving?

Hangingon

That slanted view of reality does you a disservice Tie. Living in the Penthouse? You really want to try to defend that argument?

tieguy

Banned
Hangingon said:
That slanted view of reality does you a disservice Tie. Living in the Penthouse? You really want to try to defend that argument?

Its easy to defend. Go out in the real world and see how the other 90 percent lives. In his analogy of the puppy in the dog pound the other 90 percent of the dogs in that dog pound have had it a hell of a lot worse then this dog. So yes the puppy ups pulls out of the pound live in a penthouse and eat steak.

C

coldcoldworld

I really dont have much to say about the layed off employees, if ups will let them relocate within the company which some of you are saying on here then thats a start. If this company wants to start saving money, they need to start looking in other directions. As most of you know, ups has never lived "high on the hog" when it comes to hourly employees. They hired just what is needed. Some ofyou may say that they hire more supervisors than what is needed...well, thats ups's decision. It seems that the company could save MILLIONS a year on the following, retention of part-time employees, and injuries and auto accidents. Also the retention of small ups customers. Many of the injuries that happen in our center are because of rushing, and poor work methods....much of which is based on PRODUCTION. I will be the first to tell anyone of you that production is an importantpart of this job, no doubt about it but some within thids company go overboard. I had a ride along with a on road sup who told me that he wonders how the "higher-ups" expect drivers to get done with the heavy kinds of workloads drivers are getting and to follow all of the methods at the same time. He said its almost impossible and injuries are a big part of this....this was managenent talking. I have a small home based shipper who ships flat rate boxes with the postal service 30-40 a day. I go there to pick up 3-5 ups packages. He WANTS to ship everything by us. He even told the customer rep that he knows ups cant beat the usps flat rate box rate but could ups get Reletively close. It was a matter of him shipping almost all of his packages to residential addresses. It would take my almost no time at all to load everything. ups says that they need to grow the residential side of the business, but do nothing about it. I wonder how much of this pressure thats directed to drivers and "local "managenent is because of the stock situation??I knopw we spend lots on retention of part timers....why isnt this a priority. They try to keep an eye out for safety, especially when they have a heavy injury month, why cant they focus year around on it. WHY CANT MANAGEMENT COME TO HOURLY EMPLOYEES AND GET THEIR INPUT INTO HOW TO GROW THE BUSINESS. Some may say thats what the eri survey is for, but that doesnt mean jack. Any other suggestions on cost cutting, or to continue on what I just stated.

A

Anonymous Coward

Technician is not limited to TSG. Technician is a grade 10 position. All grade 10s are "technicians". There are technicians in other departments like security, accounting, oerations, IE.... Am I right???? The memo I saw did'nt mention TSG specifically.