Very very Disappointed why is the UPS package delivery driver starting pay so low

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm reading this thread and wondering why everyone is biting this guys head off. He asked a simple question. ..........Not sure what top rate is in Canada. Our friend DS will be able to answer that.

Brownmonster is truly a man of great wisdom.

D

Dis-organized Labor

I'm reading this thread and wondering why everyone is biting this guys head off. He asked a simple question. Yes the starting pay is low. In the States we start at $16 or so which is a little more than half of full driver pay. It takes 3 years to reach top pay. Not sure what top rate is in Canada. Our friend DS will be able to answer that.

WELL, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT GO AND READ SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!

Just kidding, I was wondering the same thing and was tempted to offer some advice, like don't make matters worse by arguing back. I have posted a few times the same observation. That, and jumping to conclusions that a couple of words within a paragraph are focussed upon and the spin starts that the Poster is saying something that he was not. I believe it had something to do with some comments made by UPSSALESGUY.

A UPS Job Advertisement came up on a job site here in Kingston Ont Canada ..
$12.25 Hourly for 40 hours per week, As per collective agreement, Medical Benefits, Dental Benefits, Life Insurance Benefits, Pension Plan Benefits, RRSP Benefits, Vision Care Benefits... wow why is the starting pay so low ? do they give a fairly good raise within a time span...I google searched ups starting drive wages and most came up way more then 12.25 and hour .. whats going on?

You don`t have a long lost brother named Klein do you?

Re-Raise

A UPS Job Advertisement came up on a job site here in Kingston Ont Canada ..
$12.25 Hourly for 40 hours per week

Wow 40 hrs per week !!! That sounds great. I 'll be home in time for all my kid's games. This UPS place must really care about me balancing my job and my family responsibilities.

I'll bet my lunch hour will really be relaxing too.

Where do I sign up?

satellitedriver

ok guys settle down I'm just wonderin just asking I DON'T work at ups just saw a job AD and wondered why the starting pay was low for a big company like ups ... as you say here "it is was it is"
Jeb,
It is that way for the simple fact that a majority of new hires do not last. When I was hired in 1986 the national average longevity of a UPS driver was 3 years. In my first 9 years I saw over 100 new hire drivers come and go in a small center , yet the core group of the old time drivers are still working.
UPS is definitely not for everyone.
Think of it as a "vetting" process where the employee's are the one's that "weeds" themselves out.
The staring pay is just the starting gun in a marathon race.

SWORDFISH

Jeb, UPS starts at $9/hr in the western US and its only part time. Rarely do they hire anyone straight into driving w/ no UPS experiece. I havnt seen it in 12 years. When we do make driver I dont think anyone one ever sees 40hrs. The higher senior drivers like me see 45-55hr per week and the low guys get laid off alot these days wich means you will work monday and friday and the other 3 days you never know. As a driver we start at $14.60 and work on a scale that tops out after 3yrs and its sigficantly higher than that. So if theres any worry about the starting wage its probably on a progression scale that you should check out if interested. Hope I gave you some usefull info.

jebj55

Jeb, UPS starts at $9/hr in the western US and its only part time. Rarely do they hire anyone straight into driving w/ no UPS experiece. I havnt seen it in 12 years. When we do make driver I dont think anyone one ever sees 40hrs. The higher senior drivers like me see 45-55hr per week and the low guys get laid off alot these days wich means you will work monday and friday and the other 3 days you never know. As a driver we start at $14.60 and work on a scale that tops out after 3yrs and its sigficantly higher than that. So if theres any worry about the starting wage its probably on a progression scale that you should check out if interested. Hope I gave you some usefull info.
yes you did thank you

DS

Fenderbender
I wonder that too, why so low as a driver? Is UPS in Canada unionized?
We are teamsters up here just like you.
Jeb, the starting pay is low in Ontario and it takes 2 1/2 yrs to reach top rate which currently is around $24.50.
Out west in Calgary and Edmonton where wages are higher,you can go full time at ups off the street,and I believe they start at around $18.00 .
Like satellitedriver said,this job is not for everyone,they expect a lot from each and every driver.You do have options though,you can be promoted to management if thats your cup of tea,or go from package into feeders,(tractor trailers) I disagree when you say benefits are not an issue,we get $1,500 a year in dental and a break on eyeglasses for each family member and covers most medicines that your doctor may prescribe.You make it sound like OHIP covers everything,and that is far from the truth.

jebj55

Jeb,
It is that way for the simple fact that a majority of new hires do not last. When I was hired in 1986 the national average longevity of a UPS driver was 3 years. In my first 9 years I saw over 100 new hire drivers come and go in a small center , yet the core group of the old time drivers are still working.
UPS is definitely not for everyone.
Think of it as a "vetting" process where the employee's are the one's that "weeds" themselves out.
The staring pay is just the starting gun in a marathon race.
thanks

jebj55

We are teamsters up here just like you.
Jeb, the starting pay is low in Ontario and it takes 2 1/2 yrs to reach top rate which currently is around $24.50.
Out west in Calgary and Edmonton where wages are higher,you can go full time at ups off the street,and I believe they start at around $18.00 .
Like satellitedriver said,this job is not for everyone,they expect a lot from each and every driver.You do have options though,you can be promoted to management if thats your cup of tea,or go from package into feeders,(tractor trailers) I disagree when you say benefits are not an issue,we get $1,500 a year in dental and a break on eyeglasses for each family member and covers most medicines that your doctor may prescribe.You make it sound like OHIP covers everything,and that is far from the truth.
HAHAHA your right I did make it sound like OHIP covers everything :happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
You could always go work at McDonald's. It i what it is. If you don't like it go work somewhere else with no benifits, job security, ETC. Most of the drivers started on the local sort or preload making alot less just to have the chance to be a driver.

They have a pay progression like most companys do. However most companys Top pay is $14 hr.

THE NUMBER 1 REASON IS BECAUSE THERE IS A CONTRACT BETWEEN THE UNION AND UPS THAT LAYS OUT THE PAY RATES.
You mean the MINIMUM pay rates!

OP, in the US its $16.10 an hour to start driving package car and you top out in 3 years. At the end of this contract package car drivers will be at $32.20 an hour, for the most part, some areas might ne a little more or less.

jebj55

You mean the MINIMUM pay rates!

OP, in the US its $16.10 an hour to start driving package car and you top out in 3 years. At the end of this contract package car drivers will be at $32.20 an hour, for the most part, some areas might ne a little more or less.
sweet

spif91

well i'm making 15.25 driving now where i am i just don't understand how ups can get away with 12.25 an hour even with beifits . benifits mean nothing to me here in canada where heath care is more or less free

That's what obama is trying to do here. I can't wait for the free health care. LOL

overallowed

When I started, starting wage was $9.42 per hr. They arent going to show you the money till you show 'em what you've got. Like satellitdriver implied, it kind of seperates the men from the boys. It's not for everybody.