What was it like when Jim Casey died

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember seeing him from a distance in the original Atlanta Hub on his "Farewell Tour". He was going around on a motor coach visiting buildings. Casey had been retired and ignored by the Board of Directors for years at that time. He had wanted to start Next Day Air Delivery years before FedEx existed and the company didn't think it was worth it. We had "Blue Label" Second Day Air back then. One of my uncles married this woman who was previously married to a big shot UPS Personnel Manager. This guy had hired Jack Rogers and Oz Nelson who became UPS's CEO and she told me all kind of stories about how they moved around the country as UPS spread all over the Midwest. Aunt Eleanor got 70,000 shares of UPS stock in the divorce, which was way before the IPO. My uncle later met her at an AA meeting at Hilton Head Island, SC and they got married, this was back in the 1980's and they are both gone now. She told me about eating dinner with him in NYC and Greenwich Ct back in the day. I knew he never married but my aunt never said anything about his preferences. I don't remember any big deal at work when he finally passed away.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
I remember seeing him from a distance in the original Atlanta Hub on his "Farewell Tour". He was going around on a motor coach visiting buildings. Casey had been retired and ignored by the Board of Directors for years at that time. He had wanted to start Next Day Air Delivery years before FedEx existed and the company didn't think it was worth it. We had "Blue Label" Second Day Air back then. One of my uncles married this woman who has previously married to a bigshot UPS Personel Manager. This guy had hired Oz Nelson and some other UPS CEO and she told me all kind of stories about how they moved around the country as UPS spread all over the Midwest. Aunt Eleanor got 70,000 shares of UPS stock in the divorce, which was way before the IPO. My uncle later met her at an AA meeting at Hilton Head Island, SC and they got married, this was back in the 1980's and they are both gone now. She told me about eating dinner with him in NYC and Stratford Ct back in the day. I knew he never married but my aunt never said anything about his preferences. I don't remember any big deal at work when he finally passed away.
It’s disappointing to hear that nobody said anything when he died….

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
@rod @scratch

When you guys first started off, how would you compare the old timers then (people who have worked for over 30 years) vs the old timers of today? Would you see people still working at 65+ like you see now driving a package car? Or was it completely unheard of? Were they in general more disgruntled at the state of the company, more optimistic or more much more indifferent?

Was it much easier to retire then?

Sorry to bother about this, but you are the only guys i know in this earth who would know

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
@rod @scratch

When you guys first started off, how would you compare the old timers then (people who have worked for over 30 years) vs the old timers of today? Would you see people still working at 65+ like you see now driving a package car? Or was it completely unheard of?
I was 17 when I started as a Loader on the Midnight Sort in 1975 and I retired after 37 years as a package driver in 2020 when I was 62. I wasn't even thinking about staying at UPS when I started. The money was always good and I didn't even think about benefits back then. I worked with about six guys who were Full-Time inside Hub workers, they would work 6-10PM, take and hour lunch, and then come back and work with me 11pm-3am. They didn't give a crap about anything and their jobs went away when they eventually retired. I finally went driving in 1984, it has always been hard work. The job seemed simple back then, and everybody went out drinking together after work, management included. UPS even bought us dinner and pitchers of beer after work sometimes, I think these were called "Challenges For The Eighties" meetings or something like that. We had some guys that went into Feeder and some like myself stayed in Package. A few quit, got fired, went into management, or quit to start their own businesses over the years. I worked with one guy who drove until he was 70. He retired and changed his mind and came back a month later, then he worked two more years. Some people just enjoy working like I did. You learn to ignore the stupid stuff and not get stressed out about things you can't control. I tried to enjoy the positive parts of the job. The money/benefits, working on my own all day, and my customers were things that I missed about it. I watched a lot of people work until they started getting injuries a lot. Bad feet, knees, hips, backs, and shoulders are common injuries. The stops per on road car went up after COVID hit. I broke my toe one day stepping out of my package car and I decided it was time to retire at that point before things got worst.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was 17 when I started as a Loader on the Midnight Sort in 1975 and I retired after 37 years as a package driver in 2020 when I was 62. I wasn't even thinking about staying at UPS when I started. The money was always good and I didn't even think about benefits back then. I worked with about six guys who were Full-Time inside Hub workers, they would work 6-10PM, take and hour lunch, and then come back and work with me 11pm-3am. They didn't give a crap about anything and their jobs went away when they eventually retired. I finally went driving in 1984, it has always been hard work. The job seemed simple back then, and everybody went out drinking together after work, management included. UPS even bought us dinner and pitchers of beer after work sometimes, I think these were called "Challenges For The Eighties" meetings or something like that. We had some guys that went into Feeder and some like myself stayed in Package. A few quit, got fired, went into management, or quit to start their own businesses over the years. I worked with one guy who drove until he was 70. He retired and changed his mind and came back a month later, then he worked two more years. Some people just enjoy working like I did. You learn to ignore the stupid stuff and not get stressed out about things you can't control. I tried to enjoy the positive parts of the job. The money/benefits, working on my own all day, and my customers were things that I missed about it. I watched a lot of people work until they started getting injuries a lot. Bad feet, knees, hips, backs, and shoulders are common injuries. The stops per on road car went up after COVID hit. I broke my toe one day stepping out of my package car and I decided it was time to retire at that point before things got worst.
Average dispatch was usually under 9 hours then without any of the overweight packages. Your body could last a lot longer working like that vs what it's like now. Plus they trusted you do the job without tracking every second of the day. Much more realistic time allowances then too.

You couldn't even make it 50 years...

JK

.. congratulations brother, you earned it

badpal

Me too.
Remember they (UPS) used to make a really big deal out of "Founders Day"? You hear nothing of it nowadays.
Remember the old days the picture of Jim Casey and his business philosophies hung in the center managers office. Also remember the day a fellow driver rescued it from the trash.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Before he died, they shoved it up your ass.
The day he died, the next morning at the PCM, they had a 60 second moment of silence.
The next day, they shoved it up your ass.

Fitting, because he was gay.

oldupsman

Yep, they used to have these dinners quite often you could bring your wife or significant other. Now they hate us too much. L O L.
Circle of Honor dinners used to be great. Fancy meal in a nice hotel ballroom.
Open bar, live band. Free room for the night. Breakfast in the hotel the next
morning.
Center manager would get invited if you were getting inducted. Had more then one
manager tell me it was by far the nicest thing the company did.