Why do you stay?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Be careful what you wish for. You ought to experience how quickly time flys once you have retired

Rod, you wouldn't recognize the place if you came back. So much (too much) has changed. Customer service has taken a back seat to the bottom line. We have drivers making pickups before the drivers making deliveries. Remember when customers used to be able to set their clocks by us? Now we are like the cable guys--"We'll be there sometime between 9 and 5." Drivers have little input over how their routes are run and catch hell if we break trace to try to dump a bulk stop or make a delivery to a customer we meet on the road.

I'm sure you are right--retirement will be a big adjustment, but it is one that I am already planning for as I hope to substitute teach or perhaps write for our local newspaper. UPS is a means to an end and right now I simply hope to make it to the end. Dave.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, you wouldn't recognize the place if you came back. So much (too much) has changed. Customer service has taken a back seat to the bottom line. We have drivers making pickups before the drivers making deliveries. Remember when customers used to be able to set their clocks by us? Now we are like the cable guys--"We'll be there sometime between 9 and 5." Drivers have little input over how their routes are run and catch hell if we break trace to try to dump a bulk stop or make a delivery to a customer we meet on the road.

I'm sure you are right--retirement will be a big adjustment, but it is one that I am already planning for as I hope to substitute teach or perhaps write for our local newspaper. UPS is a means to an end and right now I simply hope to make it to the end. Dave.

Damm-----coming back-----thats a scary thought. :surprised: Having the old "UPS nightmare" once in awhile (dreaming about the delivery day that never ends) is enough for me. I still have a lot of friends at work and between them and the BC I get the picture of how screwed up things have gotten. One friend is retiring in Oct after 31 years as a driver. I always swore he would never give it up because he has such a great route and he loves his overtime $$$$$$$$- always 55 to 60 hrs a week. Anyway he finally confessed that he's fed up with it. The beginning of the end of UPS being a great place to work was when they went public. BIG MISTAKE. I don't belive that management is as clueless as they seem to be---deep down inside they all know they have created a monster.

Overpaid Union Thug

..........So much (too much) has changed. Customer service has taken a back seat to the bottom line. We have drivers making pickups before the drivers making deliveries. Remember when customers used to be able to set their clocks by us? Now we are like the cable guys--"We'll be there sometime between 9 and 5."

This sounds almost exactly like what a CUSTOMER was saying to me the other day. I threw in the rest about breaking trace and all that.

Re-Raise

I was thinking the other day when I heard for the 10th time how IMPORTANT it was to get a closed list for July 3rd.

What if remote delivery was still in effect? They would probably try to pile entire loops under the belt for days to see how many routes they could cut.

Uh oh I hope no reads this and decides that would be a good idea.

A

anonymous6

After reading a bunch of negativity towards UPS in other threads it would make any person just stopping in to check things out wonder what makes someone stick around and work for UPS. I know for most, the money is a big incentive, but in the end happiness is what should reallymatter in your job choice. Now while I don't really like working till 7 p.m. some nights, i appreciate my job and the opportunities that UPS has brought to me that I might possibly might not have been given otherwise.

So why do YOU stay?

It is part of the agreement I made with the FEDS to stay out of prison.

that's all i can say.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just like everyone else who answers honestly - for the money. :wink2:

UPS use to have a management workshop back in the 80's called People's Workshop. One of the exercises was to discuss whether people work for the Money, Self-Fulfillment or some other BS reason. It was always "for the money" with just a few starry-eyed romantics going for the other options. The exercise was helpful in identifying the people that worked at UPS who were goobers. UPS is no HP.:sad-little:

Qualification: I had not worked in an office environment at that point ... might be a little more PC now, but probably not. :happy-very:

filthpig

I stay because of these people at my house with their unreasonable demands for food, clothing and shelter. Hmmph. Freeloaders.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would pay 1 million between 400 employees for them to go home for the day if I hit for over 100 million. Call it charity or work stoppage... :D

over9five

Staff member
Money is the only reason we're here
Only a fool would think otherwise.
No-one is here simply because they like it.
Everyone's basic needs require money.
You can't disagree with this.