What is a shop steward vs business agent?

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I have to admit that one sounds like a pimp.
MYODB, smarten up.
IMG_4918.gif

Nah
I have to admit that one sounds like a pimp.
Shop stewards have a special status they abuse to get out of work, and although they're supposed to represent you, they're generally uninterested in doing so. At least that's been my experience.

BAs work directly for the union, and the company can't hold their job over their heads if they fight too hard for you.

Usually you're better off talking directly to your BA than a steward. Not just because of the tepid ambivalence of the so-called stewards, but sometimes when a manager gets an email or phone call from the BA on your behalf, they realize you're not ----ing around and fix your issue faster.

But you know...experiences will vary. That's just what I've dealt with.

542thruNthru

Shop Steward: a person that works for the same company as you that represents members dealing with management. Some pay dues some don't depending on the local bylaws.

Business Agent: a person that works for the local that represents multiple different companies (usually). This person usually handles the things about the stewards pay grade.

There is more to it than that but that's the jist of it.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Shop Steward: a person that works for the same company as you that represents members dealing with management. Some pay dues some don't depending on the local bylaws.

Business Agent: a person that works for the local that represents multiple different companies (usually). This person usually handles the things about the stewards pay grade.

There is more to it than that but that's the jist of it.
Gist.