What a difference experience makes as a driver

kerbinator

Reading all these new driver threads has made me recall my first few weeks as a driver last summer (2012). It was the 3rd hottest summer in state history, and every day was nothing less than 11 hours of hell. I was called into the office every morning for weeks. Warning letters - so many warning letters. A pending term, reduced to a 1-day suspension ("Wait a minute, this is punishment?"). The most condescending, unrealistic on-car in the history of managers anywhere. The only thing that kept me from quitting was knowing I'd waited 3 years to do this.

Probably the best thing to happen to me was a driver retiring last november. Nobody wanted his route, so it went to me by default since I was the lowest on the totem pole. I quickly found out why no one wanted it. 200+ stops nearly every day, in the worst truck imaginable. It gave new meaning to "no power steering", and just getting it into gear was a chore. But I was so glad I had one route to focus on and master. I was having a hard enough time with the training routes, I couldn't imagine having to do a new one every week as a cover driver. In the year since then, the a-hole boss is gone, the truck has been replaced with a slightly less-crappy one, and I know my route like the back of my hand. Haven't been called into the office in months. Scratch every day - today I had 210 stops and punched out at 5:15.

I guess if any new drivers are reading this - it gets easier. Slowly but surely, it gets easier. It's never a breeze, but it's far from the daunting hopelessness it was at the start. Comfortably challenging.

J

jibbs

OK---let's say 90-120 days----how does a driver with only 90-120 days on the job get a bid run?

Hell if I know, man, I'm just at the end of a 12-pack and I saw some numbers that weren't quite adding up...

I was half expecting to be wrong and have you respond with something that made me look like an idiot.

We had a guy in my center that got a 4/17/00 seniority date but he qualified in November of that year. They never caught it. It was way past 90 days but who cares because it all worked out.

MDupsernj

My buddy in my center got a route 3 weeks after he made book. Route went up for bid, no one signed it, bang lowest guy gets it. Route does 180 stops on an average day up to 220 on some days.

upschuck

Why would a driver that has enough time in to retire have a route that must have been the worst in the building since nobody would sign the bid. Must have got extra "benefits" on it.

Our center if nobody bids rte, it goes to lowest seniority guy, that never happens though. Have had some guys 7+ yrs of utility drivers.

Why would a driver that has enough time in to retire have a route that must have been the worst in the building since nobody would sign the bid. Must have got extra "benefits" on it.

Our center if nobody bids rte, it goes to lowest seniority guy, that never happens though. Have had some guys 7+ yrs of utility drivers.

Sometimes your on a route, so long..........................................you do not want to learn a new one! I have two young runners that cover my route , while I'm on vacation. they both tell me "your route sucks".they always ask me, why dont you bid another route?...lol

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

We have a really crappy commercial route in my center (well lots of them but this is the worst i've seen) with 2 1/2 hours of heavy pickups. A guy retired on the route a couple years ago. I can't imagine staying on a route like that until retirement. They had me cover it...then learned not to put me on it again the hard way :)

Later start when they rebid it. 10:00

We have a really crappy commercial route in my center (well lots of them but this is the worst i've seen) with 2 1/2 hours of heavy pickups. A guy retired on the route a couple years ago. I can't imagine staying on a route like that until retirement. They had me cover it...then learned not to put me on it again the hard way :)
People become creatures of habit.

upschuck

10 o'clock start time, wow, must not have NDA's. In my center, the older drivers get all the rural routes, more seat time, less feet time. All the heavier routes are the young bucks. I would hate to be an older driver with a heavy, bulky route. More power to you, if that is your lot.

upschuck

Back in the day, when I had a second PC to take out, I got all the LIB's so they wouldn't be LIB's. Pushing the blame to someone else, the UPS way.