who makes the best drivers?

oldupsman

You can have all the training you want. Doesn't mean a thing unless you're mentally tough.
​And mental toughness is something you have or you don't.

stink219

Depends on the definition of "best". I take "best" as a driver that works safe first, follows the direction of our collective bargaining agreement and then delivers packages if time permits. Conversely, my manager might think the "best" driver is one that gets as many stops delivered as he tells them. But, I feel that a PT preloader that is air qualified tends to be the best drivers. In our building, the FT supervisors tend to be the worst drivers and I have NEVER seen a manager behind the wheel of a brownie.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on the definition of "best". I take "best" as a driver that works safe first, follows the direction of our collective bargaining agreement and then delivers packages if time permits. Conversely, my manager might think the "best" driver is one that gets as many stops delivered as he tells them. But, I feel that a PT preloader that is air qualified tends to be the best drivers. In our building, the FT supervisors tend to be the worst drivers and I have NEVER seen a manager behind the wheel of a brownie.

Yeah I kind of worded it wrong. I meant to say does one shift have employees more likely to make it as a driver than other shifts.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I've actually been shocked at who has made it as a driver...there have been many folk I'd consider the laziest people in the building who made it as drivers. If I had to guess I'd say it's a combo of mental toughness and good organization that seems to make good drivers.

The_Brown_Hornet

Really smart 20 something kids from the I.E. Let me list all of thier "perfect" qualities.....

They can driver faster, they never get caught in traffic, have bad weather or get caught in delays.
They never miss a scan.
They never sheet closed or not in between 12 and 1 or after 5.
They never have bad loads.
Every stop is right beside the road or street and there is always someone standing there with the COD check.
They run 100 % to trace because PAS and EDD are perfect.
They all run scratch because the time allowances are absolutely correct.
All of thier Surepost package are always bagged and of coarse that saves loads of time.
They're min/max is perfect so they always work at the desired 9.whatever planned day. (remember they are always scratch)
They never have to look for a residencial location because every street has a sign and everyhouse has a number.
They're truck is never blew out because everything will fit on the shelves, QVC would never ship a recliner in a over sized box.

'Im sure i've missed a few things but the amazing thing is the I.E. wizards can do all of this with out leaving thier cubicle. The world they live in is perfect. They believe the only reason things don't work out is poor performance. I would love for just a day or two to put every single one of then in a package car and make them run a route and run it scratch with the plans they insist upon. Just sayin

The_Brown_Hornet

The really snazzy dressed, highly educated 20 something kids in the I.E. department. Let me explain.......

They can driver faster since they never get caught in traffic or have bad weather.
They follow 100% trace because PAS and EDD are perfect.
They all run scratch, since every single time allowance is absolutely correct.
Every stop is right beside the road or street.
They never wait for a signature or a check because customers are always just standing there waiting.
They never sheet a package closed or not in between 12 and 1 or after 5.
Loads are perfect, every package fits on the shelf.QVC would never ship a recliner would they?
They would be 100% on schedule pick up time, again they're dispatch is perfect.
Since they are always scratch, they would all work exactly the 9.whatever planned day everyday. No need for any more 9.5 language.

I'm sure I've missed a few things but the most amazing thing about these people is they can do all this from thier little office. If you don't belive me just ask one of them the next time you see one of them.