UPS Supports Right to Work (for less)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by arice11, Aug 21, 2015.

1. arice11

arice11 Active Member

A Local Teamster newspaper mentions UPS in an article titled "Tell UPS to pink slip ALEC, members urged"
    The fascinating facts in this report that 40,00 members are being "Urged by the International Union to tell UPS to stop supporting ALEC (The American Legislative Exchange Council)
    My own home state has these bills in the legislature and more are listed.
    According to the article ALEC has been exposed and the heat is on for corporations like Pepsi, Kraft, Mc Donald's and so on.
    The shocking part of this bewildering but not surprising story is that Blue Cross and Blue Shield (the health providers for my contract) are abandoning ALEC, while thousands of teamsters are pushing UPS to leave behind a sinking ship that supports Right to Work (for less) *or more if the minimum wage issue ensues...but I digress.
    What is going to happen when my health provider separates from my source of income?
    Could we see a change in the actual operations within out buildings because of this unlikely alliance UPS apparently is holding onto an already shamed name?

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Like all of your posts.......

Huh?

3. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

Would somebody mention what happened with the 1982 contract when a lot of people didn't bother to vote??? Like all the others.......

4. arice11

arice11 Active Member

What happened when they didn't vote?

5. scratch

The part timers who outnumbered the full timers got stuck at $8 an hour after that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. And they enjoyed no wage increases for 2 decades,while ours doubled.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. arice11

arice11 Active Member

Twenty years of no wage increase?
    How did it end up swinging back? My contract includes raises here and there.

8. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Starting pay has not increased

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. They always gave more to the full timers because we vote. When I started $8 wasn't bad money. 30 years later its only $10

10. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

Yes it has. Preloaders started at $8.50 last contract and start at $11 now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

$10

And they lost their 90 day $1 an hour raises. So after 3 months they get 50 cents more. Wow

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. arice11

arice11 Active Member

So its 10.50 after three months?
    My contract included a dollar raise after 90 days. I guess that's all phased out now.

13. scratch

I was part time in 1982, I think I was making $12-13 an hour. It was a very bad contract.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

I think I was making $14 and change as a PT preloader in 1982. Same rate as FT drivers.

15. Box Ox

Look at Article 22, Section 5 in the National Master. Page 69. $11 start and $11.50 at one year.

• List
  16. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

Three dollars in twenty years. Wow how generous

17. Box Ox

Didn't say it was generous. Just said it's increased. I suffered under it too.

18. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Guest

$3.00 in twenty years is the same as no increase

19. scratch

I was probably making $14 an hour then. I still have some paycheck stubs from the seventies where they didn't put the complete date on them. They left the last number of the year off for some reason. Back then most of the part timers were high school and college students, they weren't planning on staying at UPS for a career.

20. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Yeah, UPS wanted college students that would work a couple of years then leave. The union also liked it for the extra initiation fees from the turnover.