Who Is Watching?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I started at FDX in 89 with the buyout, spent 15 years there and took the buyout in 2003, Fred DID NOT HAVE TO fund the pension and it was NOT part of the purchase agreement. I was there. My Wife is a FedEx employee and has been so for 18 years. Wages are similar, simple as that. As far as my romantic book cover, I have crawled my way back over the last 8 years. I had to EARN my promotions every step of the way, nothing handed to me. I chose to succeed because I wanted to. Complaining will get you nowhere, trust me. The last person I want to promote is someone who milks the clock, drags their feet, and blames someone else for their failings. What are you going to do?
As I've said, these are two great companies, they are wired differently, but both provide opportunities for those willing to seek them out. I was there at the birth of UPS Airlines. Not many know that their flight dispatch started at LCK but I am glad to have been a part of it. By the way, you don't have to leave your job, but if I sounded as miserable as you folks do, I would have nobody but myself to blame. You have choices...

BS. I was there too, and worked in a former Tigers facility immediately following the merger. If you had just started with FedEx in 1989, you'd know next to nothing about the merger, as is evident by your posting. First, please explain how wages are "similar", when they aren't at all? Second, if FedEx was such a great company, why did you take the buyout and have to EARN your way back up through the ranks at UPS? And third, please explain why Fedex is a "great" company when it treats it's employees like crap, takes away their pension, and forces them to continuously perform unsafe acts in order to just keep their position? You are absolutely full of it.

vantexan

I started at FDX in 89 with the buyout, spent 15 years there and took the buyout in 2003...Wages are similar, simple as that. As far as my romantic book cover, I have crawled my way back over the last 8 years. I had to EARN my promotions..
The key here is that MANAGEMENT pay is similar. He's a true believer. Here's what I don't like about many who go into management. They are willing to crawl over anything and anyone to get into and keep that management job. Not all, but way too many. Lying, cheating, stealing, whatever it takes to promote themselves. Guess what, many of us turn down going into management just because we'd rather do without than to exploit others for our own gain. If we sound miserable it's due to too many years dealing with FedEx management. Again, not all, but I would bet good money most are this way, or became this way after going into management. And as this poster appears to have spent most of his time in management why should I listen to him telling me how great I've got it? Doesn't have a clue.

fedups

Your right class, I don't have a clue. BTW I started at Tigers in 86 LCK on the ramp, do you want me to scan my old I.D. card and send it to you? WORKED my way into Flight Ops and then the merger(was there in the meeting w/fred and pilots/seniority concerns). Transferred to IND and ran the department as a non manager. Facts won't change your minds, but if your ever in INDY, send me a msg and we can dig a little deeper. I chose to leave because it was a generous offer. Never exploited anyone for my own gain, I'm a go-getter and do what I'm told. You might try it for awhile and explore your options, or you can continue to chew your spew and blame someone else for your misery... Think about it... Are you going to leave your success in the hands of a person or company, or are you going to choose how you will succeed? C'mon kids, it really is up to you!

vantexan

Your right class, I don't have a clue. BTW I started at Tigers in 86 LCK on the ramp, do you want me to scan my old I.D. card and send it to you? WORKED my way into Flight Ops and then the merger(was there in the meeting w/fred and pilots/seniority concerns). Transferred to IND and ran the department as a non manager. Facts won't change your minds, but if your ever in INDY, send me a msg and we can dig a little deeper. I chose to leave because it was a generous offer. Never exploited anyone for my own gain, I'm a go-getter and do what I'm told. You might try it for awhile and explore your options, or you can continue to chew your spew and blame someone else for your misery... Think about it... Are you going to leave your success in the hands of a person or company, or are you going to choose how you will succeed? C'mon kids, it really is up to you!

You illustrate my point. Saying you advanced because you are a go-getter is really saying that those who don't "advance" aren't go-getters. The mentality is that if a person has anything going for them they'd be in management. Anyone who chooses to stay as a courier is a loser and deserves the little they're getting. If you don't advance you're miserable, not happy like those in management.

I'm all for people moving up, taking charge, bettering themselves. I've known a few who actually care about their employees and who didn't display the above attitude. But I stand by my statement about many in management as I've personally been lied to, manipulated, and cheated many times and quite a few of those mgrs have since been fired or demoted. But not before they put me through alot of garbage. And you still haven't told us how pay is similar between FedEx and UPS for us couriers. Not even close unless you think making less than $20hr after 15 years($17.64 after 13 years for me) is comparable to $32hr after 3 years? Seriously?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Good for you, Horatio. The merger of pilot seniority was a complete cluster, even if Fred did fully fund the pension, which he had to, or face a massive revolt. Or a union, which he got anyway (ALPA). You're a "go-getter", which at FedEx means you are go-fer who has sold their soul to Fred. Most of the buyouts were only for an approximate year of salary, which really isn't that generous considering how you had to tear yourself away from such a "great" company.

Thanks, but I'll keep my soul, and my morality, because it's not in my personal makeup to lie and abuse employees I would manage. That's the FedEx way, and to say otherwise would be a falsehood. I like your story about running the dept at IND as a non-manager, which is typical FedEx. Pay someone a lot less, instead of paying what the job is worth.

"Doing what you're told" at FedEx is also problematic, at least from an ethical standpoint. Glad to hear that you've seen things Fred's way and have weaseled your way up the food chain.

LTFedExer

Anyone who chooses to stay as a courier is a loser and deserves the little they're getting. If you don't advance you're miserable, not happy like those in management.
Bull. You couldn't pay me enough to be a manager these days. Besides, I like being outdoors, not stuck insode.

vantexan

Bull. You couldn't pay me enough to be a manager these days. Besides, I like being outdoors, not stuck insode.

Taking things out of context LTFer? I was describing an attitude I've observed in many mgrs over the years, not saying couriers are actually losers. OK?

Ghostwriter

OK- fedups So, we all have had a past. Hey, my grandfather took shrapnel in WWII and my dad worked on F4 Phantoms in Vietnam. The past is simply history. Commendable and even honorable as it may be, the reality now is very grim for the career courier. As for your advice on choices, I tendered my letter of recognition today. I can't say I will miss 3 hour late freight, Black Fridays, and an under-staffed work force at peak. As I make my way to the door, I tip my hat to all who have to continue to drive, unload AM sorts, work reloads, deliver in sweltering heat, flooding rain, sleet, and snow. I commend you for the fact you "clawed" your way back up to the top. However, you didn't have to- because we all have "choices".

franknitty

Who cares if Memphis is watching ! With the exception of 3 ppl i trust in my station, everyone else are a bunch of cutthroats ! You turn your backs, and they will stick it in, deep ! And management, they'll shank you too !

Ghostwriter

Yes, in deed franknitty, I have seen people (through the years) sell-out people for nothing more than a feather in their hat. In other words, the back stabbers did it for a small fraction of recognition from management. There was a song in the 1970's that very well described these people. "A frown is a smile turned upside down, my friend" was part of it. I ,for one always tried to never say anything about someone I would not say to their face. I hope as I depart from fdx, I have some respect of those I have worked with through the years. To me that is priceless.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I know van was on a campaign to not accept the baubles the laud us with for safe driving and anniversaries, but I got the list for 5 yrs safe driving, and I saw the damndest thing.

On the top row, next to luggage and mantle clocks, is a DeWalt SAWZALL!! I wonder if they would get mad about me putting in my own sunroof on my econoline? I'm sorry van, but I REALLY, REALLY want it!...lol It's either that or a tent for my daughter...

Last edited:

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Oh baby!
I'm due for 5 yrs. of safe driving since I just got my "leather like" duffel bag for hanging out with these clowns for 5 yrs.
I'm definetely getting a sawzall.

Heck,
I already own 3 tents. Gonna need to be living out of some of them if this March pay raise doesn't fruition.

snackdad

In the early days of Federal Express you were awarded a lapel pin for each year of safe driving. They were made of 10k gold and had a number stamped onto it to show how many years of safe driving were achieved. You can still choose them as a safety award but back then they were automatically given. I collected about 14 or 15 of them before I started choosing binoculars and other cheap yard sale stuff instead. When Gold got to a pretty good price last year I took all of them to a scrap dealer and got about 400-500 dollars for the little bag of pins. Good riddance to them, never had a second thought. The old days are gone.