Visable tattoos

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
All drivers in my location who were hired after about 2004 signed a form that stated visible tats are not allowed. Drivers hired prior to that time are "grandfathered" in and are not required to cover their tats.

I can agree with the argument that the company has the right to impose reasonable appearance standards, but those standards cannot be arbitrary or retroactive.

RAZZ1984

san antonio texas.....driver with tats on arms and legs wears long pants and long sleeve shirts every day of the year! Last 40 days, we have had 35 days over 100 degrees.

union4life

Life is all about choices
You can say that again. We had a young guy quit when he tried to go from PT to FT and mgt said he had to wear long sleeves and lond pants. I couldn't believe it. He was young (maybe 22 years old) and had a wife with child on the way. I think of the decision he made that day all the time. I hope things worked out for him.

krash

Go big orange
There was a time we didn't have shorts, remember? Also had someone in-house who washed our uniform(pants only) and you weren't allowed to where your pants out. The reason was (one of them anyway) if you stopped for a beer on the way home they wouldn't recognize you were a UPSer. LOL, but you could wear your shirts with the UPS logo on it.
Now I have one on my arm and keep my sleeves rolled up and in all these years they haven't told me to cover it up. Do know of a driver who had the bright idea of getting a sleeve tattoo and was astonished when they told him he had to cover it up.:surprised:

brown_trousers

I usually side with with my fellow coworkers, but I'll have to agree with UPS on this one. It's not an unreasonable requirement to hide tattoos and/or piercings. If it was a requirement when you first took the driving job, then that should have been the red flag telling you to NOT take that driving position, or NOT get tattooed.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I usually side with with my fellow coworkers, but I'll have to agree with UPS on this one. It's not an unreasonable requirement to hide tattoos and/or piercings. If it was a requirement when you first took the driving job, then that should have been the red flag telling you to NOT take that driving position, or NOT get tattooed.

I agree with you 100% that the company has the right to make such policies clear prior to the driver being hired.

The problem we ran into here is when they started telling guys who had been hired 20+ years ago with visible tats on their arms that they now had to start covering them up with long sleeved shirts in the middle of summer.

i think it is prolly a discretionary call made depending on the locale...or maybe some centers or just more lax than others? they made all of our drivers sign a "grandfather clause" so we cant get any new visible tattoos. but we have at least 3 drivers that have existing visible ones and they arent told to cover them up. i have also seen a driver in san antonio with a full uncovered sleeve on his arm delivering to a doctors office. she could just put a sweat band or a sleeve over it, i think pants may be a little excessive

packagemandan

A lady at our center is being forced to wear pants in ninety degree plus weather all for a tattoo on her calf. Is there anyone out there that have run into this at their center? If so, what was the outcome?

In our area so.fl. 100 degrees daily, in back of package car 128 we came to an agreement that any hires currently on road that had tatoos prior to employment are able to wear shorts as long as they weren't offensive, and no new tats were permited. They actualy photographed all employees to document this information.