What type of route is easier on your body?

Upslady20

Feeders is not a possibility in my center. Our feeder drivers come from another center and pull from our center. We have never been able to get a feeder position in our building.

browned out

Take the rural route. Driving the truck(seat time) is the easiest part of this job. We have one rural rte in our building and that's where the older drivers go to retire. Sure you may have to deal with dogs and bad roads but you will get used to them and your body will get less wear and tear. The route may have a terrible time study as most rural routes do. See how many stops per hour the current driver does. It is staying light out longer so this is an optimum time to learn a new route especially a country route where it is very dark at night. Many rural rtes are around 8-10 stops per hour. Not much pounding on knees or much bulk. Usually diesel cars because of miles. If you are in a part of the country that doesn't receive much snow, it's a no brainer.
Good Luck

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think that there is getting to be a little too much of the name calling here. I see a few posters mentioning "The Terms of Service", but don't seem to be able to comprehend what they mean or don't think they apply to what they post. We evidently have some strong-willed people who don't know when to stop and have to get in the last word. This is getting to be a never-ending cycle that keeps going from thread to thread. This is a community discussion board folks, nothing more. Please try to tone it down a little, we are all strangers who will probably never meet each other in person. We should be able to exchange intelligent ideas and opinions with each other, and kid around a little bit too. Please play nice, as a Moderator on this Board, I don't want to ban anyone.:mad:

dammor

As usual another discussion hijacked. It's not helpful to anyone and I find it boring to say the least.

As for the original subject, I would always go for the rural route. It's not a cakewalk, but fewer stops is always better especially for us older folks. I'm almost 52 and have been doing this job for 27 years. To say that if your body is used to it then it doesn't matter is laughable. 70 pounds is much heavier for me at 52 than it was when I was 25. What I find interesting is that most of the injuries here are happening to the younger people. Perhaps it's because they seem to think they are invincible. I know for a fact I am not.
Live and learn.....