What part of Telematics is this?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by idrivethetruck, Apr 22, 2010.

1. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

In addition to the usual rectangular box glued to the ceiling of my package car, several weeks ago, someone installed a new device to go along with it. I noticed it because of the crude way the wire was run from the rear of the truck to under the dash and into the telematics box. I asked a mechanic what it was and he had never seen one so I'm sure it was a member of management who rigged it in place. They tried to glue it to the roof beside the other box, but the glue didn't stick and I found it hanging. I went ahead and taped it up against the roof so they wouldn't accuse me of "tampering", and I guess it's been recording something ever since. Anyway, it's the only one I have seen in any of the trucks and I'm wondering what it is and what it's recording. Anyone else seen one of these?
  2. browned out

browned out Active Member

It could be a mirror so you can check your hair or see if you have dirt on your face (alot of customers won't tell you) or maybe it is a direct feed to America's Funniest Home Video studios.

We do not have the teli here yet. Can u post more pictures of what the hardware is or PM me with them. Thanks
  3. brownman15

brownman15 New Member

i guessing that you might have a camera in your truck and that is the hard drive to store the video

SWORDFISH New Member

If I knew their was a camera in my truck I would find the lense and cover it w/ dirt. Im not going to be recorded. I have nothing to hide but I still dont want to be recorded.
  5. idrivethetruck

idrivethetruck Slow & steady wins the race.

It's not a hard drive, it's too light. Besides, a hard drive wouldn't have to be mounted to the ceiling, it could be hidden under the dash.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Why don't you just ask them what it is?
  7. DocBrown

DocBrown New Member

GPS Antenna
  8. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

That would take away all of the drama.
  9. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

It's a miniature thermonuclear device. Some day when you least expect it..................
  10. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Do you want to play ???
  11. brett636

brett636 Well-Known Member

12. rod

rod retired and happy

13. hurricanegunner

hurricanegunner UPSPoop

Roach motel?
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

The backing part of telematics is based on your back up lights. If you have wiring running from the back of your truck I would say that this is the reason.
  15. chargedformula

chargedformula Parts on order, will schedule

i have been installing telematics in the cars in our center and i have never seen that. the normal box glued to the roof already has 2 antenna wires going to it, gps and radio. so i wouldnt think its a gps box. there are a ton of unused plugs and wires coming from the telematics box though
  16. Gr8fulMark

Gr8fulMark Member

its for the show Undercover boss check out your next helper See you on TV