When you retired what was your final day like?

Dnd67

We probably put about 55 routes on the road a day, I worked out of Forest Park Hub, a small hub that has two centers on the Southside of Atlanta. About five of those six drivers had actually retired a year or so earlier and the tough guys said they didn't want any recognition, they changed their minds. Half of them were on disability also. My shop steward walked in one day and quit with no notice when my Local gave him a Business Agent job. I told my center manager a few months earlier and told him when I mailed in my paperwork, he avoided me my last two months and wouldn't look me in the eye whenever I talked to him. Tough.
My acrylic plaque must still be on back order ! Retired April 30 2022 . No plaque or party . Long COVID disability due to diabetes , tachycardia, etc.

vvv

I knew a driver who just called in and said bye.
Sounds about like how it will play out for me as I'm not a planner.

Lately after I wake up and check in to see if they need me and it's a yes I just sometimes stand around for a moment and think to myself....."should I just call em' back and tell them I'm done?"

In general it'll happen sooner rather than later......not a bad feeling. :)

Over70irregs

Sounds about like how it will play out for me as I'm not a planner.

Lately after I wake up and check in to see if they need me and it's a yes I just sometimes stand around for a moment and think to myself....."should I just call em' back and tell them I'm done?"

In general it'll happen sooner rather than later......not a bad feeling. :)
Take your time. Do not let young guys pressure you out.

vvv

Take your time. Do not let young guys pressure you out.
No pressure in any aspect my friend. I do as I please as always no matter what the situation in life is.

The younger crew I think actually like having me around as they see how I conduct myself and learn from seeing how I do things and come asking for advice here n there....and can't get straight talk and action from anybody else.

When I work some of them like to roll past the back of my truck in the mornings and kid around commenting on the load or "lack of it" should I say. They tell me "I have the juice", :) ..... another young buck has nicknamed me "Chrome" because he said he only sees metal in my truck :) :) ..... and a couple of the young cleaners always stop and ask "what's coming off today?"

I Just tell them to do the job right and act accordingly and they can have the same.

Over70irregs

No pressure in any aspect my friend. I do as I please as always no matter what the situation in life is.

The younger crew I think actually like having me around as they see how I conduct myself and learn from seeing how I do things and come asking for advice here n there....and can't get straight talk and action from anybody else.

When I work some of them like to roll past the back of my truck in the mornings and kid around commenting on the load or "lack of it" should I say. They tell me "I have the juice", :) ..... another young buck has nicknamed me "Chrome" because he said he only sees metal in my truck :) :) ..... and a couple of the young cleaners always stop and ask "what's coming off today?"

I Just tell them to do the job right and act accordingly and they can have the same.
Chrome was hilarious. I remember older drivers back when.

qdg2

I had to show up to be paid. I did(1 hour) and left. Dumped my uniforms in a black garbage bag by the office.... They provided a small BBQ spread and cake. It was nice of them( I said no to any presentation/spread). They did it anyway. I talked to a few folks that happened to be there. Felt really strange. Reminded me of my last day of high school.

The harshest reality is not getting $2k paychecks every week. Though getting $4k for nothing every month is nice...

Over70irregs

I had to show up to be paid. I did(1 hour) and left. Dumped my uniforms in a black garbage bag by the office.... They provided a small BBQ spread and cake. It was nice of them( I said no to any presentation/spread). They did it anyway. I talked to a few folks that happened to be there. Felt really strange. Reminded me of my last day of high school.

The harshest reality is not getting $2k paychecks every week. Though getting $4k for nothing every month is nice...
Don’t look back

Thebrownblob

Congratulations

qdg2

Don’t look back
I'm not really. I happen to drive by there every day and have little to no interest at all. I catch myself saying "we" a lot. When I talk with someone about my former career. I try to stop and say "they".

I was invited to a get together of retirees....I declined. Some of those folks never gave me the time of day or were racist. Why would we get together now? A lot of these guys were top hands and didn't respect many coming up. I was never close to being a top hand with 42 years since we always lost classification seniority. Even though I was a rookie to them....I often had more company seniority. Only class seniority meant anything to them. I'm returning the respect.

Over70irregs

I'm not really. I happen to drive by there every day and have little to no interest at all. I catch myself saying "we" a lot. When I talk with someone about my former career. I try to stop and say "they".

I was invited to a get together of retirees....I declined. Some of those folks never gave me the time of day or were racist. Why would we get together now? A lot of these guys were top hands and didn't respect many coming up. I was never close to being a top hand with 42 years since we always lost classification seniority. Even though I was a rookie to them....I often had more company seniority. Only class seniority meant anything to them. I'm returning the respect.
Cash that check n go get breakfast.

25TOLIFE

My final day of work at UPS was painful. I tore my rotator cuff in my shoulder pulling a 5th wheel handle. Had surgery and 8 month rehab, and just decided to not come back. 38 years was about as much fun as I could stand. I did all the paperwork while off, and never got to say bye to my coworkers.
Same here had 27 years. Blew out my shoulder and neck dragging the loaded handcart up a flight of steps. MRI said I needed shoulder replacement UPS said it was nice knowing you. Four year comp and settlement battle to follow.

Over70irregs

Same here had 27 years. Blew out my shoulder and neck dragging the loaded handcart up a flight of steps. MRI said I needed shoulder replacement UPS said it was nice knowing you. Four year comp and settlement battle to follow.
Get a good lawyer. Organize documents