Weather phone lines are illegal.

hypo hanna

With the bad weather moving into the NE, its a good reminder that these phone lines are illegal. If the company want you to be on an oncall basis, they need to compensate you for your time. Just like the pilots, just lie the mechanics and just like the IT techs.
If your start time is 0600, start at 0600 and don't let them push you into a break while you wait for the freight. Your break is supposed to be in the middle of your shift.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
With the bad weather moving into the NE, its a good reminder that these phone lines are illegal. If the company want you to be on an oncall basis, they need to compensate you for your time. Just like the pilots, just lie the mechanics and just like the IT techs.
If your start time is 0600, start at 0600 and don't let them push you into a break while you wait for the freight. Your break is supposed to be in the middle of your shift.

Correct. I think we need to have a Class Action Lawsuit so FedEx will finally stop this highly illegal practice. It's the only way to stop it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've never heard of them before this forum.

Widely used...highly illegal. Most employees just accept it. They don't need to. Show-up at your regularly scheduled time and sweep floors if you have to. Late freight and CTVs are not your problem. Fred just doesn't want to pay you unless you're making him green. Eff Smith. Sit in your ass and collect the pay while you wait for the freight to get there...not your issue.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Abso-frikkin'-lutely...I used to love getting a phone call at 5 A.M. telling me I "don't need to wake up early today because the flight's late out of MEM".......riiiiiiiight. I let that happen exactly ONCE........Screw 'em

!Retired!

I never heard of the 'snowline', now called 'information line', until I moved out here. Our managers have already told us that even though we should call the line for 'adjustments' in the schedule, we may start at our scheduled time.

Goldilocks

A long time ago, when we were Federal Express, we would come in and clean the floors, our trucks and help with send again's. Guess this phoneline started around 2000. I have always found this to be very illegal. If they call you at 0500am then that should be your start time. No more freebies.

hypo hanna

I never heard of the 'snowline', now called 'information line', until I moved out here. Our managers have already told us that even though we should call the line for 'adjustments' in the schedule, we may start at our scheduled time.
They are trying to CYA while keeping the phone line in effect. ( for the benefit of the new hires I guess). Even if they sucker 10% of the drivers, that's still a savings on the stations budget. Don't call the recording and either don't answer when they call you or give them the royal cursing out they deserve for waking you up to tell you to come in later.

dezguy

I have never heard of this before now. Worst I ever had happen was waiting to bring freight from the ramp back to the station. Flight was late so we stood around, waiting. Got back to sta and had my manager tell me he was putting down for a 30 min break because the plane was late. Being new, I didn't question it. It was the last time that happened once some of the older guys told me he couldn't do that.

SmithBarney

I know "weather lines" are wrong, but I'd like to cite sources when confronting out managers on this issue.
so any legal beagles out there with a link to a specific labor law?

Also is there a "legal" time frame in which they can change your start time? such as putting a note on the
time clock so we see when clocking out that the next days start time has changed?

whenIgetthere

Where I live, they must give you a full 24 hours notice of any schedule changes. Doing so at the belt meeting in the AM doesn't cut, because that is less than 24 hours. We've already been told to start 30 minutes later on Monday, nothing about Friday, though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is what a code 43 is for. A driver goes to bed at a certain time in preparation for his scheduled Start time. Might as well not pay couriers between stops.

Correct...Code 43. Many managers will lie and say this isn't a "valid job code". BS. Any time you spend waiting on a late CTV or aircraft is Code 43 time. I truly believe that this will eventually be another class-action because this procedure is so widely used and abused by this God-forsaken, miserably cheap and dishonest organization.

FedExRookie

Check your State labour code. Here it states you must be given at least 48 hours notice if your shift start or end time has been changed.

Where is "here"? I can't find anything online. I only see that they should and the only way to guarantee it is to put it in your contract when you get hired.

dezguy

Where is "here"? I can't find anything online. I only see that they should and the only way to guarantee it is to put it in your contract when you get hired.

Sorry, I'm not giving up my location. If you need help, contact your local labour office.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Just don't do it, and then watch management' reaction, which will be to allow you to start at your regularly scheduled time. Make sure you use a Code 43 on your timecard, and don't let anyone BS you that it' s an "Invalid Code". It isn't your problem that Fred's planes and CTVs are running late...it's his issue. He just doesn't want to pay you because he's a cheap SOB.

hypo hanna

Any sources other than people just saying it's illegal?
There are some variables from state to state but here is the federal take on it from the US dept of labor http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf

Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depends upon the particular circumstances. Generally, the facts may show that the employee was engaged to wait (which is work time) or the facts may show that the employee was waiting to be engaged (which is not work time). For example, a secretary who reads a book while waiting for dictation or a fireman who plays checkers while waiting for an alarm is working during such periods of inactivity. These employees have been "engaged to wait."

On-Call Time: An employee who is required to remain on call on the employer's premises is working while "on call." An employee who is required to remain on call at home, or who is allowed to leave a message where he/she can be reached, is not working (in most cases) while on call. Additional constraints on the employee's freedom could require this time to be compensated.