whats the law on this?

Kingpin13

i should (but dont) know the language in teh contract or the law on this..... but at a meeting last week they told us if we keep damaging as much freight as we have been lately, they will start taking it out of our personal paychecks whats the rule on this? it took me back to when i was in high school and first saw the movie FIST, where the dockworkers complained about being charged for dropping crates before the teamsters came in

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear King

My suggestion would be that you quit screwing around trying to pull jokes on each other and focus on moving pallets of peoples belongings without damage. Its really not that hard a concept.

We handle a lot more than you, and while we do damage packages, it seems like you have a serious issue.

d

Kingpin13

way to exagerrate ******* it aint even my shift doin the damages its the outbound, and the inbound dockworkers, i dont work on the dock much as im out in the city

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

way to exagerrate ******* it aint even my shift doin the damages its the outbound, and the inbound dockworkers, i dont work on the dock much as im out in the city

King, you have to admit, danny's post was a logical follow-up to your previous post about pranks and was the first thought that I had when I read your thread. Just do your job, quit screwing around and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Kingpin13

King, you have to admit, danny\'s post was a logical follow-up to your previous post about pranks and was the first thought that I had when I read your thread. Just do your job, quit screwing around and you\'ll have nothing to worry about.

you all seem to think those pranks are an everyday thing those pranks might happen once every few months, thats it, and after you get pranked you do it right back then you stop for months so yes ill admit, for the past quarter of the year, i DID spend 5 minutes of my paid time pulling a prank on a coworker i deeply apologize to UPS and all of you for this the dockworkers damage the freight the most, especially the outbound shift the \"pranks\" have absolutely nothing at all to do with damaged freight anyways

drewed

Shankman
I forget the subsection the contract and im sure the freight one is different but when i first took over the sort we were having missorts and damages in all sorts ways we pcmd with a shop steward and a guy from ie with a bag of thirty smalls that got missorted the day before, this bag is worth 3k in revenue thats many months of wage for pt employee and several for a ft this is all of jobs if this continues to happen....took a couple days but everything dried up, they started reporting the damages.....

Ive seen a lot of ****ty builds on pallets and ive seen a lot of ****ty forklift operators, and your problem could be both and if you prep your pallets well and make sure your load is secure on your forklift you shouldnt have too many damages

drewed

Shankman
you all seem to think those pranks are an everyday thing those pranks might happen once every few months, thats it, and after you get pranked you do it right back then you stop for months so yes ill admit, for the past quarter of the year, i DID spend 5 minutes of my paid time pulling a prank on a coworker i deeply apologize to UPS and all of you for this the dockworkers damage the freight the most, especially the outbound shift the "pranks" have absolutely nothing at all to do with damaged freight anyways

Well atleast you admit to stealing time, most people dont

Kingpin13

I forget the subsection the contract and im sure the freight one is different but when i first took over the sort we were having missorts and damages in all sorts ways we pcmd with a shop steward and a guy from ie with a bag of thirty smalls that got missorted the day before, this bag is worth 3k in revenue thats many months of wage for pt employee and several for a ft this is all of jobs if this continues to happen....took a couple days but everything dried up, they started reporting the damages.....

Ive seen a lot of ****ty builds on pallets and ive seen a lot of ****ty forklift operators, and your problem could be both and if you prep your pallets well and make sure your load is secure on your forklift you shouldnt have too many damages

impossible to do when you work the inbound shift, you are braking the outbound trailers that come to your terminal well nobody at UPS freight believes in or knows how to stack/brace trailers AT ALL they will put a 3,000 lb skid full of hundreds of tiny heavy boxes on a top rack and not brace it at all.....i dont know if they just dont give a **** that it will ALL fall or if they are just that stupid we dont damage much, we cant help that kind of ****......we get some ridiculous trailers but the other day a newer young guy pulled off a huge pallet of tiles (which is pretty damn expensive)....he dropped it and broke pretty much every single tile (many fell out of the boxes, he got wrote up people dont know how to do **** at this company i swear

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it aint even my shift doin the damages its the outbound, and the inbound dockworkers, i dont work on the dock much as im out in the city
Thats what they all say. Its every body else doin it, not me.

And if you are not the one responsible, what are you worried about?

As for exaggeration, i believe you have me beat.

d

Kingpin13

Thats what they all say. Its every body else doin it, not me.

And if you are not the one responsible, what are you worried about?

As for exaggeration, i believe you have me beat.

d

its the truth, its not me...if its somebody else doing it. and im not doing it then its not me u dumb **** and im \"worried\" cuz anybody can damage freight, it happens....lets say i drop a skid tomorrow (everybody has dropped a skid), is there any chance they can actually charge me for it? excuse the **** out of me for askin a gosh darn question u dumb piece of ****

drewed

Shankman
impossible to do when you work the inbound shift, you are braking the outbound trailers that come to your terminal well nobody at UPS freight believes in or knows how to stack/brace trailers AT ALL they will put a 3,000 lb skid full of hundreds of tiny heavy boxes on a top rack and not brace it at all.....i dont know if they just dont give a **** that it will ALL fall or if they are just that stupid we dont damage much, we cant help that kind of ****......we get some ridiculous trailers but the other day a newer young guy pulled off a huge pallet of tiles (which is pretty damn expensive)....he dropped it and broke pretty much every single tile (many fell out of the boxes, he got wrote up people dont know how to do **** at this company i swear

dude, it sounds like you have some anger managment issues, call the EAP line they maybe able to help...but otherwise youre just making excuses oh i cant do it on the inbound side because im too busy, but the outbound guy is going to be just as busy if not busier....as for the bracing, isnt there some reg that says our loads must be braces?

drewed

Shankman
its the truth, its not me...if its somebody else doing it. and im not doing it then its not me u dumb **** and im "worried" cuz anybody can damage freight, it happens....lets say i drop a skid tomorrow (everybody has dropped a skid), is there any chance they can actually charge me for it? excuse the **** out of me for askin a gosh darn question u dumb piece of ****

spanky spanky, do you kiss you mom/kids with that mouth?

not everyone drops skids, careless forklift drivers drop skids, not only is it a service issue its a safety issue so if you dont want to written up for the service aspect how about you explain to little shelley why her dad cant walk because of you not lifting a secure load?

Kingpin13

dude, it sounds like you have some anger managment issues, call the EAP line they maybe able to help...but otherwise youre just making excuses oh i cant do it on the inbound side because im too busy, but the outbound guy is going to be just as busy if not busier....as for the bracing, isnt there some reg that says our loads must be braces?

cant do what on the inbound side? *** are u talkin about? we recieve outbound trailers, which means we have to unload these ****ty trailers...EVERYTHING we load on our shift is going out to my city, its run straight into vans, no stacking, no creative loading, just ran straight in against each wall and yea all trailers SHOULD be braced.....should be and will be are 2 completely different things nothing gets braced right

Kingpin13

spanky spanky, do you kiss you mom/kids with that mouth?

not everyone drops skids, careless forklift drivers drop skids, not only is it a service issue its a safety issue so if you dont want to written up for the service aspect how about you explain to little shelley why her dad cant walk because of you not lifting a secure load?

Kingpin13

And why not?

d

I DONT KNOW do you think we load the freight that comes into our terminal? does that make any sense? all the freight we get comes from other terminals obviously so i dont know why **** dont get braced, i just know all our trailers come in ****ed up

MuppetUK

I don't know if you get this problem in the US, but one of our main problems causing Damaged packages is Bad Customer Loading. A lot of our customers have a "stand trailer" which is left there to load, then a driver will go in with an empty and swap. One of my customers regularly loads pallets with heavy boxes on top of light ones, the boxes overhanging the pallets and nothing shrinkwrapped. The result being, you get to the other end and what few boxes remain on the pallets are crushed and most of the others have fallen off and become damaged!
Problem is, you can tell the customer hes damaging the parcels loading that way, but if he's just a loader that doesn't care, what do you do? If you refuse to take it, they'd ring your boss and you'd get shouted at and end up taking it anywhere or worse the customer will find another company to collect it.
Although there are no dounbt some idiots at UPS that don't know how to load, a large percentage of our damages come in loaded by the customer that way. Of course thanks to the worldwide UPS "pass the buck" System, the driver always gets the blame!

Kingpin13

I don\'t know if you get this problem in the US, but one of our main problems causing Damaged packages is Bad Customer Loading. A lot of our customers have a "stand trailer" which is left there to load, then a driver will go in with an empty and swap. One of my customers regularly loads pallets with heavy boxes on top of light ones, the boxes overhanging the pallets and nothing shrinkwrapped. The result being, you get to the other end and what few boxes remain on the pallets are crushed and most of the others have fallen off and become damaged!
Problem is, you can tell the customer hes damaging the parcels loading that way, but if he\'s just a loader that doesn\'t care, what do you do? If you refuse to take it, they\'d ring your boss and you\'d get shouted at and end up taking it anywhere or worse the customer will find another company to collect it.
Although there are no dounbt some idiots at UPS that don\'t know how to load, a large percentage of our damages come in loaded by the customer that way. Of course thanks to the worldwide UPS "pass the buck" System, the driver always gets the blame!

the freight should be recouped and rewrapped BEFORE loading or all the g forces of a tractor trailer going 65mph and over bumps WILL destroy that ****......it happens all the time