What does ORION look like?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We went on it last week, I'm getting back on the Over 9/5 List tomorrow. It only worked well one time in my first five days, and that was only because we had a light dispatch that day. Miles are down a few, overtime is up. I have never seen such a ridiculous way to run my route.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
My EDD is already in a pretty good order as far as mileage goes but I have so many pickups that I have to stop for at a certain time that I could never run it in exact order. I always end up having to come back for residentials. Did they really not think this kind of thing through when they implemented it?
No they do not.

In fact Orion on my route says I should have about 55 stops off by noon, on my best day I can have 38 to 40 and I am flying with no bulk when that happens.

Stopher

Orion is a huge joke. Being in Roswell so close to corporate we were one of the first to get. U can turn it on and off. Sometimes I turn it on just for a good laugh. If they want us to run it that way then it should be loaded in the truck that way. Explain to me how I get to my 6000 shelf when I got a sleep # bed slammed down the middle. It's stupid. U have knuckleheads making decisions that have no business making them. That's the problem m

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My center has yet to adopt ORION and curiosity has gotten the best of me as to what exactly it looks like as far as the DIAD goes. Regardless of all the ORION threads I've read on here and management people I've asked, I still cannot visualize it.

As far as I can understand, is it essentially just an EDD that constantly updates the order of the stops? Are there additional interfaces it adds in the DIAD? Does it map your route like a GPS and tell you exactly where to turn for a stop? Anything you can tell me would be great.
Before I read on I just reply to you. It does not update, except for air.. When you get to 20 minutes before commit time, you bail and just do air. Then it is up to you how to put the puzzle back together, and make miles and % in trace. I absolutely hate it. I would rather get 10 lashes a day, than have to follow it. It is draining. The bright side is I have heard it works for like 2 people. Forget everything you ever knew that made sense. Drive by crap you want to get rid of to go do 2 envelopes at a resi. Good luck be positive, and laugh all the way to the bank. Now I will go look at the rest. Lol

CHALLY9TX

The computer screens in the hub even tell you what time you're supposed to be at your deliveries. Problem is we never leave on time so right off the bat you're behind according to Orion. The Orion team at my center did a poor job mapping out the routes. They missed a lot of one way streets, dead end streets and did a poor job taking in drivers input.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
My center has yet to adopt ORION and curiosity has gotten the best of me as to what exactly it looks like as far as the DIAD goes. Regardless of all the ORION threads I've read on here and management people I've asked, I still cannot visualize it.

As far as I can understand, is it essentially just an EDD that constantly updates the order of the stops? Are there additional interfaces it adds in the DIAD? Does it map your route like a GPS and tell you exactly where to turn for a stop? Anything you can tell me would be great.
1425447345559.jpg

ArcherUTR

I'll take...

What is a mother :censored2:er that I would punch in the face a whole hour and a half after my pickups have already been completed when you jump 4 miles away and run my route backwards?

As a serious celebrity jeopordy answer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My EDD is already in a pretty good order as far as mileage goes but I have so many pickups that I have to stop for at a certain time that I could never run it in exact order. I always end up having to come back for residentials. Did they really not think this kind of thing through when they implemented it?
No, because the people who invented ORION never delivered a package or drove a package car in their lives. They grew up playing Pac Man and assume that blinking dots on a map can all be made to vanish faster if we just followed a shorter trace.

johnny_hotdog

Thanks for posting this question as I was wondering the same thing as we are set to get Orion soon at my center. One thing I don't understand is how people say that orion will have you make a U turn in the middle of the street. Can't you just drive around the block to turn around? Since it is basically just a differnt version of edd couldn't you just jump around stops so that it makes more sense?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thanks for posting this question as I was wondering the same thing as we are set to get Orion soon at my center. One thing I don't understand is how people say that orion will have you make a U turn in the middle of the street. Can't you just drive around the block to turn around? Since it is basically just a differnt version of edd couldn't you just jump around stops so that it makes more sense?
Yes you can jump past stops to make more sense but then you will have to listen to a supervisor whine and cry about your failure to comply with ORION.

ArcherUTR

You will be instructed to not back as this is the UPS way. But ORION's solution is to magically turn around.

Yes, you should just take the block and the rest of the stops on the same block of the street. (and yes, ORION will literally have you deliver to the same block of the street at different times if it saves 50ft.) But working your way back breaks trace, lowering your percentage. But stops on the same street does not.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
We've had Orion since last summer and after 5 Orion rides and at least ten different attempts to find a good solution, it looks worse now then ever before. Not only will it have you deliver two neighboring houses at two entirely different points in your day. It will also break up the same stop into two different stops in the day, and I'm not referring to nda and ground but savers and ground. Funny thing is it will have me deliver the ground first and deliver the saver with my pickups. Yes if the chaos saves ten feet of driving in the day, well then that's all that matters to them. We are told to just run EDD and try to implement Orion principles. That seems to be the best approach to it as far as I can tell. Also one factor that is horse crap is that Orion compliance is 85% or better but mileage can't be more than 5 miles off. Well guys like myself are well over 150 miles a day so it doesn't take much to put me over my miles. The city drivers have it easy on the mile part. Anyhow this has been like being at therapy for me so thank you. Deep breath then exhale....