Weight Restrictions

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by wtfrunner, Jun 2, 2011.

1. wtfrunner

wtfrunner New Member

Was placed on a 5lb weight restriction for a hernia. Doctor was very upset they made me come into work and clean, take out trash, mop. Can I be forced to come to work with a 5 lb weight restriction?
  2. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

Yes, but with a 5lb restriction there's virtually nothing they can have you do.
  3. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

I will take his job, if he doesn't want it.
  4. wtfrunner

wtfrunner New Member

since i can count paperclips. Will I be forced to work my normal hours? Or could this be adjusted?
  5. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

In the NMA
    Article 14 Section 2. Temporary Alternate Work
  6. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Here you answer the phone for 8 hours on taw, if your injury was on the job. Its not the most exciting way to spend the day, but it usually pays better than comp.
  7. wtfrunner

wtfrunner New Member

Thats wonderful news. I've got my office phone voice ready... Here I come UPS :greedy:
  8. bigblu 2 you

bigblu 2 you Active Member

dont touch anything,make them open doors for you.5 lb restriction means you are needing to heal.i would find a seat and camp out{boring as it may be}.take care of #1 cause #2 doesnt care about #1.
  9. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

Another of my pet peeves. They talk about everyones safety all the time but they'll make a worker get up at 3 in the morning, grab his crutches and sit in break room all shift just so they get no lost time injury. the managers pie chart needs to look good for his bonus. Like that's supose to heal his injury sooner.
  10. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

And then the person who has a minor/milder injury requiring light duty cannot return to work if they filed a claim.
  11. wtfrunner

wtfrunner New Member

so sleeve, if a claim has been filed they still have to come in?

Safety first, unless it costs us money (of course)
  12. Sleeve_meet_Heart

My understanding is that if you hurt yourself on-the-job, and agree not to report it and "work through it light duty", the company will find work for that person. We had one kid who tore his quadracep and continued working "light duty". We had a guy with a hernia who was not given light duty. One was a proven work related injury, the other not so much.

If you hurt yourself and file an injury report with Liberty Mutual and the company has any doubt whatsoever that it was not work-related (and can frame it that way) the company will give you the boot tell you not to come back and to follow up with the co doctor when you are ready to return. So basically go on temp disability.
  13. If you can't go to work, then don't. If you do and are asked to do something that you think is not a good idea, then don't do it. If you jump on board with the other anti-UPS hourlies, you'll reap what you sow.
  14. wtfrunner

wtfrunner New Member

what about filing out the wonderful safety questions?
  15. TearsInRain

TearsInRain part-time bossman

i'd just have you do safety stuff or other mindless paperwork, it'd be a shame not to find some use for you
  16. faded jeans

faded jeans just a member

I thought this was going to be a thread about fat ass drivers. :wink2:
  17. Sleeve_meet_Heart

There is only a low-end for weight restriction in feeders. 200?
  18. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have a FT seniority driver who was recently out of work for 6-8 weeks after having hernia surgery. He was not offered nor would have accepted TAW. He planned ahead by putting away some money each week before the surgery. He also put on at least 10-15 lbs and his yard looked really good by the time he was ready to come back.
  19. timber74wolf

timber74wolf New Member

The copany preaches SAFETY!, but in reality it is not so... atleast where I am at. And Light Duty.... what is that?
  20. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

In Kansas if you refuse the TAW you will be denied any work comp benefits, check your local rider and state laws. Also TAW is only allowed for 30 days, after that your off collecting comp, about a third of normal pay!!