What Kind of Maps Do You Use?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UpstateNYUPSer;320637 [Relying on your center team to have the proper map and that it is up to date is something that I would rather not bet on. Besides said:
quote]
I dont have ANY problem betting on it. They can either (a) provide me with an up-to-date map or (b) pay me $28.45 an hour to find my way blind. Its a win-win for me either way.I dont want to pay $20 for what I ought to have for free, tax-deductable or not. Any service failures that result from UPS not providing me with a map are simply a business decision on managements part. As far as I am concerned, a map book is like a hand truck, it is a piece of work-related equipment that is UPS's responsibility to provide.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Work harder or work smarter--I guess it is your call!! Me, I like to work smarter, and 1/2 hour of overtime pays for the map.

TSG, I would think that the only way that a portable GPS device would be beneficial is if you kept in on the mode that shows a map and then move the area of the map that is displayed as you progress throughout your day. That is just my opinion and, to be honest, I am not all that familiar with those devices. I have only used one once, when my son, mother-in-law and I were driving to my daughter's college graduation in my MILs car and she had a Garmin. The directions suggested were not the ones that I ultimately chose to use but I also didn't realize that it flashed your speed on the display until the MIL leaned over and asked why I was driving her car 81mph--oops!!

On a side note, is it just me or has anyone else thought that Garmin should add regional dialects/slang to their GPS devices. For example, units sold in Texas would have a cowboy, units in LA would have a Paris Hilton wannabe, and units in NYC would have a foreign cabbie. I also heard that Garmin wanted to sponsor a NASCAR car but the driver refused because during practice runs all he heard was "Turn left, go 200 yards, turn left, go 200 yards, turn left..."

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
My brain has a very advanced GPS system built in ( I was born to drive trucks) However, my brain shuts down quite often so I use the google maps thats installed on my Blackberry.:biting:

dillweed

As far as I'm concerned, it is UPS's responsibility to provide me with a map of whatever area they want me to deliver. We have what is called a "Thomas Guide" map book around here. If I need a map I just borrow one from one of the sups.

At our center we buy maps and turn in the receipt. We are reimbursed 100%. Might be worth checking into.

dillweed

If there are small towns on your route you might try stopping at city hall. They often have very detailed maps of the town.

filthpig

There is a company here in Memphis called "Handy Maps" that has the best map book I've seen. It's about 8 1/2 x 11 and spiral bound with a street index. Very "handy". But like I said, I don't carry one.

upsdude

I don't need a map, BUT! If I'm going into an uncharted area I have the OMS print me a Map Quest page in the morning. If the company is sending me to help someone far far away they really don't care how long it takes, just get it done.

thom1842

"As far as I'm concerned, it is UPS's responsibility to provide me with a map of whatever area they want me to deliver.

That may be all well and good but I know most of the casuals (that is what we call cover drivers in our center) have their own map books and use them to add their own notes or whatever else they would like to make their day on that run that much easier.

Besides, you can deduct the cost of the map as a non-reimbursed job expense on your taxes.

At our gateway, each package car has a map book in it that fits in a slot right behind the DIAD holder.

Like you said I bought my own because as a cover driver I "know" lots of routes (getting to be over 20) and having my own notes and "X"s on the spots helps a ton.

I always deduct the $30 on my taxes!

A

Arty S.

Our center has a Thomas Guide software program you can use to custom print a delivery area. If, for whatever strange reason I have to go to an area I'm unfamiliar with, I print one out before leaving in the morning.

It's much nicer to have an area enlarged and located on a single printed page when trying to run a new (or forgotten) area.

Not to mention better than getting your $20 mapbook soaked, dirty, lost, ripped up, etc.

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a map company right in the middle of our delivery area that makes maps for all the counties that we provide service (parts of 6). There are several small towns that they do not have the detail maps, so I just print them from Mapquest. My maps are also are marked with details, range numbers and numbers that are out of sequence or where they are not logical.

I've been covering a route for 8 months and my maps are kind of a hot commodity. There are 42 bid routes in my center and I have done all but 6.

TB

Box_Junkie

At our center we use a mapbook with green covers made by Landgrafix. Has a street index in back and covers our centers whole delivery area. Oh yeah we don't buy these the center has boxes of them that we take when we need one.

pkg-king

UpstateNYUPSer;320637 [Relying on your center team to have the proper map and that it is up to date is something that I would rather not bet on. Besides said:
quote]
I dont have ANY problem betting on it. They can either (a) provide me with an up-to-date map or (b) pay me $28.45 an hour to find my way blind. Its a win-win for me either way.I dont want to pay $20 for what I ought to have for free, tax-deductable or not. Any service failures that result from UPS not providing me with a map are simply a business decision on managements part. As far as I am concerned, a map book is like a hand truck, it is a piece of work-related equipment that is UPS's responsibility to provide.

And this is the difference between the old-timers and the new generation:happy2:.