Why don't package cars have back-up sirens

SmallPackageBoi

Missloader
Not that it's too hard to honk your horn every 2 seconds, but as a safety measure, we should have automatic backing 'alerts' such as certain fork-lifts and such have. I'm Canadian so I can not explain this well

oldngray

nowhere special
RoadRunnerBeepBeep-vi.jpg

upschuck

In all seriousness, I asked that when I started, and he said they didn't want us to feel comfortable backing, and do it more.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In all seriousness, I asked that when I started, and he said they didn't want us to feel comfortable backing, and do it more.

The key word here is "comfortable". Back up beepers tend to make the driver feel as though everyone can here him when in fact they tend to become part of the background noise.

Beeping the horn every 2-3 seconds is a method for a reason.

During the PCM this morning our on-car praised a driver for having the least backs in our center. He said that he averages 2 per day. Up on the belt he told us he likes to put the PC in to neutral and coast backward to a stop. You should have seen his face when I told him that Telematics tracks that.

MC0493

From what i heard in school, back up beepers blend into an environment and people ignore them, obviously the horn gets more attention, or just don't back up, then you don't worry about your lack of back up beeper.

Johney

The key word here is "comfortable". Back up beepers tend to make the driver feel as though everyone can here him when in fact they tend to become part of the background noise.

Beeping the horn every 2-3 seconds is a method for a reason.

During the PCM this morning our on-car praised a driver for having the least backs in our center. He said that he averages 2 per day. Up on the belt he told us he likes to put the PC in to neutral and coast backward to a stop. You should have seen his face when I told him that Telematics tracks that.
*hear*

BostonBo

I think people pay more attention to a backing up beeping than a horn blowing. They know beeping means somebody is backing, while a blowing horn may just mean somebody is being a jackass. All package cars should come with them.