UPS to cut sorting shifts in New York, Rhode Island and Virginia

HarryWarden

I found from years as a steward that most members were too chicken :censored2: to file a grievance.
I think a big problem with it is when the big carrot being dangled in front of you is driving, and it takes years to get there, and management are the ones that have to “pass” you to be able to drive, people get scared of getting on the wrong side of management

Another is a lot of part timers have multiple jobs or going to school or just their for the benefits, so if anything they see supevisors working as just helping them out, and they don’t mind it, they want to get out earlier and not be swamped

Supervisors are also extremely good at manipulating workers. A lot of them are lying two faced bastards

Not saying any of this is right or excusable, just how it is. Workers are going to have to start fighting back though eventually.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I think a big problem with it is when the big carrot being dangled in front of you is driving, and it takes years to get there, and management are the ones that have to “pass” you to be able to drive, people get scared of getting on the wrong side of management

Another is a lot of part timers have multiple jobs or going to school or just their for the benefits, so if anything they see supevisors working as just helping them out, and they don’t mind it, they want to get out earlier and not be swamped

Supervisors are also extremely good at manipulating workers. A lot of them are lying two faced bastards

Not saying any of this is right or excusable, just how it is. Workers are going to have to start fighting back though eventually.
Thanks Karl.

10:30 resi

When they close Baltimore day, for example, how many more people will work in Burtonsville a half hour away? I don't know, but I do know the newspapers and even the people working in Burtonsville wouldnt really notice if the building hired 100 more people, and the news wouldn't go out in a WARN act letter.
I heard that some feeders from Baltimore got dovetailed into the seniority list in Burtonsville this week. Guy that told me wasn't happy that people from a different local were bumping him down the list.

ManInBrown

I found from years as a steward that most members were too chicken :censored2: to file a grievance.
Yup, I saw guys in package who opted onto 9.5 and then were terrified to file when they were violated. I tried to explain to them that’s the biggest mistake you could ever make. If thats what you were going to do, don’t go on 9.5, they know you’re a scaredy cat when you don’t file the grievance and now they will ride you to the moon because they know you won’t do jack 💩 every single chance I get I file grievances. You have to keep them on their toes. Even in feeders I still file against my direct management team. Just filed a grievance this week against an on road.

If they are in a different local how can I just jump in if there work wasn't moved to that local?
I don't know, doesn't make sense to me. I don't work in that building or department. Their BA was on vacation this week and it sounds like he didn't know these people were coming til members called him that it happened. Im told the local filed a grievance so I guess they think something was done wrong.

ManInBrown

If they are in a different local how can I just jump in if there work wasn't moved to that local?
Exactly. You cant just show up one day to a new local and start working. If that’s the case I want a transfer. Even if your work was moved there I don’t think you can. Are they just making up rules on the fly?

We have a feeder satellite building in my local that is pretty far from every other building. About 100 package routes out of there as well. There’s a rumor about closing it and moving the work to the next closest building which is an entirely different local. Different pension, different everything. There’s no scenario where the drivers from the affected building could follow the work. It wouldn’t happen.

We’ve also had package routes moved to a different building, same local. The drivers had the option to follow their work.

Last edited:

Different local? So they got switched to a different pension plan? That’s laughable, you can’t do that.
Screenshot_20240310-125334~2.png

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Westmont, IL center (WESIL 6051) will be closed. Besides the RPCDs & PTs, I'm told there are 6 22.3s and 1 FT air driver there. No other details yet. (The village of Westmont had been pressuring the company to leave for quite some time)