UPS Pilot, what would you like to know?

FlyByNight757

Is there such thing as part-time pilot? If there is, can that person moonlighting jobs at passenger airlines?

We have our resident PT carwash here. Do you have PT airplane-wash?
No part-time pilots at UPS, but there are part-time pilot jobs available. Some of our recently retired pilots have done this. Examples include corporate, fire bombers, some have even gone to the regional airlines since they are always needing new pilots these days.

FlyByNight757

What is your favorite and worst airports to fly in and out of??? This is fun…we don’t usually get to ask all these cool questions…thanks for sharing!
Favorite - probably Orange County California (KSNA). It's a short run way and you're flying into southern California which is always busy. I've seen B-17s flying around there since many of the planes in tv shows and movies are kept there. Worst one - can't think of one. The interesting thing about flying to our airports is that the situation can change in a few hours, from nice weather to a snowstorm, so it's never the same thing twice.

anonymous23456

When you are at far away airports waiting for returning trip, do you have time to tour around? I am wondering about the same thing for commercial airline pilots.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Favorite - probably Orange County California (KSNA). It's a short run way and you're flying into southern California which is always busy. I've seen B-17s flying around there since many of the planes in tv shows and movies are kept there. Worst one - can't think of one. The interesting thing about flying to our airports is that the situation can change in a few hours, from nice weather to a snowstorm, so it's never the same thing twice.
If you don’t mind me asking how old are you??? Do you have many pilots under the age of 30???

FlyByNight757

Do they hand out warning letters to you guys??? I had a pilot on my old route who was friends with a ups pilot and he said his friend was always bitching about how they were treated by mgt…if true sounds very similar to package and us feeder drivers.
No not really. They will ask us why we're late, if it's due to us, but they don't bother too much with the flying stuff. It's the stuff on the ground, like calling in sick, or making it difficult to adjust your schedule etc.

FlyByNight757

Of course, Worldport is the best...you dunderhead!

When you are at far away airports waiting for returning trip, do you have time to tour around? I am wondering about the same thing for commercial airline pilots.
Yes depends on how long our layover is. We have pilots who have visited the Taj Mahal in India, or Normandy in France. Domestically, when we have some longer layovers we can go out and sightsee, but often our layovers in the USA are around 12 hours or so.

anonymous23456

For former military pilots, are they from Air Transport Command or can be Air Combat Command? Flying a bus must be very different than flying fighter jet.