UPS new pickup method.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I had a ups'er tell me a few months ago that he goes to a resi. del. and the screen had some weird symbol next to the stop. He is delivering a vacuum. He opens the del. on the screen and it specifically tells him to open the pkg. replace the new vacuum with the old one, tape it up, print out a label and take it as a return.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a ups'er tell me a few months ago that he goes to a resi. del. and the screen had some weird symbol next to the stop. He is delivering a vacuum. He opens the del. on the screen and it specifically tells him to open the pkg. replace the new vacuum with the old one, tape it up, print out a label and take it as a return.

Merchandise exchange.

Takes less than 5 minutes.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
He is delivering a vacuum. He opens the del. on the screen and it specifically tells him to open the pkg. replace the new vacuum with the old one, tape it up, print out a label and take it as a return.
Does he have to empty the bag too?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First you are talking about a small shipper that ships occasionally, any shipper of size has a scheduled pickup and any customer of real size has trailers in their docks. But I believe your Fedex.com location, "for small shippers", indeed has the ability to schedule a pickup the same time they create a label, has had it for years.

We have this option as well but that is not the same as a Smart Pickup.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I have for years always avoided any product or service that includes the word 'smart' in the name......Smart Lease, Smart Car, Smart Choice, etc., as they usually turn out to be anything but (for the consumer at least).

Not saying that's the case with Smart Pickup cuz I know nothing about it. Just saying the name holds a negative connotation for me - like I'm being patronized or some such thing....much like #fedexpride or being addressed as "team member".

It's just one of those things....

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I am amazed at the customers who refuse to do this, insisting they like having a daily pickup even though their volume doesn't warrant one. I've tried with numerous pickups like this, explaining it would save them money, to no avail.
Smart pick up ? Enlighten me , I can't say I've heard of that or maybe I have. Thanks.

barnyard

KTM rider
Smart pick up ? Enlighten me , I can't say I've heard of that or maybe I have. Thanks.

I covered a route last week that has 4 pick ups, 3 of them smart pick ups. The shipper has until 1 hour before the scheduled PU to print a label, if they do not, the pick up is cancelled. 1 of the pick ups had nothing all week, 5 mile round trip down a dead end road, saved me and the company time and miles.

If you look at your pick up list, there is a ? mark next to a smart pick up if a label has not been printed. 1 of the shippers has a day job and does the packing and all that in the evening, if there is a ? mark in the morning, they won't have anything that day.

I covered a route last week that has 4 pick ups, 3 of them smart pick ups. The shipper has until 1 hour before the scheduled PU to print a label, if they do not, the pick up is cancelled. 1 of the pick ups had nothing all week, 5 mile round trip down a dead end road, saved me and the company time and miles.

If you look at your pick up list, there is a ? mark next to a smart pick up if a label has not been printed. 1 of the shippers has a day job and does the packing and all that in the evening, if there is a ? mark in the morning, they won't have anything that day.
The ? mark In the morning,does change sometimes.